gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Let the war begin

As per another post on this forum, the usage limits have been re established and are now in effect.

My response to this action will be to CANCEL ALL SERVICES at an undisclosed time, for an undisclosed period of time.

When I do call to cancel my service, I will make it entirely clear why I am doing so.

I will also post here when I take these actions.

Who is with me?
areacode304
join:2006-08-26
WV

areacode304

I'm going to call in later today to see whether or not the caps are active in my area. If so, they can take their internet service and stuff it.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
That's cool. Do any other providers in your area offer competitive speed/price or cap/price ratios?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by Cabal:

That's cool. Do any other providers in your area offer competitive speed/price or cap/price ratios?

Centurylink is the other provider, other than cell phone providers.

The last time I had CL the max I could get was 5/768. Not sure if they have caps.

I plan to use my cell plans data when I disconnect my internet. It surely has expensive prices for data, but I already pay for 2 gigs so I might as well use it.

My biggest beef with SL, is when I signed up years ago, they had no limits, and now they want to push them on us, and act like its some value added service for us. My cell plan has always been expensive to use data, therefore I had no expectations of it being cheap.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog to Cabal

Anon

to Cabal
If you have a good option I'd go for it NOW and lock it in.

It is pretty clear prices are going up and Caps are going back on at most ISPs. FIOS is the most recent to announce they are cutting back on promotional pricing and raising rates.

this guy
@suddenlink.net

this guy to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram
Canceling service with a 250 gig cap to use a cell service with a 2 gig cap? I see this being a short lived protest

abnormal69
join:2003-04-19
Branson, MO

1 recommendation

abnormal69 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Not joining in this parade. Sorry.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by abnormal69:

Not joining in this parade. Sorry.

It doesn't look like anyone really cares enough to do anything about the caps, and frankly with so little alternatives out there, who can blame them.

If tomorrow, our rates went up $30 hardly anyone would blink.
longgone
join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

longgone

said by gatorkram:

If tomorrow, our rates went up $30 hardly anyone would blink.

No... wouldn't blink a bit with the expected, and now with eyes wide open, I've realized... just make a change in direction.
sj
join:2007-08-21
Winterville, NC

1 recommendation

sj to gatorkram

to gatorkram
A $30/month increase would affect me. This cap does not. Why protest something that makes no difference?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by sj:

A $30/month increase would affect me. This cap does not. Why protest something that makes no difference?

Makes no difference to who? You? and for how long will you not be affected? Do you expect them to increase the caps over the coming years? They don't even have different amounts for the 50 or 107 plan.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

Yes, I said it would not affect me specifically. I've got the 15 meg package and I am content with it. I see no reason to pay for more speed when this is adequate.

They offer uncapped business accounts. They also actually offer decent customer service on the business accounts. If you want to use that much data I don't understand why not just get one of those?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by sj:

Yes, I said it would not affect me specifically. I've got the 15 meg package and I am content with it. I see no reason to pay for more speed when this is adequate.

They offer uncapped business accounts. They also actually offer decent customer service on the business accounts. If you want to use that much data I don't understand why not just get one of those?

The 50/8 business account is 340ish a month.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

But there is no cap. You get what you pay for.

In truth, if there were not bandwidth hogs who refuse to pay for dedicated lines then we would not have caps to begin with.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I should also mention, I fight against the caps not just for myself, but for everyone who is unhappy about them, and maybe affected by them.
gatorkram

gatorkram to sj

Premium Member

to sj
said by sj:

But there is no cap. You get what you pay for.

In truth, if there were not bandwidth hogs who refuse to pay for dedicated lines then we would not have caps to begin with.

The term bandwidth hog is very offensive...

Have you done any math at all, to see how little you can use your connection, based on the speed of your line, and the amount of data you get per month? I have, it was in another post, if I used my connection to its fullest for 1 single hour per day, in a 30 day billing period, I would owe something like $30 in overages. Is it really being a hog, to use my connection for 1 hour per day? Really?
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

I agree there should be higher caps on higher tiers simply because you are paying more. If the speed is tiered the cap should be.

However you seem to believe there should be no cap at all. That is poor network management.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by sj:

I agree there should be higher caps on higher tiers simply because you are paying more. If the speed is tiered the cap should be.

However you seem to believe there should be no cap at all. That is poor network management.

Poor network management? Really? So all the years before now, they were using poor network management techniques? If they were using good network management, they surely wouldn't need to employ caps.

They admit themselves less than %1 of their users are causing "the problem" so then why do they have to punish all of us?

Seriously, no offence, but you are really drinking the koolaid.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

Having experienced Suddenlink from the start, yes, I would say they had a very poor management grasp of their network.

On a shared medium like cable, it's impossible to keep the network running efficiently without some limitations on the users...
...to which people say "add nodes"
Okay then, let's add nodes. The bill needs to be jacked up to pay for it. Is that still a good plan of action?

I'm not "drinking the koolaid" I'm looking at this from a business standpoint. Suddenlink is a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS. They have to do what is right for the company, and thankfully for the great majority of its customers... not lose money and punish the good customers because a few people want to download torrents all day. If you don't like what they do and think your business plan is better, plow in some fiber from Level3 and start your own ISP. Or just move to Wilson.

arandomguy
@suddenlink.net

arandomguy to sj

Anon

to sj
No, poor network management is overselling your nodes and using "bandwidth hogs" as an excuse for everyone using the internet at the same time. Using data after midnight, for example, won't greatly affect the mass number of people seeing congestion at around 6 PM. These silly caps do NOTHING for network management as they hit everyone at all times and do nothing at all to curb congestion.

It's one thing to raise awareness to people that might have a lot of bandwidth usage due to possibly be infected. It's another to charge them for it.

Also, are they not merciful in saying dropped packets coming to your modem from the outside won't count against your cap? It's not like some downloads have to restart from the very beginning due to the packet loss or that it would still count against your cap if you were uploading and the packet loss was further along the line. It's not like both of those are very real scenarios in the gaming world either....oh wait.

When the CEO of Suddenlink made the statements mentioned in the following article - »stopthecap.com/2010/09/0 ··· ly-over/
he basically said that anything they would do from now on are effectively cash grabs. NO money from these schemes is going into making their service any better, it's only going straight to the bank and anything the leaders of these companies say to the contrary are flat out lies.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

If they were using good network management, they surely wouldn't need to employ caps.

Logical fallacy: strawman.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj to arandomguy

to arandomguy
said by arandomguy :

When the CEO of Suddenlink made the statements mentioned in the following article - »stopthecap.com/2010/09/0 ··· ly-over/
he basically said that anything they would do from now on are effectively cash grabs.

And again, Suddenlink is a for profit business that is free to do what they want. If you don't like it, team up with gator - you two can start your own competitive ISP and use the management practices you espouse here. If the price is right I'll even sign up as a customer.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

One more example, of fair usage here...

I have the 50/3 plan, which gives me 350 GB of transfer.

This means, in a 30 day period I get 11.66 GB of transfer per day, or 33.4 minutes of full speed usage of my connection per day. About 1/2 an hour.

»/calcu ··· vestate=

So is that a good value? Is using more than that abuse?
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

I consider 12 gigs a day quite the haul, yes. It's certainly not even close to what most people use.

Is it a good value? Only you can decide that for yourself. Personally, I don't think it is and that's why I have a lower tier package.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog

Anon

LOL, the cited article is from 2010, a few things have exploded since then...can you say "streaming"?

I think the caps should be higher too, but realize the top 1-2% that exceed them often do so by a mile, hence the use of terms like "hogs".

The "I can blow my cap going full out in 10 mins" is a stupid argument. Ignoring that you could not sustain that rate and actually do it, the argument is akin to bitching at Honda because you no longer get the advertised 30 mpg due to the fact that you've decided that all driving will be done at 100+ mph.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to sj

Premium Member

to sj
SJ, the only thing I'm going to say is remember all your arguments when a few years down the road you are going over the caps because you have increased your usage over a faster (likely a free upgrade) connection and the caps have remained the same.

Because it doesn't effect you has to be probably the single worst argument I have ever heard on any issue. That mentality has a lot to do with the downturn in the 'American way of life'. Out of sight, out of mind?

Do I have a problem with SL wanting to make a profit? Absolutely not. But to charge like a utility based on consumption, their business model should change. Charging whatever made up price they want to because they CAN shouldn't be considered ok by anyone. They should also be regulated like every single other utility AT LEAST to the point that there is a publicly verifiable and accurate meter.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

Bandwidth hogs slowing down the connection that I do have would affect me more. So yes, I do care about this.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle

Premium Member

Your statement is STILL illogical. Explain how caps reduce congestion? 1% of your node continuously streaming isn't enough to make your connection slow. That being their number of 'hogs' and reason as to why the caps are in place. What effects your connection is when 400-500 modems are trying to download or stream at the same time. We call that prime time use. So if the remaining 99% of users on your node are staying UNDER the cap, but your connection still sucks, what is your new argument to justify caps?

And on the extremely far flung change that SL has built their network out to the point that 1% of users on a node CAN saturate it, something is seriously wrong. Using an example node of 1000 modems, 1% would be 10 modems. For shits and giggles, give all 10 of them the 107 connection (not even available in all markets). If 1 Gigabit of traffic stops a 1000 modem node, changes should have been made a LONG time ago. Looking beyond the idea that caps will do a damn thing, take 500 users on the same node all connecting at 15 megs trying to stream netflix. That's a theoretical 7.5 Gigabits of traffic and only accounting for half the node. Also, according to SuddenLink, NONE of those users will even come anywhere near the cap but is using 700% more than the 1% hogs.

Do the damn math and don't be so ignorant about what caps will actually do.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj to gatorkram

to gatorkram
I give up. You don't seem to know much about how shared cable actually works. It's not worth my time to explain.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

moldypickle

Premium Member

I just pointed out to you exactly how shared cable works. I would love for YOU to point out to ME how 1% of users are able to cripple your speed. PLEASE, enlighten me.

Then if you could, inform me as to how overages fix that problem for you.

I'm all ears on this.