clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

QOS settings for hulu plus and Netflix?

I have the Actiontec Q1000... I started using Hulu plus and netflix and they are killing my internet. Does anyone know a good place to start for QOS settings in the actiontec for hulu plus and netflix?
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

mrhoogles

join:2012-03-02
Ames, IA
they really shouldn't be, ive got a zoom ADSL2+ modem and a proper router, 6.5mbit down, can do 2 HD streams on netflix and still web browse just fine
Expand your moderator at work

mrhoogles

Ames, IA

Re: QOS settings for hulu plus and Netflix?

something cheap that runs dd-wrt, i have a WHR-HP-GN, it was dirt cheap and does ok

clevere1
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA
kudos:1
reply to clevere1
This modem is more than capable of doing QOS .. no need for something new.
--
Where's th' DAFFY DUCK EXHIBIT??

codyyy

@embarqhsd.net
i have had the same problem for months ive tried a couple different routers and nothing will work Qos just doesn't seem to phase netflix for some stupid reason

mrhoogles

Ames, IA
in dd-wrt "httpvideo" seems to work[?], i guess you have to remember that it can only do outgoing QoS, but it still seems to have a good affect.

EDIT: hmm, it probably uses SSL so you can always go ahead and set SSL in QoS too :3

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to clevere1
Get a router that does DD-WRT and go into QoS settings and tell it to not let one PC use more than 75-80% of the connection in each direction (you tell it how many kbps you want it to allow)

We have two Mac's, a Roku, PS3, and a PC and that's how i was able to make the 20/896k work since the upload was so low compared to the download, we'd have issues when multiple things were in use like someone would not be able to pull up web pages.

Or just call and see if you can get 40/5 and that should take care of all of your issues (since you're in WA and that was legacy Qwest territory, they should be able to do it in most spots.

mrhoogles

Ames, IA
i can do 2 HD streams at once on netflix with 6.5mbit down...