Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus

Re: Windows XP: Remove the Cable, Tape Up the Ethernet Port

I don't disagree Blitzen.

I was just saying in the scenario a "power user" needs to hedge his XP to be secure because maybe he has certain leagacy apps he needs that won't run on 7 or 8 (16-bit calls), or other conditions and still wishes to use the PC to some degree that it is doable for those people with smart computing practices.

you are right though, most average joes run full blown admin and are a prime target for run of the mill malware to turn them into botnets.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

The fact is most malware is ran by users, not by exploits, and with most of them elevating it, otherwise already running as a full admin they let that trojan horse onto the system themselves.

True.

IMO the security of any computer is a function of both the OS and user using it.

Ignorant users need a more secure OS that prevents (UAC, blacklists etc) them doing dumb stuff.

Educated users can use a less secure OS since they don't do the dumb stuff.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Trihexagonal5

Premium Member

to Trihexagonal5
said by Trihexagonal5:

There's these Operating Systems things called Linux and BSD and I hear they're giving them away for free... And word is they run great on old machines!

Who woulda thunkit?

Makes you wonder why the government doesn't use an open source platform. Unless MS is donating Window products to the government to get a tax write off.