Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Fedora 19 To Stop Masking Passwords

»it.slashdot.org/story/13 ··· asswords

"'Maintainers of the Anaconda installer in Fedora have taken it upon themselves to show passwords in plaintext on the screen as they are entered into the installer. Following on the now recanted statements of security expert Bruce Schneier, Anaconda maintainers have decided that it is not a security risk to show passwords on your screen in the latest Alpha release of Fedora 19. Members of the Fedora community on the Fedora devel mailing list are showing great concern over this change in established security protocols.'

Note: the change was first reported in the linked thread by Dan Mashal."

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

Not sure what it means by entering passwords into the installer (unless that would be for a user account), but to me, depending on circumstances, it makes sense to show the passwords in plain text as you type them in.

In most situations, that would be my preferred entry method.

If I were in a public place (even an open work area), I would want them hidden.

GILXA1226
MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

GILXA1226 to antdude

MVM

to antdude
I like the way windows 8/ie 10 handles this. You get the little eye icon and if you want to see what you entered you click it and it shows up, release the click and it's hidden again. Comes in handy.

lsatenstein
@bell.ca

lsatenstein to therube

Anon

to therube
I am for showing passwords.
I write with English, French and Spanish keyboards (layouts). (qwerty/azerty/latam)
The characters #, @ and many others « » ° and € are in different places. But I usually want them in my root password.

The other concern is that I may be in upper or lower case, and I would not know (root is preselected, just complete the password).
So, I actually do installations in two steps.
step1 install with root password being 1234567 (the numbers are all in the same place for all keyboards).
When the system asks me to reboot, I do so, but then I log into root, and the first command I run is:
passwd

To set the root password.

In so doing it now, in Linux, as root, I am confident about which keyboard layout will be active for login, I am confident about the upper/lower case setting and I am certain that my special characters in the root password will be hidden from view.