All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Stu Pidaso
join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN

Stu Pidaso

[WIN7] Going from WHS to Win7. Anything to make Win7 similar?

I have been running WHS for awhile but I am going to switch it to Windows 7 Pro and use it as a Windows Media Center hub for other PCs and devices in the house to access for TV. I was wondering about a couple of things.

1. Is there a way to setup folders/shares similar to how WHS worked? You could set permissions for read/write per PC on the network.

2. Is there a way to have PCs on the network do automated backups to the Win7 Pro machine like WHS did?
Torrid Zone
join:2009-06-13
Carmel, NY

Torrid Zone

Re: [WIN7] Going from WHS to Win7. Anything to make Win7 simila

This probably isn't a direct answer to your question but would you consider using Windows 8? I switched from WHS 2011 to Windows 8. Windows 8 has the Storage Spaces feature built in which I find ideal for a server. It combines multiple hard drives into a single virtual drive. It can mirror data across multiple drives or combine multiple drives into a single pool of storage. Folder sharing is easy as was setting read/write permissions. I also have each PC backup automatically to the server.
Stu Pidaso
join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN

Stu Pidaso

Thanks for the tip. I would have considered Windows 8 except they broke compatibility with the Ceton Echo. Although I do not own one of those there is a possibility I may purchase one in the future.