Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

Mayweather on top of the world?

Floyd's getting a lot of good press for an apparently impressive outing Saturday against Robert Guerrero although the rednecks who wanted a "brawl" apparently weren't satisfied. Looks like the next likely opponent will be 22 year-old Canelo Alvarez. Under his Showtime contract he has five more fights and that he says will conclude his career. Of course he should be labeled for the chicken he is for making every excuse possible to avoid what may have been the fight of the century with Manny Pacquiao a couple of years ago. So, is he going to come around and do this before the contract (and his career) is over? Of course it won't be what it could have been after Pacquiao's last outing but I still blame Mayweather more for this than I do Manny.

Relevant articles:

»sports.yahoo.com/news/mayweather···067.html

»sports.yahoo.com/news/floyd-mayw···box.html

»bleacherreport.com/articles/1629···pacquiao
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

anwgo153
Premium
join:2002-04-08
Roselle Park, NJ

I think the anticipation went down because of Pacquio losing. But alvarez seems like a good candidate

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to takeahike

Mayweather is an exceptionally talented fighter with no heart or courage. I truly believe he was competitively afraid of Pacquiao several years ago before the Pac Man's decline in skills.

Remember Mayweather is a guy that just barely beat De La Hoya who at the time was clearly past his physical fighter all tough he still was very good. Had Oscar just used his jab more he clearly would have gotten the decision and he pressured and dictated the entire fight. Less than a year later De La Hoya was totally dominated and beaten up by Pacquiao.

Boxing over all has been declining for years and it's people like businessman Mayweather that have contributed to that.

I don't expect boxing ever again to be as popular as it was in the eighties, (the best decade ever), through the nineties to a lesser degree than the eighties. It's been shot pretty much since about 2005.

Mittvok
Premium
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

reply to takeahike

Mayweather is the best boxer out there. Shane couldn't touch him, Cotto couldn't, Ortiz got KOed, Ricky Hatton got stopped. You can throw the De La Hoya thing out there but Oscar is an amazing boxer. Manny wasn't beating Floyd 3 years ago and he couldn't beat Floyd now.

Floyd fights when he wants. He has that 0 that everyone wants to take away from him. You don't get a record of 44-0 in boxing without being good.

Expand your moderator at work

The Shadow
Premium
join:2013-04-18
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Mittvok

Re: Mayweather on top of the world?

Shane though a skilled fighter was well past his prime when he fought Mayweather. Also, it was clear that Shane did not fight a good fight that night, he definitely had an off night and Mayweather won easily except for about the second round when Shane came close to knocking Mayweather out. He had him badly hurt. Cotto is a skilled fighter and was a worthy opponent or challenger. Ortiz is an average fighter. Ricky was good but not outstanding and he too was past his prime.

De La Hoya was well past his prime when he fought Mayweather and as stated lost a close decision. De La Hoya controlled and dictated the the fight but lost a split decision to Mayweather. Everyone agreed that had De La Hoya used his jab more that he probably would have won the fight. (For reasons unexplainable even by De La Hoya he simply failed to use his excellent jab.) De La Hoya's main tactic was to constantly be aggressive and pressure Mayweather at close range--something he was able to do even at De La Hoya's advanced age.

IMO Mayweather could not stand up under the pressure combined with the punching power and hand speed that Pacquiao brought to the ring four or five years ago. (Look how he completely utterly destroyed De La Hoya causing him to quit on his own in the corner so bad each round was he getting beaten up.

Unfortunately, Pacquiao's skills have declined the past two years considerably. He could not now beat Mayweather the way he is now fighting now except by way of the out of the blue one punch KO that can happen to anyone.

Manny at his peak was not the greatest fighter of all time but he was IMO perhaps the best offensive fighter I've ever seen.