Search similar:

uniqs

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel

Premium Member

[HN7000S] Help with 7000S, please. Is this thing dying?

I thought I'd already asked for help, but, could not find my previous post.

For a few months my internet has been slower than before. My signal is strong, but, lately I can no longer get my Rate Code up to 4/5 where it used to be. For the past couple of days it is mostly sitting at 1/2.

My dish is over 10 years old and the modem must be 4 or 5 years old. Do my current statistics indicate that my equipment is dying or is there anything that I can do to help this situation? I really don't want to get into Gen4 and would prefer to keep this thing running, if possible. I've got the old "Pro" plan and I'd hate to give up my free download time. I'd rather install another used 7000S than give it up.

Here are my current stats:

Adapter Main Statistics:
------------------------
Signal Strength.............. 83 Stream Msg-Ackd/Nakd........ 15286/0
Flags............... 0x00001020 NonStream Msg-Ackd/Nakd..... 33/2
Stream Error Rate....... 0.00% NonStream Error Rate....... 5.71%
UpTime (d:h:m:s).. 000:00:30:59 Aloha Starts................ 33
WakeUp Aloha Starts.......... 0 Ranging Starts.............. 0
Transport Alarm Bit..... 0x0000 Frames Received............. 87877
Addresses Open............... 7 Frame Errors: CRC/Bad Key... 0/0
Carrier Info....... 117:W:10500 Miscellaneous Problems...... 1
Rate Code........ 256k 2/3 (TC) No Receive Outroute Lock.... 12
Inroute Group................ 20 No FLL Lock................. 398
Inroute...................... 3 No Network Timing Sync...... 0
IQoS ID...................... 0 Current Modcod.............. 8-PSK 5/6 (15)

Rate Code Selection: Selected the highest available rate

Ranging Reason: Ranging Done

Inroute Group Selection: Ranged at inroute rate selected by IQoS

Receive Status: Receiver operational. (RxCode 5)
Transmit Status: Transmitter ready. (TxCode 8)

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Mine did that a year or so ago on 91' W after they changed frequency's on me.

Hughes is to the point of no return IMHO.
I was even offered a free "upgrade" to Gen4 but declined.
I'll run this until it dies then go with Excede.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

Mine did that a year or so ago on 91' W after they changed frequency's on me.

Hughes is to the point of no return IMHO.
I was even offered a free "upgrade" to Gen4 but declined.
I'll run this until it dies then go with Excede.

I wish that were an option now that I see they have a free download period. Not available in my area.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

I hate to say it but I believe it is the gateway or transponder you are on & you might have to bite the bullet and call tec to try and have them change you.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

said by sharkyyoung:

I hate to say it but I believe it is the gateway or transponder you are on & you might have to bite the bullet and call tec to try and have them change you.

Oh no! Aargh!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
That was my first thought as well. Have you been keeping track of which transponder/gateway assignments? I've been moved four times in the last two years. Customer attrition has lowered the demand for expensive Ku-bandwidth. So as Ku-clients either cancel or migrate to Ka-band, the remaining Ku-accounts are being consolidated. After years of DVB-S2 service (adaptive outroute), this most recent move has disappointingly been to a DVB-S transponder.

//greg//

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

1 edit

Just Rachel

Premium Member

said by grohgreg:

That was my first thought as well. Have you been keeping track of which transponder/gateway assignments? I've been moved four times in the last two years. Customer attrition has lowered the demand for expensive Ku-bandwidth. So as Ku-clients either cancel or migrate to Ka-band, the remaining Ku-accounts are being consolidated. After years of DVB-S2 service (adaptive outroute), this most recent move has disappointingly been to a DVB-S transponder.

//greg//

I've been on the same one for a very long time. I'll try to get up the nerve to call today. I have only called them twice in the ten years that I've had this system.
smokey92070
join:2012-12-19
Santa Ysabel, CA

1 recommendation

smokey92070

In case you feel you need a 7000s modem,I have one that worked just fine..it is no longer needed by me, I found a better ISP. I can be contacted through this topic line. Forty dollars and you pay shipping takes it.

Raminto
join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT

1 recommendation

Raminto to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
Here comes my experience with rate code:
I'm on 127/1381 and had 256 4/5 for years. All of a sudden the code changed to 256 1/2 and stayed there without a transponder change. After a month or so I called in and was told that 1381 was downgraded to 256 1/2. Finally they agreed to change me to 1070 and the rate code was 256 4/5 again - so far so good. But here is the funny part:
After another couple of weeks they changed me back to 1381 and the rate code is 256 4/5 again. So I do not know what really happened, but the information that 1381 was downgraded was wrong.
In you case: Maybe you will wake up one morning and will see the 4/5 again?

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

I decided to email them since I abhor talking on the phone. I requested that they put me on a different transponder. They emailed me back and of course required me to do some troubleshooting crap...web response testing. Naturally, the tests are falling within what they deem acceptable.

Some gal from India called today also. I was on my way out the door. She'll call back tomorrow.

It's going about the way I expected. Boo.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Good luck with the call. Most likely it will be the same old script...
Do you have a router...bla bla bla
In the end, some how, some way it will be your fault.

They are having sooo many issues with their flagship Gen4 they fix that any issues with a 7000 won't even register on the meter.

I bellyached so long and hard on their forum that Sara/Vera called me up..offered a free "upgrade" to Gen4. I never called back.

Call them if you wish..myself, I'll run it until it touches a nerve and then I'll call Excede. At least they speak english.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

The phone call went about like I expected. She asked if I have a router. I lied. She fiddled around for about 10 minutes. I think she said that she was ranging. I told her that I'd try it for a few days and call back if necessary. Nothing has changed. My rate code is still 2/3. Whatever.
Skeleton
join:2013-05-21

Skeleton to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
Internet died last Wednesday. Called, all they would do is recite their scripts, wouldn't listen. I refused to dismantle my wireless network that is working fine. Customer for about 12 years, but they said my HN7000 was dead, wanted $299 for an upgrade, wanted to charge for service call, required new two year contract, can't get here until Monday'. Told them I would not pay. Service contractor came, worked over three hours, calling tech support several times. Finally they tell him they decommissioned the freaking satellite. Didn't tell customers, didn't tell service contractors. HN7000 is OK. I paid the service guy in cash, terminated their ability to charge my card, and now have Verizon Internet service. Very nice and fast little portable unit, up to 5 connections. Much satisfaction in dumping Hughes . Incompetent , non-english-speaking arrogant people
Skeleton

Skeleton to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
You are very fortunate you called them only twice in ten years. I had to call sometimes several times a month. Always something going wrong that they insisted was my fault. But magically, after screaming sessions, it would start to work again. They slowed us down several times a week, in spite of my getting up at 2:00 am to get software patches and such. Didn't watch videos, or download music, etc. Their stats are faked for sure.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

What satellite were you on ?

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

I've got my 4/5 back today for the first time in ages. No other changes were made. Whatever.
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

1 recommendation

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

Ho,Ho,Ho its magic you know. or just Hughes playing with the switches.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Playing with the switches methinks.
My modem has been dropping out several times per day of late.
I know the weather has been bad both here and at the NOC but not everytime.

I think Excede will soon have a new customer.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

Playing with the switches methinks.
My modem has been dropping out several times per day of late.
I know the weather has been bad both here and at the NOC but not everytime.

I think Excede will soon have a new customer.

Mine went out several times yesterday. Lights on, lights off. I expected that some changes were being made. None visible except for the 4/5.
HDRKC072
join:2013-07-29
Lebanon, IN

HDRKC072 to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
Hey, I've been on satellite since the days of DirecPC and have had the HN7000S with 2 watt tran and large dish for as long as I can remember. I have also been very fortunate over the years to have only had to call the dreaded support rep once. Over the past two weeks, the system has gradually ceased to function. Now after checking all cabling, replacing some and testing connections; I have no internet connection period. The modem power light is on, but the other lights will flash every 7-10 seconds. Sometimes it will stay on briefly enough for the status indicator in the tool bar to light to yellow then it will return with an exclamation point in a grey circle. Is the modem dead or does has anyone have any suggestions other than jump ship? If possible, I'd like to keep the 'ole girl running; but it doesn't look good. Thanks for any help.
ExSatUser
join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
HDRKC07....since you go back to DirecPC (like I once did too)...do you remember how Hughesnet (Direcpc/Direcway/etc.) slowly phased out the older systems to optimize the newer systems? My guess is they might be doing something similar with the 7000's...pushing people to Gen4 or the 9000's.

My advice, however, is to jump ship. After being with Hughesnet (for about a decade...I dumped them in 2006) I switched to Wildblue. Wildblue was okay, but then I upgraded to Exede and don't regret it. Quit beating a dead horse...upgrade...lol.
HDRKC072
Lebanon, IN

HDRKC072

Thanks for the advice - don't have many options in my area, but did go talk with Verizon about Home Fusion. I agree, I think my days with the dish are about to end.
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

I hear good reports on Homefusion, at least from former satellite users. While Homefusion isn't a very good alternative for many land line internet users, if we have the option of only satellite internet or Homefusion, I think Homefusion wins hands down.
HDRKC072
Lebanon, IN

HDRKC072

Thanks again. I went and talked with Verizon and am going to have the Home Fusion system installed this Friday. Have communicated with several others who have gotten the system and they appear happy. No problems other that an occasional disconnect for a short time. Currently using cell phone tethered to pc via USB and getting 4-6MB down and around 1MB up, which is considerably faster than what I was used to with the HN7000S. Home Fusion is supposed to be faster than cell tethered so I guess I'll find out in a couple of days. Thanks for the helpful info. Take care
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
Please follow-up with your Homefusion experience! I have read about a few that have dropped satellite internet in favor of it, and all appear to be happy. If I ever got a tower in my local area (the tower has been "approved" now for 2+ years), I would definitely consider dropped Exede and moving to Homefusion. Same cost, same data levels, better latency, perhaps better speeds, and potentially more reliable. What wouldn't there be to like!

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

I first noticed the tower upgrade on my phone. Paving previously connected at 3G or slower, I started seeing it connect 4G/LTE. Took advantage of the free installation and 14 day "trial" period, I liked it - and committed to the 2 year contract. As you likely noted in another topic, my satellite gear is now up for sale

//greg//
ExSatUser
Fresno, OH

ExSatUser

Shows how bad things are getting for satellite internet companies when they lose 10+ year customers to 4G.
HDRKC072
Lebanon, IN

HDRKC072

Yes, sad state of affairs. I just don't understand why Hughes has let their customer service and support go to the dogs. I'm looking forward to the Home Fusion install tomorrow and will follow up with how things went. I'm one of those "ole farts" that just hates letting go of anything and parting with the Hughes Dish sitting out by the edge of the woods will be one of those times. I guess I'll have to have a few beers in memory of the good times and lay the 'ole girl to rest. Maybe I'll do like grohgreg and list her on the site for sale. That way she maybe able to go to a new home and be "reborn"
Wyngs
join:2010-02-20
Coos Bay, OR

Wyngs to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
My Hughes has been working fine for some weeks now. Acceptable, I mean. My Hughes antenna and direcdtv are both on the same post -steel embedd3ed in concrete. Oddly, I slowly lost the tv while maintaining acceptable internet (over weeks). I had them come out and repoint the tv dish, which is working great now. Now I'm wondering, if the bank the pole sets on has moved slowly, maybe that coincidently pointed my internet dish better. haha.

The point is, have you tried having your dish repointed?