All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
firemandan9
join:2013-05-04

firemandan9

CAT5/6 Installation Cost

The ONT and most of the coax wiring in the home appear all good to go for tomorrows "new" install. Would an installer be willing to run CAT5e or better to an upstairs bedroom (I ultimately want the router by the ONT and just a LAN jack in the bedroom).

If I need to pay extra for this service what should I expect it to cost or is this not something they will do. I'll be running an HD homerun prime among other things so I could really use the wired bandwidth/latency/reliability. ~$50 would make not having to buy the cable or try and staple the cable down myself well worth it.
VZFiOSYo
join:2007-02-24
Lakewood, CA

VZFiOSYo

The first run to wherever you want your internet connection is free whether it's Cat5e or coax. All techs only carry Cat5e on their van. If you want Cat6, you must provide it. Any additional runs of Cat5e/6 I believe are $75 each.
firemandan9
join:2013-05-04

firemandan9

So explicitly request the router be installed via ethernet in the upstairs bedroom and he will do so even when coax infrastructure exists? I could then unplug the bedroom run cable from the ONT, and fish it and a cable I provide through the wall into the den on the opposite side of the wall from the ONT?

I'll be straight up with the guy and see what he says considering the overall simplicity of the job (minus the bedroom bit). $75 for an ethernet drop of this difficulty sounds worth while if nothing else.
nyrrule27
join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ

nyrrule27

They won't fish the wire through the walls. They will prob dril a hole outside and run it up the side of the house and then back in.