join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to 54067323

Premium Member

to 54067323

Re: Free Hot Water From The Sun. And It Works Too. ;-)

Commercial versions of these things are VERY common in certain countries, you see them on almost every rooftop. Oftentimes the tank is mounted on top of the panel itself, and the water is circulated by natural convection so it does not necessitate an electric pump.

I'm actually quite surprised that solar water heaters aren't more common in the southern US where there is more than enough solar energy and warm weather for systems like this to be effective. There's really no excuse, they should be on everyone's houses. Compared to photovoltaic panels, these water heaters are much cheaper and they pay for themselves much quicker.

If I lived in a warmer climate I'd definitely be installing a system like this, but at my current geographical location in Canada, such a system simply would not work for most of the year.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned)

said by TheMG:

If I lived in a warmer climate I'd definitely be installing a system like this, but at my current geographical location in Canada, such a system simply would not work for most of the year.

This is down in Gulf Shores Alabama and as of now this is where I stand hot water wise.

The upper reading is the panel and the lower reading is the storage tank and since there the panel is less than 8 degrees higher the pump is off is indicated by the LED being out.

Haven't had the time to label the controller yet.