Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to elray

Re: Export Business

What they could do to stop this is put a hardware based region lock on them so they can only be activated on a carrier in the country in which they were originally sold (even if unlocked) like the region locks on DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

A little engineering on the part of Apple would put a stop on the illegal export of iPhones. It would have to be a hardware based solution so it would be impossible for hackers to remove the region lock. My proposal does not stop them from roaming in another country (provided they have a sim from the home country where the phone was sold) but prevents them from being activated on a carrier outside the country where the phone was originally sold.

Another solution would be a cheaper version of the iPhone that operates on US frequencies only (GSM 850/1900 and CDMA 800/1900) instead of international (GSM 900/1800).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

barn25

join:2005-11-17
Springfield, IL

Wouldn't be feasible and if you did that to a phone people tend to get in a uproar.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
reply to IowaCowboy

Wow, that is a really bad idea.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

The reason I suggest region locks is to enforce export control laws. There are countries where the iPhone is not sold and each country has its own regulations regarding mobile devices and the devices sold for that country are tailored to the country in which they are sold.

The main reason I suggested region locks is to crack down on the black market for stolen mobile devices and like the OP said that there is a huge issue with stolen mobile devices being sold overseas.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

What they could do to stop this is put a hardware based region lock on them so they can only be activated on a carrier in the country in which they were originally sold (even if unlocked) like the region locks on DVDs and Blu-ray Discs.

Another solution would be a cheaper version of the iPhone that operates on US frequencies only (GSM 850/1900 and CDMA 800/1900) instead of international (GSM 900/1800).

Can you imagine the consumer backlash? Never mind the international travelers.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

There are countries where the iPhone is not sold and each country has its own regulations regarding mobile devices and the devices sold for that country are tailored to the country in which they are sold.

Those aren't export issues. They're import and regulatory issues.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

A little engineering on the part of Apple would put a stop on the illegal export of iPhones. It would have to be a hardware based solution so it would be impossible for hackers to remove the region lock. My proposal does not stop them from roaming in another country (provided they have a sim from the home country where the phone was sold) but prevents them from being activated on a carrier outside the country where the phone was originally sold.

Hmm, bad idea, I have a unlocked phone that I purchased from the carrier, I travel throughout the world and get sims for the various carriers in the countries I travel in to avoid huge international roaming charges, what you are trying to propose would make the ability impossible.

Also manufacturer already have different phones based on different frequencies, but a lot of them overlap so that would be impossible to do - and it would not be cheaper, it would make it more expensive due to the increase in manufacturing costs and the fact the number of devices sold before a profit is returned would be a lot higher