All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
davidnewt
join:2009-08-10
Conroe, TX

davidnewt to RobThompson

to RobThompson

Re: Will an Asus RT-N66U router work okay with VoIP?

said by RobThompson:

I have been using this exact router, attached after my Bell Canada router, for that past 4 months without a problem on my OBI 202 ATA.
I installed the Tomato shibby firmware.

Rob.

I have tried tomato before as my main router. The ATAs behind it works fine, but the Asterisk server have problem (no audio). So I use DD-wrt router as main router but Tomato routers as WDS clients. Right now, it seems that DD-wrt for N66U not stable yet, so, I keep the Asus firmware. I have been used DD-wrt/Tomato for a long time, so, I did not get used to the Asus firmware yet. It seems that Asus firmware works fine, but some important functions are missing comparing to DD-wrt/Tomato, such as SSH, bandwidth monitoring, WDS with WPA2 encryption, etc.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

1 recommendation

dbmaven

Mod

Take a look at the Merlin firmware. A lot of people recommend/are using this for the RT-N66U or AC.
»www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck to davidnewt

Premium Member

to davidnewt
First, thank you to all who have responded so far. Sounds like this router will be a good choice.
said by davidnewt:

I have tried tomato before as my main router. The ATAs behind it works fine, but the Asterisk server have problem (no audio).

This is exactly the sort of issue I wanted to know about. Not that we had planned to use Tomato anyway, but at least now we know better than to even consider it. Thanks!
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

For the record, plenty of us are using Tomato routers with Asterisk. I don't dispute that the other poster had issues, but I wouldn't leave Tomato permanently off the table. Tomato is an excellent distro and in my experience performs far better for VoIP than any stock firmware I've ever used.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by Mango:

For the record, plenty of us are using Tomato routers . . . Tomato is an excellent distro and in my experience performs far better for VoIP than any stock firmware I've ever used.

I'm only using basic VoIP functions, but my Tomato installation seems glitch free. As a Tomato fan, I would also like to point out that there are an awful lot of varieties and versions so using the term generically may not be appropriate in the context discussed here. I'm using Tomato Shibby AIO 105 which has so many configuration options that I don't doubt that someone could make it unfriendly to VoIP if they didn't know the ins and outs of how this protocol works.

Oh, I almost forgot, my PAP2 is actually behind yet another router which is running the old small version of Tomato 1.28. So, my VoIP is making it through two different routers running two different versions of Tomato.
davidnewt
join:2009-08-10
Conroe, TX

1 recommendation

davidnewt to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

For the record, plenty of us are using Tomato routers with Asterisk. I don't dispute that the other poster had issues, but I wouldn't leave Tomato permanently off the table. Tomato is an excellent distro and in my experience performs far better for VoIP than any stock firmware I've ever used.

I did not spend much time to try to figure out why asterisk does not work behind my Tomato router (E2000 with TomatoUSB1.28). Since DD-wrt works fine for me and I got used to DD-wrt, I just simply went back to DD-wrt. I did not mean to eliminate Tomato as an option. Actually, all the ATAs behind Tomato work perfect. BTW, one big advantage of Tomato over DD-wrt: it is much easier to setup WDS with Tomato than DD-wrt. So, normally I use DD-wrt as main router and use Tomato routers as WDS clients.

Well, at least for this particular router (N66U), the stock firmware works very well so far with asterisk and ATAs behind it.