how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrx7

@bigpond.net.au

[Help Me] using a tl-wa501g to extend the range of my dgl-4300

im trying to use a tl-wa501g to extend the range of my dgl-4300
this is my network setup cable modem connect to dgl4300 wan port 1/2 pc connected to dgl4300 3rd connects to dgs1008d then 6wired devices on dgs1008d. want to connect tp-wa501g here to extend wifi range already got 8dbi antenna on dgl-4300 but not getting a signal where i have my dgs1008d or would a bigger antenna be a better option ( but god ones aint cheap) and trying to do this with no more cash outlay help pls

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

Re: [Help Me] using a tl-wa501g to extend the range of my dgl-43

My guess (you are not really very clear on what you are trying to do, or how you are attempting to do it, so a guess is required) is that you have not configured the tl-wa501g for the proper mode for how you are attempting to use it.

Are you trying to use the tl-wa501g as an access point with its Ethernet interface connected to the dgs1008d? Are you trying to use the tl-wa501g as a stand-alone repeater? Are you trying to use the tl-wa501g as a bridge to a remote Ethernet segment? I am not familiar with the tl-wa501g, but I suspect that it will need you to tell it exactly how you want to use it, and certainly nobody reading this thread will be able to offer any advice until they know how you currently have that box configured (and connected), and how you really want it to be used.

One suggestion that I will make even before knowing any details of what you are trying to do is that you request a moderator to move your thread to the »Wireless Networking forum since your question is not about D-Link equipment, and you will probably have a better chance of getting help if you broaden the base of potential helpers.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

mrx7

@bigpond.net.au
reply to mrx7

sorry I'll be clearer cable modem and dgl4300 in separate buildings dgl4300 joins dgs1008 via underground cat6cable, wanting to use to-wa501g to give Me WiFi signal where now I Get little or no signal. does this clarify things 4u

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by mrx7 :

sorry I'll be clearer cable modem and dgl4300 in separate buildings dgl4300 joins dgs1008 via underground cat6cable, wanting to use to-wa501g to give Me WiFi signal where now I Get little or no signal. does this clarify things 4u

No, it does not help. I (or anyone else offering advice) will need to know exactly how you have connected the TP-Link box, and how you have it configured. I still have no idea if you want to use the TP-Link box as an access point connected via an Ethernet cable to a switch, or if you are trying to use it as a stand-alone WiFi repeater, or as a bridge to an Ethernet segment in the second building.

My suggestion (if the equipment is physically able to be connected in this manner) would be to configure the TP-Link box as an access point, and connect it via Ethernet to the switch (which I am assuming is in the same building as the TP-Link box). If you do it that way, the TP-Link box won't need to have WiFi connectivity to your D-Link WiFi router because it would be connected via Ethernet (so the lack of WiFi visibility to the D-Link WiFi router would be moot). WiFi clients in the second building would connect to the TP-Link access point, and would also not need direct WiFi connectivity to the D-Link WiFi router.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

mrx7

@bigpond.net.au
reply to mrx7

yes I wanting to connect the tp to the dgs via Ethernet but trying to make both have same ssid or will I have to make it 2separate WiFi ssid's. is what I'm trying to-do called repeater mode

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

said by mrx7 :

yes I wanting to connect the tp to the dgs via Ethernet but trying to make both have same ssid or will I have to make it 2separate WiFi ssid's. is what I'm trying to-do called repeater mode

Technically you should be able to use the same SSID for each device, but my experiences with residential/soho grade routers and access points is that using a different SSID sometimes works better. Using a common SSID is certainly more convenient, so try it with the same SSID first. If you have problems with devices that are in a twilight zone and can see both radios, then you can change it on one of the APs (using different SSIDs will make things more difficult for a mobile device moving between your two buildings). A related WiFi radio setting is to either use a different RF channel for your router and your access point, or use automatic channel selection on both devices. If they are using the same SSID and the same RF channel, that can definitely make life difficult for a mobile WiFi client who can see both radios.

What you want to do will require that your TP-Link access point be configured as an access point, not as a repeater. Using it as a repeater implies that there is no Ethernet connection to the primary WiFi router, and all traffic is wireless.

A possible gotcha would be if both your D-Link router and your TP-Link access point are using the same LAN IP address by default (for example: both of them using 192.168.1.1). They will need to be on the same IP subnet, but each should use a different IP address (for example: 192.168.1.1 for the D-Link router, and 192.168.1.2 for the TP-Link access point).
--

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless
reply to mrx7

said by mrx7 :

I suspect NetFixer nailed your problem on the head. If both the DGL and TP devices on the same subnet have the same IP address your in deep trouble. It sounds like your wanting the TP device to be an Bridge/AP. If this is true making sure it has a different IP address and in AP mode (the WAN port will not be used). The other thing you need to check is that only one DHCP server is active on the same subnet (DHCP of the TP device turned off). The TP device should be configured that the gateway address is the DGL device just to be certain nothing gets a bad address.
--
---- Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
---- Albert Einstein

-- DLink DIR-825 (B1) fw2.09NA / DAP-1522 (a1) fw 1.40 {2@5ghz bridge mode} / Motorola SB6141

mrx7emb

join:2013-05-09

sorry for late reply been crook as.
now for a spanner in the works possibly:
been given a netcomm nb6plus4w adsl router.
could this be better to use than the tp
i got no more spare sockets left on my dgs1008.
so if i plug in everything that runs at 100m not 1g plugged in to the nb give me 2spare 1g ports if i do this.
sorry forgot to answer Ur multiple questions yes all devices have different ip add by default except tp and nb but i'm not planning on using both of them at once