how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amlc

@koba.pl

How can I improve my security?

Hi,

I wonder how to improve their safety on the Internet.
I used blackVPN. Encrypt disk using TrueCrypt with AES.
I use XMPP chat encryption.
I use Windows Server 2012 as a workstation.
I use GMail. Maybe should I change?

I have a Nokia Asha 200 at T-Mobile. Can I encrypt calls and SMS?

How can I improve my security?

Any suggestions?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 recommendation

Step 1: don't post anon on a message board

You most likely have all the spooks trying to find you now...

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

reply to amlc

said by amlc :

Hi,

I wonder how to improve their safety on the Internet.
I use GMail. Maybe should I change?

About this specific point, Gmail is a free web service unless you are paying for it.

I would prefer to use the email provided by the ISP I have.
If I get tin foil, none are trusted, but really to use a service as such as a free web email service seems backwards compared to all your other points.

A paid service hopefully will not give out as much data on you as a free service would; who needs to be funded somehow to provide that free service.

Just a thought.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to amlc

Step 1 - be clear about what you mean by 'security' and what threats you are concerned about.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Using any service in the US means that information can be provided to the authorities. So if your hiding something they are interested in its only a matter of time. If your doing something illegal and it has any sense of evil in it, I hope they catch you sooner rather than later. I would not be surprized if all these so called US based VPN services were fronts for the FBI, or if all their data went through FBI servers.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to amlc

Is this a request for better security practices or how to hide something? If you are looking to improve your security, you have to be more specific about what you are currently doing now (are you running any AV, AM programs, for example). Encrypt calls? Really?

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

Encrypt calls and SMS???
Yes, unless your using the Sectera Edge Blackberry
Maybe u can ask Obama for one
Or purchase one from General Dynamics.

U mention ur using a Windows Server workstation???? Well, hopefully not for daily internet usages. Thats a bad bad security practice. NEVER EVER browse the net on a Server OS...

amlc

@koba.pl
reply to amlc

I'm really paranoid and serious about security. I'm neurotic.
I'm not doing anything wrong.
So should I start with GMail change to another service? What is it?

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by amlc :

I'm really paranoid and serious about security. I'm neurotic.
I'm not doing anything wrong.
So should I start with GMail change to another service? What is it?

Every email service that follows the law will give you up.

At least google tries to force them to follow the law, can't say the same for most providers.

Have you looked into Silent Circle?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

reply to amlc

First, answer the question of what threats you are concerned about.

"I am worried about someone hacking into my PC" is quite different from "I am worried that the authorities can read my email" is quite different from "I am worried that a free web email service will be a ripe target for attack".

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to slajoh01

said by slajoh01:

U mention ur using a Windows Server workstation???? Well, hopefully not for daily internet usages. Thats a bad bad security practice. NEVER EVER browse the net on a Server OS...

A "server" OS is just another OS. Nothing special about it that would make using it as a daily workstation any less secure. The same general principle of not exposing services to the internet needlessly still applies.

I think you're confusing "computer running a server OS" with "computer running a server."
--
Think Outside the Fox.

amlc

@koba.pl

I do not want someone look at the history of pages you browsed.
I do not want anyone to read my emails in GMAIL.
I do not want anyone to gain access to my bank account.
I do not want anyone to be able to share my emails to the authorities, a list of downloaded files, visited pages, chat by instant messaging.
I want the anonymity of the internet (and not only Internet) as much as possible.
I've used Linux Mint. Now I use Windows Server 2012 as a workstation because it is a trial period 180 days.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by amlc :

I do not want someone look at the history of pages you browsed.

Mostly you're fucked, then, because your HTTP requests flow through your ISP, who can keep all the logs they care to. You can use an anonymizing proxy, but then you have to trust the proxy, and besides there will be logs of you connecting to the proxy.

I do not want anyone to read my emails in GMAIL.

Use crypto or don't use gmail. The people who run gmail handle gmail security, not you.

I do not want anyone to gain access to my bank account.

For your level of paranoia, I'd suggest not doing online banking

I do not want anyone to be able to share my emails to the authorities, a list of downloaded files, visited pages, chat by instant messaging.

All covered above.

amlc

@koba.pl

Regarding e-mail, none of my friends do not use PGP. These are not power users.

In summary:
1 Can I use blackVPN.
2 Quebes I install the OS on my laptop
3 Can I use PGP and convince my friends to use PGP to communicate with me
4 Can I delete my account on Facebook
5 I can encrypt the drive using TrueCrypt
6 I can create a container for files and store it in the memory card, which serves me as a backup
7 In Gmail set up to redirect to my new email address?
8 My new e-mail address should be on a new, private or publicly accessible server, for example, yahoo, opera mail?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

If you want no one to read your email, it is easier to not use email than to get everyone you communicate with to use encryption.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23

Its simple guys. If you do not want your presense to be on the internet than do not use the internet nor email nor SMS, yada, yada, yada....

Now, if u want to keep important files on the system, then keep it in a locked room with an alarm, have cameras setup, encrypt the drive and dont put the system to the outside network. That is if your REALLY REALLY paranoid!!!!

And if u want to communicate, write the message you want to send in a TXT file (encrypt the file itself) save it on a USB flash drive then go down to your local net cafe with the USB flash drive and then send your messages that way.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to amlc

said by amlc :

Regarding e-mail, none of my friends do not use PGP. These are not power users.

This means your friends do use it.

None of my friends do not use pgp = My friends use pgp.

4 Can I delete my account on Facebook

You are on facebook? No wonder you are paranoid... your being tracked by name all over the interwebs

8 My new e-mail address should be on a new, private or publicly accessible server, for example, yahoo, opera mail?

Google requires warrants, most providers don't. I am not sure that you will find a better free email than gmail.
»www.eff.org/who-has-your-back-2013

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

2 recommendations

reply to amlc

C'mon. You really aren't looking for security. You are looking for a tinfoil tent. The only way to have all of what you want is to not use the Internet, IMHO. And you still haven't replied to La Luna as to what you're presently doing for your security programs. Are you using anything? And if not, why? Being paranoid is a little beyond real life if you're raising this question now and haven't figured out that there is really no total anonymity any more, and privacy has gone down the drain. I am still trying to figure out what it is you're looking for by changing everything. Actually, I am still trying to figure out what you want...a tinfoil tent carrying case for your tent. A scissors to the wires to your connection should do it all quite well.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to amlc

Keep taking the meds and use the prudent security guidelines that you can find most anywhere and just dont take part in illegal activities and no one will bother you. The authorities are busy catching the bad guys.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 recommendation

reply to amlc

IMO. the best security is this:
1]Unplug computer, pull hard drive and destroy hard drive, then sell PC.
2]Get rid of smart/cell phone, and any tablet device you have.
3]stop using plastic to buy things, use cash instead.
4]If needing to use a PC, goto public library and use theirs.

The following is on the extreme side:
5]Move out of your house, and move in with a friend or family member.
6]Stop working at jobs that require ID and issues a weekly paycheck. You want jobs that pay cash with no or little paper work.
7]You have to give up drivers license and car. As the insurance and license will give info to the government. Instead travel by bicycle, foot, hitch hike or bus.

The goal is to become invisible or a ghost. I know someone who has a very small footprint in society. He is a member of the tin foil hat group and gas a strong distrust in nearly everything.

But it's hard to do in todays society, and people look at you funny if you try to. But then again, I think the Amish have a small footprint as well, as they seem to be doing just fine.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to amlc

The bottom line is that if you are online, someone, somewhere can probably find you and do something, if they were motivated enough.

If the authorities want your email, they can get a warrant, for example (assuming they have a legitimate reason to do so). If the authorities want to see your browsing history, they can get a warrant and get the info from your ISP. Bank websites can be hacked, you have no control over that. All you can do is do the best you can to protect things on your end, without being so paranoid that you are crippling your experience of being on the internet.

There is no such thing as 'anonymity' on the internet.

So. Again. What programs do you run to protect your box? We should start there.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,776 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11