spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlgUSF

@bhn.net

Wow! vs. Brighthouse in Pinellas

Are there any Pinellas county Wow! users out there? I have read here where Wow! has upgraded Knology's network from the old GTE Americast days to provide good competition to the BHN network out there. Can Dan provide any details? My wife and I have switched out BHN cable for DirecTV, and are looking to ditch the Internet service.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by AlgUSF :

Are there any Pinellas county Wow! users out there? I have read here where Wow! has upgraded Knology's network from the old GTE Americast days to provide good competition to the BHN network out there. Can Dan provide any details? My wife and I have switched out BHN cable for DirecTV, and are looking to ditch the Internet service.

Some upgrades to the internet services in Pinellas have already been completed, and we are now offering a 15mbps download service, up from the previous limit of 7mbps. Major upgrades for the Pinellas market will continue throughout this year and probably the next to transition to an all digital lineup with more HD channels and even faster internet packages once we're sure it can be supported. These upgrades take time, so it won't all come quickly, but Pinellas area customers will see a lot of changes over the next year or two.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

AlgUSF

join:2013-05-06
Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by WOW_Dan:

said by AlgUSF :

Some upgrades to the internet services in Pinellas have already been completed, and we are now offering a 15mbps download service, up from the previous limit of 7mbps. Major upgrades for the Pinellas market will continue throughout this year and probably the next to transition to an all digital lineup with more HD channels and even faster internet packages once we're sure it can be supported. These upgrades take time, so it won't all come quickly, but Pinellas area customers will see a lot of changes over the next year or two.

Thanks, Dan. I for one welcome some new competition in the broadband arena, especially since Verizon bailed on rolling FIOS out to most of southern Pinellas County. My friends in Tampa are getting much better deals from Verizon (Cable, Internet, and Phone for like $80 +tax). My wife and I had basic HD-DVR service and 10Mbps Road Runner and our bill was like $130.

AlgUSF

join:2013-05-06
Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Well, my wife and I decided to take the plunge and sign up for WOW! internet access. We are bringing our own modem (a Scientific Atlanta err. Cisco DPC2100) which I grabbed off newegg for 45 bucks.

We live out in Seminole which is northwest of St. Pete near the beaches. Dan, I guess I will get a chance to see how your upgrade of the CMTS system went out here. Hopefully you got a chance to check out the beaches when you were down.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
said by AlgUSF:

Well, my wife and I decided to take the plunge and sign up for WOW! internet access. We are bringing our own modem (a Scientific Atlanta err. Cisco DPC2100) which I grabbed off newegg for 45 bucks.

We live out in Seminole which is northwest of St. Pete near the beaches. Dan, I guess I will get a chance to see how your upgrade of the CMTS system went out here. Hopefully you got a chance to check out the beaches when you were down.

The beaches were nice, spent some time in St Petes too. It was a nice break from Chicago in the winter time, though going home on the weekends was wreaking havoc on me between 80 degree weather and 20 degree weather.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

SeminoleTom

@bhn.net
reply to WOW_Dan
Is all Internet traffic still being routed to Atlanta first? As a Knology customer a few years ago they suddenly started routing all traffic through Atlanta and that caused a lot of lag and latency vs. Verizon who was peering through Level 3 and UUNet right here in Tampa. That was the deal breaker for me (that and lower speed tiers) but I welcome the improvements and will definitely be looking at Wow again once some of the upgrades are completed.