Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..

[Help] Trillian messaging issues?

Recently, I've begun having issues with Trillian. I use the AIM section as my prime IM. Several times now when I've been typing out messages, a good chunk of my message will turn blue like it's been highlighted to do something and whatever I'm typing past that will erase the highlighted text, making it so I've got to go back and retype whatever it was.

What causes this problem? Is anyone else seeing this?

EDIT: While I was typing out the subject line, I moved my mouse backwards and saw part of the line highlight in blue, just by moving the mouse, I didn't hold any buttons down either.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Maybe change the batteries in your mouse?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
I switched out the battery just for the hell of it and once again moved the mouse backwards and it highlighted text again.

Don't think it's the battery now.

Any suggestions? (This is the only mouse I've got, so I can't swap for anything if this is dying)

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to Chris 313
Try Pidgin.im?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Chris 313
Try typing in Notepad and then move the mouse. Does the highlighting happen still? Then it is the mouse or possibly the mouse drivers.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Doctor Olds:

Try typing in Notepad and then move the mouse. Does the highlighting happen still? Then it is the mouse or possibly the mouse drivers.

Dunno if it has, the problem in Trillian has gone away since a restart of all things. Hasn't done it yet. If it does, I'll try the notepad thing.

If it means anything. I have one of these: »www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsoft+- ··· =1&lp=10

It may be the mouse is going bad. I have been using it for 3 years or so. Only problem is it eats batteries like crazy. (Gotta love rechargables)

Being that I'm using the mouse I am, I don't think this mouse has any specific drivers. Am I wrong?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
said by Chris 313:

If it means anything. I have one of these: »www.bestbuy.com/site/Microsoft+- ··· =1&lp=10

It may be the mouse is going bad. I have been using it for 3 years or so. Only problem is it eats batteries like crazy. (Gotta love rechargables)

Being that I'm using the mouse I am, I don't think this mouse has any specific drivers. Am I wrong?

IntelliPoint 8.2 mouse driver here:

»www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ··· use-1000

If you don't install the hardware specific mouse drivers, the system and mouse use generic drivers that come with the OS and that may affect battery life also if the drivers are needed to enable power saving modes.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
I went and looked and I have one of these: Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000. Apparently there is a software driver for that too. Dunno if I ever installed it. Didn't know there were power saving features if you installed the drivers either. I just leave the mouse plugged in all the time (Doesn't it stay on continuously unless you unplug it?) and switch batteries when needed.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit
said by Chris 313:

I went and looked and I have one of these: Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000. Apparently there is a software driver for that too.

Correct. Driver is here: »www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us ··· use-3000

said by Chris 313:

Dunno if I ever installed it.

If you did it will be in the Add/Remove Software applet under the Control Panel. If you didn't then it will not be listed there.

said by Chris 313:

Didn't know there were power saving features if you installed the drivers either. I just leave the mouse plugged in all the time (Doesn't it stay on continuously unless you unplug it?) and switch batteries when needed.

It is a possibility that there are features missing (such as power saving) that are not present due to not installing the "specific" drivers and using the default "generic" drivers that are supplied by the OS. You can alternately check the specifications and features documentation from MS to see if power saving features are a part of the software drivers or not. It is a 50/50 possibility, depending on MS.

Update: Product Guide states to not use any rechargeable batteries.

»download.microsoft.com/download/ ··· uide.pdf
quote:
Disposable (non-rechargeable) batteries only:
Caution Risk of explosion if battery is replaced by an incorrect type. Use and replace only with correct size and type (alkaline, zinc-carbon, or zinc-chloride) of batteries.
Further info from MS states:
»download.microsoft.com/download/ ··· 3000.pdf
quote:
Product Feature Performance
Mouse Button Features - 3 buttons including scroll wheel button
Mobility Features - Snap-in receiver turns mouse off, conserving battery life

Power Requirements
Battery Type and Quantity - 1 AA alkaline battery (included)
Battery Life - 6 months typical
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
I downloaded the driver software and haven't noticed any difference between functions with or without the software.

I checked the add/remove. It was only there after I installed it. So eh. We'll see.

I've used rechargeable batteries since the beginning without a problem and don't see any reason to stop, unless I have a problem. I have a few regular batteries around that I also use while recharging, but those seem to be fading. Dunno how old they were before I bought them and they sat in my drawer for a bit before even opening them. So, we'll see.

Thanks for all the help so far, but it appears none of this was any help. I'm still having the highlighting erases with my Trillian convos. I was given a great piece of info that has saved me from having to retype after highlights. Ctrl-Z. I have also discovered a problem. Those highlights. The program has begun crashing at random whenever a highlight happens. So the whole highlight thing may be an issue with the program itself. Until I can look into this further, the ctrl-z trick saves me a lot of work and has been a lifesaver.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
Well you can try downgrading the Trillian program to an older version. Have you tried that?

»www.oldversion.com/windows/trill ··· rillian/

You did try to see if Notepad (or any other text based software) did the same thing when Trillian was acting up, right?
--

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
said by Doctor Olds:

Well you can try downgrading the Trillian program to an older version. Have you tried that?

»www.oldversion.com/windows/trill ··· rillian/

You did try to see if Notepad (or any other text based software) did the same thing when Trillian was acting up, right?

Haven't tried that yet. Don't wanna do that unless I have to. I'll post on the Trillian forums and see what they say. I've got crash logs if I can find the damned thing.

I did try notepad and nothing that I noticed. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. I tried the actual AIM program as well and saw no highlight erases that I could see whether just moving the mouse or my standard typing.

Maybe Trillian is corrupted somewhere? Reminds me of my base Firefox profile, which after several successive upgrade versions, started acting funny. I was doing a scan disk once and it came up as being corrupted. When I used that profile, it would dupe every window I had. And within hours, I was drowning in 2 sets of the same tabs. And I couldn't get rid of them fast enough to keep up.

I'll keep trying to see if there's a solution to this, but for now ctrl-z works like a charm for any erasing highlights.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for trying to help me and cluing me into some things I didn't know

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
Cool. Hope you find a solution soon.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Vonage
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast Digital ..
Here's some crazy for you. My mouse suddenly stopped working on screen. None of the buttons worked. Changing batteries made it work for a moment, but was all jerky and choppy until it stopped again.

Changed USB ports, thinking something was hinky, immediately back to life. Full function too. Got me thinking my USB ports on the back are bad. But it doesn't quite make sense since everything else I plug into the ports USB wise light right up without a problem.

Haven't seen anymore erasing highlights either yet.

Hinky, random issue that's been solved by something I did?

Boggles the mind, don't it?