Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

Just when you thought you saw everything...

Helped a neighbor do his brakes.

He needed my impact wrench and torch to get the caliper bracket bolts off (Chevy has been using threadlock that is near diabolical.)

Get the caliper off only to find the inner brake pad is missing. The pistons were worn down at least 1/4 inch and all but seized.

I bet the idiot at "we do only brakes" put the pads in and before he put the caliper back on the inner one fell off. Probably in too much of a hurry to notice.

So, new pads, rotors and caliper.

A few weeks before had a caddy SUV that threw all kinds of sparks when put in gear. I asked "who messed with it". He had some guy he met change the starter. That requires removing the engine mount.

Probably overtightened one bolt on the mount and it broke. I was able to screw the old bolt out by hand. Just under starter so when put in gear, the starter terminal hit the mount.

So, fridge has a good supply of beer due to work by idiots

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

A missing brake pad isn't necessarily due to mis-assembly.

Vehicles can spit a brake pad if wear progresses (well) beyond normal limits.

A seized or stuck caliper can definitely contribute to this happening.

In this case the pad will come out between the torque plate (that normally holds the pads) and brake disc.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
Yea. they can come out of there, Sure does get noisy tho.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns

Premium Member

The rest of the pads were not very worn. Only a year old.

His brother has been saying there is something wrong since the first time hew saw him after the brakes were done. The right front was making scraping noises.

The guy just ignored it. The brakes worked, so every thing must have been fine

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

Beezel

Had a girl come into a garage I used to work at. She wanted to know why she has been hearing a screeching sound when driving. I asked how long has she noticed this? She replied recently, her radio broke so she didn't have any music to listen to. That's when she noticed the noise. I put it on the lift and removed the right front wheel. The outer pad backing plate was paper thin and the rotor had no outer surface. She was into the cooling fins on the rotor. The back pad was 3/4 gone, and the other front ones were around the same. The outer pad separated from the backing plate and ate the rotor up before she noticed. I was thinking how loud did you usually have the radio turned up to not notice it? And she didn't notice the braking affect?

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

TheHarvester to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
Here are a few I got recently.
Bearing was so bad the rotor was rubbing the caliper bracket and the caliper was rubbing on the rim. This one was towed in because they thought it was too unsafe to drive it any farther....WHAT ABOUT THE LAST 50 MILES OR MORE?

Bearing was gone.

The outer pad got spit out and was using the caliper as a brake pad. It was driven to the shop.

Outer pad missing.

A work truck with a hole in the drum and the left front trailing arm was bent enough it was rubbing on the frame....it was driven to the shop.

Yes that is a hole.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by TheHarvester:

Here are a few I got recently.
Bearing was so bad the rotor was rubbing the caliper bracket and the caliper was rubbing on the rim. This one was towed in because they thought it was too unsafe to drive it any farther....WHAT ABOUT THE LAST 50 MILES OR MORE?

Holy crap, that would have been making one HELL of racket and vibrations! How the hell could someone continue to drive the vehicle long enough for it to get that bad?!?!?
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

How the hell could someone continue to drive the vehicle long enough for it to get that bad?!?!?

There is a WHOLE LOT of stupid in the world...

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
You would be surprised what you're sharing the road with.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to Beezel

Premium Member

to Beezel
I know a 30 year old mother who listens to rap and hip hop at 80% or more of the Caravan's stereo system. She cannot possibly hear any vehicle noises that were indicative of a problem.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns
I've been the "friend" mechanic for several people I grew up with for a while now and generally it's just a random tuneup or oil change or brake job. Nothing major, nothing I can't handle (have done much more than that too).

Having left the state for a couple of years, one of my friends that usually came to me for work took her car (a Ford Explorer IIRC, one I had not even seen her drive prior to that) to someone else to get new brakes put on (I think she said it was a relative or friend of one).

Now mind you she was still driving it to and from work and had only told me it needs something done with the brakes but wasn't sure what. I get over to her apartment and get in to turn the vehicle around in the parking lot (back it in instead of pulled in to a retaining wall). Her brake pedal had NO back pressure whatsoever and the ability of this vehicle to stop just from a coast was non-existent.

I should have looked at the brakes before even moving it in the parking lot but as I said it was pulled in front ways to a retaining wall making access to anything in that area nearly impossible. After looking at it, I found the passenger side caliper sitting on the inside of the wheel (it had carved some nice grooves in the wheel too). I attempted to remount it and found one of the iron standoffs to mount the caliper to was sheared off no where to be found (the remaining piece was NOT still attached to the caliper).

She was driving on 285 and 85 in the spaghetti junction area like this for at least 2 days if not longer. She basically had no brakes. Some combination of the piston over-extending or some other damage caused all the fluid to leak out of the system. I don't have any clue how she was able to successfully stop at any point in time given the trouble I had just backing it out of the parking spot and turning it around.
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

2 edits

bgraham2 to shdesigns

to shdesigns
Years ago when I was a kid, a guy down the street bought his first car.

He was told to look at the fluids every couple of week.

He checked the brake fluid and it had to be an inch or so below the cap. He checked that radiator (before overflow tanks) and he had to see coolant just below the cap. The window washer fluid had to be filled to just below the top. He checked the battery and saw acid.

Well, this idiot forgot about the engine oil dip stick and expected to take of the oil cap and see oil. Every time he took of the oil filler cap to check the oil he saw no oil so he added a couple of quarts just in case.

He stopped by my house one day and asked me how come he had put about 5 or 6 quarts of oil in the engine but the oil was still low.

I read years ago that someones navigation system said turn left, and they did and drove right onto train tracks.

»www.universalhub.com/201 ··· eet-trol

If that's not bad enough, read the article:

"a male who was passing by in another vehicle, told her she was fine and to continue down the tracks and get off them at the next intersection"