uniqs

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Roku3?

Looking for something that will let me watch Internet-based content on my big screen. (58" Plasma, 1080p)

Things I'm looking for:
• It supports wired (100Mb or 1Gb) network.
• It outputs true 1080p over HDMI.
• It must support Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube.

It looks like the Roku3 might be it, but doesn't support YouTube.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

I have an original Roku and am about to upgrade it to the version (3). I have been more than pleased with the Roku. There are certain work arounds for UTube viewing. It also gives a vast array of channels better than found elsewhere. I happen to enjoy AcornTV/Acornonline's selection as an example.

Other machines will do UTube and the usual Amazon and Netfix etc. If you have an XBox360 this is also a great streaming device (720P) but needs a Gold sub to work fully. XBox will also work well with various cablecard readers and WMC.

Overall Ilike the Roku and the range of channels it gives. That's why I am upgrading mine.

totamak
And they call me nuts?
join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

totamak to Wily_One

to Wily_One
Have you looked at some of the Blu-Ray players? Pretty much the whole lot will play all sorts of Internet streaming content. In our place we have been using a Sony BDP-S390 BD player with Netflix. It supports just about every site out there including Hulu+, Vudu, Youtube, Crackle and so on. Our model I think is limited to Fast Ethernet for wired (100 Mbps), but it is also 802.11n 2.4 GHz wireless. The unit we got was about $129 or so in a local place.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Not a fan of Sony products of late, but I haven't ruled anything out. I just want one device that's simple to use and does what I want.

Any other suggestions?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 edit

Stacy to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

I've been using a Roku XD/S, with HDMI, for several years and it does support YouTube. All you have to do is add the YouTube channel and authorize your device.

EDIT: after searching the net I see there's some talk about YouTube being removed from Roku Channels. That's really odd because I'm still able to watch YouTube on my Roku. Maybe it only applies to new devices?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Stacy:

said by Wily_One:

EDIT: after searching the net I see there's some talk about YouTube being removed from Roku Channels.

It was available once, now it isn't any longer. If you didn't add it to your account (not the device but your Roku account) when it was available, then you're out of luck now.

EDIT: Here are some clunky work-arounds: »streamfree.tv/roku/youtube/
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to Wily_One

to Wily_One
I think Google fears Roku!!!! Because their own streaming device is beaten up nicely by the Roku.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

1 recommendation

ke4pym to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
I just picked up a pair of Roku(en?) 3's as streamers for my Plex environment.

I'm ready to go pick up 2 more. Fantastic little devices!

I do hate that I had to chat with someone on the web site to get them registered w/o a credit card. I have *Z E R O* interest in paying for content on these devices (so much so, the only thing installed is the Plex client). But the site won't let you register the first one without a CC unless you chat with customer support.

Otherwise, very good experience with them.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Don't forget that you can control each and every Roku via an app so if you want to listen to Audio only the TV does not have to be on.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by IanR:

if you want to listen to Audio only the TV does not have to be on.

Isn't that assuming that the Roku is connected to an AV/R or soundbar? It's an HDMI-out only device so you can't even connect external speakers to it... (unless there are HDMI speakers?)
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

said by IanR:

if you want to listen to Audio only the TV does not have to be on.

Isn't that assuming that the Roku is connected to an AV/R or soundbar? It's an HDMI-out only device so you can't even connect external speakers to it... (unless there are HDMI speakers?)

That would be correct.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to darcilicious

to darcilicious
Yup I guess I presume that some who spent the money for a nice 1080P 58" Plasma would have spent at least a few hundred more on either a soundbar or an AV/R. If they haven't they should as it's a fantastic return for the few hundreds.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by IanR:

Yup I guess I presume that some who spent the money for a nice 1080P 58" Plasma [...]

I read your previous reply as being in response to ke4pym See Profile, not the OP...
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit

1 recommendation

IanR

Ahh I understand the confusion... My comment was a general one for the thread as a whole and yes ke4pym would need to have such equipment because the R 3 "only" has an HDMI out. As an aside Roku have greatly improved the choices of streaming radio and will likely continue to do so.

Having just got a new Roku 3 I am wondering the best way to use my early model Roku which has an optical out and it may become more of a audio machine for me.

These constantly changing connections cause all sorts of issues. Nothing to do with this thread but....I have just bought a new house which has a fully dedicated home theater room with built in Bose 5.1 system. It works and sounds much better than I expected! But as the system is now 5 years old I contacted Bose to try to upgrade it w/o too much changes. The need is because of new BR Players and Roku etc predominately using HDMI rather than a convoluted mix of hardware and inputs/outputs I am lookng at. (lifestyle 48 console and VS-2 Video enhancer). LOL. Bose prefer to exchange the whole system including speakers (which haven't changed at all) for $2,400.00 For what price I could get a nice AV/R (and speakers )with loads of HDMI inputs and streaming and and and. This would solve my conenctivity issues but would mean completely rewiring the whole room and more. Note all Bose connections are proprietary and the console is outside the room and the subwoofer (in the room) has all the amps etc. ...Sigh....