old_tech
Premium Member
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Marinate bone-in-pork?

If you have ground red pepper, black pepper, salt, brown sugar, ground mustard seed, cumin, just make a dry rub. Really depends on what you mean by a bit of spices.

List what you have in your cabinet, and we can go from there. Even if all you have is Salt, Pepper, bottle of Mustard in the fridge, and some OJ, you could go that route, and still get a decent flavor, when cooked low on 275 for say 4 hours.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

This is what I have..

Ground Garlic
ground black pepper
onion powder
lawry's seasoned salt
adobo
crushed red pepper
cayenne pepper
chopped onion
garlic powder
garlic salt
curry powder
paprika
all spice
sea salt
mrs. dash - original blend
pork seasoning
thyme leaves
ground cloves
celery salt
old bay seasoning
whole oregano
mustard
Lawry's signature steakhouse

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Then you have enough to do a dry rub, or coat. First Salt & Pepper the meat, then you can rub on the Mustard and leave it at that.

It is when you go overboard in seasoning, then it becomes either bland, or noticeable to the taste buds, that it was over seasoned.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

how long should I let it sit for?

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

If you plan to leave it sitting for a while with a dry rub use little or no salt. Salt will draw out the moisture from the meat (so add the salt before cooking). Otherwise just however long you want really. Just make extra rub and put it aside to apply again right before you cook.

Note that the Lawry's and Mrs. dash likely have salt as the main ingredient if you decide to use those.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Just put on it, when the oven has pre-heated, place it in the oven and let it roast. Great thing about using what I posted, is that you should not let it set overnight in the fridge, but will cook into the meat, if you do a low heat (275) slow roast.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Xioden

MVM

to Xioden
Actually- a simple and easy 'brine' for meats (from prime rib to chicken. turkey, and pork) is to salt with kosher salt and let it sit for a day - or even only a few hours. Water initially comes out - mixed with the sodium then gets taken back in - just like in a regular brine.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to old_tech

Premium Member

to old_tech
said by old_tech:

Just put on it, when the oven has pre-heated, place it in the oven and let it roast. Great thing about using what I posted, is that you should not let it set overnight in the fridge, but will cook into the meat, if you do a low heat (275) slow roast.

Wow good thing I keep a thermometer in the oven 275 setting just hardly gets up past 240.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech

Premium Member

Some non electronic ovens have an adjustment inside the shaft for the oven, that allows you to adjust the temp. Also a countertop steam cooker works well, and the meat is a lot more moist.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

said by old_tech:

Some non electronic ovens have an adjustment inside the shaft for the oven, that allows you to adjust the temp. Also a countertop steam cooker works well, and the meat is a lot more moist.

Well not long to go but normal to have a bunch of water in the roasting pan now? They do look very tender now.

jadinolf
I love you Fred
Premium Member
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA

jadinolf

Premium Member

said by Subaru:

said by old_tech:

Well not long to go but normal to have a bunch of water in the roasting pan now? They do look very tender now.

When do you want us over?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

it's smelling good now another 50 min left.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
Yes, you end up with some, but not that much liquid. Must have had a lot of fat on it. You did not add any water or broth to it, before cooking, did you?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

nope no water or anything, a few pieces did have a fair amount of fat on it.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to old_tech

to old_tech
+++++++++1 on the mustard.

Xioden
Premium Member
Monticello, NY

Xioden to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Which is not what you want when you are doing a dry rub. With a brine you want it fully submerged and covered with the brine. A dry rub the moisture that is pulled out by the salt will just drip to the bottom of whatever it is in leaving it dry.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by Xioden:

Which is not what you want when you are doing a dry rub. With a brine you want it fully submerged and covered with the brine. A dry rub the moisture that is pulled out by the salt will just drip to the bottom of whatever it is in leaving it dry.

I have yet to see a dry rub without salt... Anyway - just mentioning that a quick 'brine' is done with salt rubbed on meat. It works as I noted and can be used in place of a wet brine. Not as good as a wet brine but for folks without a large container or the time...

Xioden
Premium Member
Monticello, NY

Xioden

Premium Member

Not without salt, just not a lot of salt. You generally would then add more prior to cooking with the additional rub.

old_tech
Premium Member
Springfield, IL

old_tech to Xioden

Premium Member

to Xioden
said by Xioden:

That is actually false information about salt pulling the moisture out while cooking. It really depends on how much salt you use when cooking, will depend on what it does to the meat.

If you are curing, or doing a Salt crust method, it is fine to use salt for the cooking process of meat. It is a spice, that like any, has to be used the right way.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Xioden

MVM

to Xioden
said by Xioden:

Not without salt, just not a lot of salt. You generally would then add more prior to cooking with the additional rub.

You - for some reason - think I am taking about a lot of salt???? I'm not talking about a lot of salt - just when it goes on and the fact it can be done and not dry out meat.