join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

Will porting out number cause IP-DSLAM DSL to cancel?

My niece has an at&t landline with U-verse Internet (IP-DSLAM DSL with a Motorola 2210 and Cisco E1000 router if I remember correctly). She receives separate bills for the landline and Uverse internet services.

If she were to port out her landline number, would the porting out cause her IP-DSLAM to be automatically cancelled? Or would her DSL continue to function as-is after the landline number port goes through successfully?

She currently pays ~$16/month for the landline (unlimited local calling with Lifeline) and ~$43/month for the Uverse internet (IP-DSLAM DSL. 6Mbps down). She is looking to port her landline number out to Google Voice with an obi110 device to get rid of the landline charge. She hasn't been able to get at&t to renew the $19.99 promo price on the Uverse Internet.

I wonder if she'd just be better off to just move her internet to Time Warner Cable? I checked TWC's website and found that they offer 15/1 (up/down) Mbps service for $44.99/month (plus $3.95 modem rental fee if she doesn't want to buy a cable modem)... would she need to get any of TWC's TV services to get that price? My niece and her family currently use Netflix and OTA for TV and won't be getting any cable TV service.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer!

PayPhone

join:2013-05-06
Costa Mesa, CA
No but it may be temporarily interrupted between 5-9 am if the central office gets an order to take the battery(dial tone) off her circuit.

if you really want to cancel her IPDSL then you're going to have to call in and do it. porting will only terminate her land line.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
said by PayPhone:

No but it may be temporarily interrupted between 5-9 am if the central office gets an order to take the battery(dial tone) off her circuit.

if you really want to cancel her IPDSL then you're going to have to call in and do it. porting will only terminate her land line.

I'm thinking that she may want to keep the IPDSL and just lose the POTS line.

I know that with the "old" DSL (ADSL, not the pseudo-Uverse IP-DSLAM), porting the POTS number out would definitely cut the DSL off since the POTS and ADSL are lineshared and are billed on the same bill. But I'm not sure about POTS lineshared with "U-verse Internet" (IP-DSLAM) that is billed separately from the POTS.

My niece originally had 768Kbps/384(?)Kbps ADSL but needed to upgrade to a faster speed back in the summer of 2011 because 768/384 was just not adequate for Netflix streaming. at&t offered her 6Mbps for $19.95/month for a year, but forced her to go from ADSL to IP-DSLAM and get a new DSL modem.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to slyphoxj
With the older ATM based DSL service, the DSL account was tied to the telephone number to which it was attached whether it was line-shared with a POTS voice service, or was a stand alone DSL circuit.

Your niece may be able look at her monthly AT&T bill(s) to find the answer. If she paid a single bill, and there was no separate account number associated with the U-verse IPDSL service, then my guess would be that when the number port went through, the DSL service would likely be disconnected along with the POTS voice service. Since there are two separate bills, and if the IPDSL service is listed with a separate account/phone number, then there shouldn't be a problem with porting the number that is only associated with the POTS voice service.

Just calling the billing department number that is usually printed on the bill should provide the definitive answer.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
reply to slyphoxj
If you want lower cost then TWC - check Earthlinks website. (They resell TWC internet - and can possibly be cheaper.) They also still offer the 7 Meg service as well for less $$.