Search similar:

uniqs
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

So fed up!

I just got a new roommate . I said if we shared the internet he wouldn't download torrents. I had this weird feeling and didn't trust him. So, what I did was setup an OPENDNS account and blocked P2P websites. What do I see come up 16 times in one day! Pirate Bay now he is blocked via DNS entries. I purchased a router which works with DDWRT- Now I am going to have to do DNS blocking, Layer 2 blocking + IP Tables which I already have a set made specifically for bittorrent.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

1 recommendation

beck

MVM

why share then? tell him to get his own.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

2 recommendations

blohner to brianiscool

to brianiscool
Simple solution: Stop to share. Pay your own bill - use your connect according to TOS.. No potential legal trouble - and no immediate trouble either

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

2 recommendations

Dustyn to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
I don't get it... are you asking for security assistance? Or was there even a question in there?
brianiscool
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

These were the sites he was accessing

1 forum.suprbay.org
P2P/File sharing
2 kat.ph
P2P/File sharing
3 spi.domainsponsor.com
Adware
4 extended.dmtracker.com
Adware
5 static.utorrent.com
P2P/File sharing
6 vs.dmtracker.com
Adware
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

1 recommendation

b_p_smith

Premium Member

If you're going to use DD-WRT, maybe look at a bandwidth monitor utility. I use the one discussed at »www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/vi ··· ?t=81432.
The nice thing about that is you can track bandwidth usage per MAC and by setting up a simple file, you can associate MACs with users and graph per-user usage as well.
That doesn't track *who* he connected to, but you have that part well in hand. But others have used this solution to divvie up the cost-sharing based on percentage of usage.

Brad.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

1 recommendation

Buddel to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I don't get it.

Neither do I. Still looking for the question... ... ...
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to b_p_smith

to b_p_smith
Nah, Layer 2 blocking , DNS Blocking and IP table keywords
should stop him. I am going closing all VPN, TOR ports.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Remind me again why you had them open in the first place...?

Or, create a guest account and block them. Limit bandwidth to boot on QoS.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

If someone enables encryption on bittorrent can that be blocked?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game

Premium Member

You are going on like you are sharing your toothbrush with a roomy and he is using it to clean toe cheese...give him a break and stop spying on his shit.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

I just got a new roommate . I said if we shared the internet he wouldn't download torrents. I had this weird feeling and didn't trust him. So, what I did was setup an OPENDNS account and blocked P2P websites. What do I see come up 16 times in one day! Pirate Bay now he is blocked via DNS entries. I purchased a router which works with DDWRT- Now I am going to have to do DNS blocking, Layer 2 blocking + IP Tables which I already have a set made specifically for bittorrent.

I guess you may cut the wires too... But why are you posting all of that in this forum? Do you have a question? Do you have suggestions, that could interested others? Anything else security related? And what is the point of this thread?

And please don't tell us what sites your roommate is visiting. I'm sure no one cares about it here...

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

...stop spying on his shit.

Wrong answer. When the crap goes wrong, and they name you for your connection for this crap, it does come down to you to mitigate the damage.

Pleading ignorance doesn't go far for that kind of money spent to defend yourself.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

You mean like sharing the internet against the TOS of your provider..sooo funny..just be careful cause I am your nanny.
Love that third party contracting!

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Being in the same household should quash that. However, opening yourself to violations is just stupid. CYA. Cover your ass.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
It's not against TOS for multiple people in the same house to use the connection. That's like saying your spouse can't use the connection because it's in your name.

However, in this case, the account is in the OP's name (apparently) and the roomie IS doing things that aren't, err, kosher, so to speak. Herein lies the problem.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

1 recommendation

pcdebb to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
i hate to laugh, but this is just too funny