spc
uniqs

mrx7
@bigpond.net.au

mrx7 to mrx7

Anon

to mrx7

Re: [Help Me] using a tl-wa501g to extend the range of my dgl-43

sorry I'll be clearer cable modem and dgl4300 in separate buildings dgl4300 joins dgs1008 via underground cat6cable, wanting to use to-wa501g to give Me WiFi signal where now I Get little or no signal. does this clarify things 4u

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mrx7 :

sorry I'll be clearer cable modem and dgl4300 in separate buildings dgl4300 joins dgs1008 via underground cat6cable, wanting to use to-wa501g to give Me WiFi signal where now I Get little or no signal. does this clarify things 4u

No, it does not help. I (or anyone else offering advice) will need to know exactly how you have connected the TP-Link box, and how you have it configured. I still have no idea if you want to use the TP-Link box as an access point connected via an Ethernet cable to a switch, or if you are trying to use it as a stand-alone WiFi repeater, or as a bridge to an Ethernet segment in the second building.

My suggestion (if the equipment is physically able to be connected in this manner) would be to configure the TP-Link box as an access point, and connect it via Ethernet to the switch (which I am assuming is in the same building as the TP-Link box). If you do it that way, the TP-Link box won't need to have WiFi connectivity to your D-Link WiFi router because it would be connected via Ethernet (so the lack of WiFi visibility to the D-Link WiFi router would be moot). WiFi clients in the second building would connect to the TP-Link access point, and would also not need direct WiFi connectivity to the D-Link WiFi router.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to mrx7

to mrx7
said by mrx7 :

I suspect NetFixer nailed your problem on the head. If both the DGL and TP devices on the same subnet have the same IP address your in deep trouble. It sounds like your wanting the TP device to be an Bridge/AP. If this is true making sure it has a different IP address and in AP mode (the WAN port will not be used). The other thing you need to check is that only one DHCP server is active on the same subnet (DHCP of the TP device turned off). The TP device should be configured that the gateway address is the DGL device just to be certain nothing gets a bad address.
mrx7emb
join:2013-05-09

mrx7emb

sorry for late reply been crook as.
now for a spanner in the works possibly:
been given a netcomm nb6plus4w adsl router.
could this be better to use than the tp
i got no more spare sockets left on my dgs1008.
so if i plug in everything that runs at 100m not 1g plugged in to the nb give me 2spare 1g ports if i do this.
sorry forgot to answer Ur multiple questions yes all devices have different ip add by default except tp and nb but i'm not planning on using both of them at once