spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MMG3
join:2013-05-04
Huntsville, AL

MMG3

Millenicom service is slow

I've had Millenicom service for 1.5 years, and it has been slow the entire time. We have the Advanced Plan, and use a Novatel USB modem with a MBR95 router. We use a SignalBoost DT signal booster. We live in a remote area, and our Verizon cell phones experience spotty service as well.

Typical speedtest.net shows:
ping 211 ms
Upload .22 Mbps
Download .5 Mbps

Any suggestions to improve our speed?

Thanks!
student5
join:2012-12-24
Los Angeles, CA

student5

500K for a 3G connection is pretty normal, especially for rural areas.

Submit your address into the following form after toggling "4G LTE Data Coverage" and see if they've made modifications to your area yet:

www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

If they haven't upgraded your tower yet, they will before the end of the year. Hang in there!
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to MMG3

to MMG3
ditch the SignalBoost, locate the tower, and use a directional antenna
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to MMG3

to MMG3
My area was soo called upgraded to lte, and after that the 3g slowed down to a crawl..... I think verizon does it on purpose /shrug, could be paranoid though
MMG3
Huntsville, AL

MMG3 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Do you mean an antenna that plugs into the usb modem?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yes - a direct connect antenna to the modem
MMG3
Huntsville, AL

MMG3

Which antenna do you use?
bmf0354
join:2013-05-07
Brazil, IN

bmf0354 to MMG3

to MMG3
MMG - I've been a Millenicom customer for over 2 years with really good speeds over 3G. It's really difficult to say what (if anything) can be done at your particular location without doing a site survey. EVDOInfo provides some good advice on doing a site survey - check out this link: »www.evdoinfo.com/content ··· /4348/64

For me, my signal was weak (-100 dB) and my signal quality was bad too. Doing a site survey helped me decide to install an external directional antenna (specifically this one: »www.l-com.com/wireless-a ··· -antenna). Using this with some low-loss LMR-400 cable (and no amplifier) improved the signal to a steady -70 dB with download speeds typically between 1.7 and 2.2 mb/s.

aliann66
Premium Member
join:2012-08-04
Latrobe, PA

aliann66 to MMG3

Premium Member

to MMG3
My Experience with Verizon/Millenicom

Sorry in advance for the long-winded reply

Rural SW PA here. NO DSL, FIOS or Cable available. In 2009 signed up direct with Verizon (Novatel USB760). Service was great at first, but around the time they were adding 4G, noticed frequent slowdowns to dial up speeds and disconnects. Was using an antenna to improve signal. Closest towers about 2-3 miles away.

In May 2011, saw on Verizon's site that my address could get 4G. Ordered the Pantech UML290 - and had nothing but problems. Turns out I was in "4G Extended" - which in my experience was not 4G at all. Returned the device and reinstated 3G service. Slow speeds and disconnects continued. In November 2011, after a weekend with no service, the tech called back to say my device was dead and that I'd have to buy a 4G device since they didn't sell the 3G devices anymore! I promptly cancelled service with Verizon and purchased the same device through Millenicom. Speeds were still frequently slow and experienced another day without service in December 2011.

In June 2012, checked Millenicom's coverage map and found I was eligible for the 4G Hotspot Plan. Ordered the Mifi 4510 and it's been great, speeds average 5 Mb/s, sometimes as high as 10-12 Mb/s.. It's connected to a Wilson Panel Antenna facing out a window. Haven't had time to get it mounted to the roof, I'm sure it would further improve the signal.

If you are in a solid 4G area (NOT "4G Extended"), I'd recommend the Hotspot Plan.
MMG3
Huntsville, AL

MMG3

THANK YOU for the long winded reply!

I am in 4G extended. I thought about trying 4G with an antenna and amplifier, but then read posts from people who had 4G with Millenicom on the Verizon network and had trouble using their 20G quota in a couple days. I figured that would be my luck! If I could get it working, my nieces would come to visit and use it all up.

I've been playing with my Wilson SignalBoost and MBR95 router. I found a bunch of posts on Jim in VA's blog that helped me understand some things to try. I'm doing a little better the last few days, and may try an antenna attached to the USB modem to see if I can do even better.

Wish I was in Sprint 4G territory, so I could get Unlimited, but it looks like that's 40 miles away.

Thanks again!

aliann66
Premium Member
join:2012-08-04
Latrobe, PA

aliann66

Premium Member

I've found that an antenna does help improve the speed, with 3G and 4G. If you can wait a bit longer for full 4G to come to your area, it would definitely be faster. You can still use the MBR95 router (I have this also). It has Wifi as WAN capability, which you need with the Mifi since it cannot physically plug it into the router.

Another thing to keep in mind is an antenna for 3G may not work for 4G - the frequencies are different and not all antennas cover both frequency ranges.

It's great having a 20gig cap instead of the 5gig Verizon cap, for about the same cost. Realistically though, it's not enough to watch movies online. Would be nice to have the unlimited plan, but Sprint's 4G is nowhere near me right now.
MMG3
Huntsville, AL

MMG3

Thanks to Jim in VA, I learned how to check the RSSI in the MBR95. After playing with my setup, I was able to lower it from a widely varying -85 - -92 down to -72 - -75. Based on having RSSI in the low 70s, I'm not sure how much an antenna will help, but I probably will try one.

Thanks again to Jim in VA, I now have a better idea of the types of antennas to consider, their frequency ranges, the frequency I'm using now, and the frequencies I may be using in the next couple years.

It is absolutely great to have a 20g cap instead of the 5g Verizon cap. I wouldn't bother with the Verizon connection, if that was all that was available. We formerly had DSL here, but the phone lines are old, unreliable, noisy, and since we're at the end of a dead end road with inadequate repeaters, low signal level. Our DSL service was a little better speed than dialup, but less reliable than most people's dialup service.

I appreciate the dslreports forum, Jim in VA, and Millenicom. Great resources, all.