uniqs
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to scott_urman

to scott_urman

Re: [general] Why don't houses in the south have basements

said by scott_urman:

Nobody seems to have mentioned California yet, here in the Bay Area nobody has basements either (unless the house is built into the hill, then the bottom level is kind of a basement). We keep our washers and dryers inside but the electrical panel is outside.

So with how popular outdoor panels are in some parts of the USA, so do breakers prematurely trip when they have a southern exposure and turn into an oven in the southern sun?

I know same argument can be made about indoor panels with an AC register blowing at them, or in a cold basement.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by patcat88:

I know same argument can be made about indoor panels with an AC register blowing at them, or in a cold basement.

Not really, indoor temperatures never get cold enough for them for it to be a problem, unless your in Alaska. Your pipes would be well past frozen at the temperature required for breakers to malfunction.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to patcat88

MVM

to patcat88
Yes they do. I have a national client with outdoor climate controlled "kiosks". They always have a breaker panel next to them with 20A GFCI breakers. When it gets into the 100's, the units on Southern exposed walls trip regularly. These units are typically pulling down 14-16A maximum when the A/C is running.

I think it's a combination of the high ambient temperature, and the continuous draw.