share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

power substation question

I was wondering what this was.. It's hard to describe without a picture but the face of it looks like the underside of a spinning top, I thought maybe a antenna but it's not high enough to be facing another one plus the area is very wooded and faces houses.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

said by Subaru:

... looks like the underside of a spinning top ...

Was it just a pointy radome like this?

P.S. Your thread title may scare away some people.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by lutful:

said by Subaru:

... looks like the underside of a spinning top ...

Was it just a pointy radome like this?

P.S. Your thread title may scare away some people.

lol yeah it looks just like that ha

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON
5.8Ghz line of sight (LOS) radio ... probably they are shooting through a gap between the trees.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

3 edits
Hmm I just forgot let me see if it's on google street view.

»goo.gl/maps/9gG16

It should show.. for some reason it's out of view when you move forward.

Here is a overhead view.. not sure how far the receiving area is but I think I might have an idea..

*edit nope too off center.

»goo.gl/maps/FBdXy

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

I thought maybe a antenna but it's not high enough to be facing another one plus the area is very wooded and faces houses.

See correction below.

BTW a little power trivia, that’s not a substation it is a entry point where overhead transmission transcends to buried transmission, in the Google Maps image you can see there are three circuits within, one on the left protected by HV MOV’s with the center and left circuit protected by inductors, below which you can see the underground feeds.

There is what appears to be pumping station and plumbing which leads me to believe they are probably oil insulated and cooled underground conductors.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
In other words, it is a safety device?
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit
said by Cho Baka:

Yea, intrusion detection. But having found another photograph I can assure it is not.

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Having found a much beter shot of the structure I can say for sure it is not an IDS, the dish is about 36" across, which is too large for an IDS system and pointing almost due west, as such that is IMO a point to point microwave dish with an elevation of about 20 feet.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
Yeah I've looked on the other far end and I can't figure out what it's aiming for since you have a lot of stuff in between with that elevation.

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

Yeah I've looked on the other far end and I can't figure out what it's aiming for since you have a lot of stuff in between with that elevation.

Is that site on a hill?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
nope not at all.. I take the road old trolly Ln to Witch Ln and the elevation starts to climb, and by that time it's already very wooded.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON
reply to 54067323
Click for full size
said by 54067323:

Judging by its height and the way it is tilted downward my guess is it's an older X band 10.525 GHz microwave motion detector

Please take a look at (Southwest) Microwave sensors and see which way those plastic radomes are facing. FYI the back is metal, has mounting brackets, and obviously blocks the microwave. The beam comes out through the radome.

Now look at the photo posted by Subaru See Profile very carefully. The radome is actually tilted slightly upward in the same direction as the microwave beam.

I suppose someone could argue that the pointy plastic radome is actually a metallic reflector while the back and mounting brackets are all made of plastic, so the microwave beam is actually pointing into the fenced area.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
»goo.gl/maps/eTYdQ

I must of missed that last night it's hard to see with that over grown stuff but as you can see here and then the other side of the road it can't be point to point at least not like that?

Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

nope not at all.. I take the road old trolly Ln to Witch Ln and the elevation starts to climb, and by that time it's already very wooded.

Then one would think the other end is not too far off, but keep in mind for an application like that (pump status on/off/hand and oil temp 4-20 ma) all they need is a 9.6k loop so they can get away with a bit more.

Years back I worked on a C band point to point link that shot right through a forest, which one by looking at it would think no flipping way, but it worked and got the RADAR site on line pending a two year wait for permits allowing the local telco to bring a cable to the site.

But again, we where only running two 9.6k links through it.

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit
reply to lutful
said by lutful:

[I suppose someone could argue that the pointy plastic radome is actually a metallic reflector while the back and mounting brackets are all made of plastic, so the microwave beam is actually pointing into the fenced area.

Don't be silly that is not how those types of dishes work, and in the future note I corrected my post once I found a better photograph, a correction which proceeded your unnecessary and troll like chastising.

said by 54067323:

Having found a much beter shot of the structure I can say for sure it is not an IDS, the dish is about 36" across, which is too large for an IDS system and pointing almost due west, as such that is IMO a point to point microwave dish with an elevation of about 20 feet. 2013-05-05 08:21:34

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to 54067323
I would assume the receiving end would be about the same or have the same setup? My way to the highway almost follows the LOS but I've never seen this setup anyplace else, matter of fact I don't recall another area like this.. I thought I had an idea at first but it's a little further south.

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

I would assume the receiving end would be about the same or have the same setup?

There may not be another end, the utility may have turned the system down years ago and the dish in the photograph was abandoned in place while the other end had to be removed due to a lease agreement. Utilities have a tendency to install more and more crap and unless the old equipment is in the way it is no ones job to remove it.

Trust me, if I could legally harvest some of the equipment I have seen abandoned in place, I would have a whole lot more cash in my pocket.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

said by lutful:

I suppose someone could argue that the pointy plastic radome is actually a metallic reflector while the back and mounting brackets are all made of plastic, so the microwave beam is actually pointing into the fenced area.

Don't be silly that is not how those types of dishes work

That was exactly my point ... made using the logical method called »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_absurdum

I had posted a very clear photo a pointy radome which was confirmed immediately by Subaru See Profile and he then posted a reasonably clear photo. I really did not understand how someone could imagine that could be a microwave sensor pointed inside the fenced area.

Anyway, I was browsing SouthWest Microwave site after starting to compose the response ... while you were composing the correction.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to 54067323
said by 54067323:

said by Subaru:

I would assume the receiving end would be about the same or have the same setup?

There may not be another end, the utility may have turned the system down years ago and the dish in the photograph was abandoned in place while the other end had to be removed due to a lease agreement. Utilities have a tendency to install more and more crap and unless the old equipment is in the way it is no ones job to remove it.

Trust me, if I could legally harvest some of the equipment I have seen abandoned in place, I would have a whole lot more cash in my pocket.

I like how they keep it so the over-growth does not cover the dish. It maybe very well shut down.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

said by Subaru:

I like how they keep it so the over-growth does not cover the dish. It maybe very well shut down.

If it is still working, this may be the other end of it.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=Dr+Martin···cut&z=15

FWIW Northeast Utilities has numerous point to point 6.7 / 6.8 GHz microwave systems operating out of Woodward Avenue Norwalk Harbor generating station with an antenna height of 106.7 meters.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
My eyes must be bad where on the map?

Tuscaloosa, AL

3 edits

1 recommendation

said by Subaru:

Your eyes are fine, I just forgot to place the other marker on the map, anyhow go SE about 8Kf from the “A” marker and you will see on a peninsula just south of Longshore Ave with three white tanks on it, that’s the generating station, my guess is the antennas are up on the stack.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by 54067323:

said by Subaru:

Your eyes are fine, I just forgot to place the other marker on the map, anyhow go SE about 8Kf from the “A” marker and you will see on a peninsula just south of Longshore Ave with three white tanks on it, that’s the generating station, my guess is the antennas are up on the stack.

hmm wow I think you might be right.. look up on the smoke stack and you will see the antenna pointing towards that area.. that has me wondering maybe the receiving end is using the area across the street for a reflection? i'm not too sure why it's not faced the other way.

»goo.gl/maps/BQQju
--

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

hmm wow I think you might be right.. look up on the smoke stack and you will see the antenna pointing towards that area.. that has me wondering maybe the receiving end is using the area across the street for a reflection? i'm not too sure why it's not faced the other way.

Interesting, there is a passive repeater at 41-04-51.3 N, 073-25-52.4 W with a height of 20.1 meters.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
lost me on that one

Are you talking about the large tower?

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

lost me on that one

Not sure where it can be found on GM, I was just going by the coordinates in the FCC database.

41-04-51.3 N, 073-25-52.4 W with a height of 20.1 meters.

It is listed as a reflector 1.8 m high and 2.4 m wide located at the above latitude and longitude.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by 54067323:

said by Subaru:

lost me on that one

Not sure where it can be found on GM, I was just going by the coordinates in the FCC database.

41-04-51.3 N, 073-25-52.4 W with a height of 20.1 meters.

It is listed as a reflector 1.8 m high and 2.4 m wide located at the above latitude and longitude.

In google earth it shows that coordinates as being here

»goo.gl/maps/mzq0X
--

Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Subaru:

In google earth it shows that coordinates as being here

»goo.gl/maps/mzq0X

And there it is, another dish on the transmission tower pointing back at the one in question, from there they probably have it shot down their ROW back to the generating station.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
I was expecting it to look like the other, looks like the flat drum type