spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

inthebasemen

@sbcglobal.net

antena

Can I hook up an antena/booster to my AT&T 3801 HGV modem?

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
You mean a TV antenna? Not on any of the 3801s I've seen.

tunasub

join:2004-10-08
Manteca, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon west (ex..
Do you mean to boost the WiFi signal?
[3801 is not a STB]

I'm sorry but that is not possible, there is no port on the RG "modem" to place an antenna. If you are having signal issues try and locate the modem in an open space as high up as possible.

Advanced Idea:
You might also try logging into the RG and changing the channel that the WiFi signal broadcasts if you have similar wireless devices that share the same freq.

inthebasemen

@sbcglobal.net
yes to boost the signal. I considered running an antenna to one of the upstairs walls. the 3810 modem has an output spot on the back. If it's not possible with that model. I am considering a different modem that I would purchase on my own (also foregoing the monthly fee). Anyone recommend doing this and have a recommendation on best modems I can purchase and boost with a 20-30 foot antenna?

StillLearn
Premium
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

1 edit
You can buy a WiFi access point, and wire that into one of the Ethernet ports. Locate that access point where the signal is weak.

You can use the same SSID and security on both. »superuser.com/questions/122441/m···ame-ssid Do not have the access point do the DHCP; let the 3800 pass out the IP addresses.

Alternatively you could use a different SSID, and select which you want to use for each computer.

A wired access point will be better than a WiFi range extender.

If your 3800 is at one end of the house, you could position a sheet of metal, possibly in a corner reflector configuration, to improve range in one direction at the expense of other directions.