spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

2 year contract change?

I'm pretty sure we got our existing phones in Sept of 2011 and they came due for an upgrade this month (May, 2013). So while the contract said 2 years, it was actually a few months less. However I just upgraded and it's saying these won't come due until a full 2 years (May 2015). Just wondering if something changed or if it's my memory that's at fault here. THANKS!

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64

Premium Member

Verizon recently changed their upgrade eligibility. Instead of being eligible to upgrade every 20-months on a 24-month contract, you are now required to wait the full 24-months.

"In alignment with the terms of the contract, customers on a two-year agreement will be eligible for an upgrade at 24 months vs. today's early upgrade eligibility at 20 months. This change aligns the upgrade date with the contract end date and is consistent with how the majority of customers purchase new phones today. The first customers impacted by this change are customers whose contracts expire in January 2014. As always, customers may purchase a new phone at the full retail price at any time."

Source: »news.verizonwireless.com ··· ent.html

If you purchase a phone at full retail pricing, you can upgrade at any time during your contract and the plan / contract end date will not change (as you are not signing a new contract or changing existing terms on the contract).

It is my understanding that you can use the new "Device Payment Plan" to purchase the device at full retail without changing the contract terms.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Shrapnel64:

Verizon recently changed their upgrade eligibility. Instead of being eligible to upgrade every 20-months on a 24-month contract, you are now required to wait the full 24-months.

"In alignment with the terms of the contract, customers on a two-year agreement will be eligible for an upgrade at 24 months vs. today's early upgrade eligibility at 20 months. This change aligns the upgrade date with the contract end date and is consistent with how the majority of customers purchase new phones today. The first customers impacted by this change are customers whose contracts expire in January 2014. As always, customers may purchase a new phone at the full retail price at any time."

Source: »news.verizonwireless.com ··· ent.html

If you purchase a phone at full retail pricing, you can upgrade at any time during your contract and the plan / contract end date will not change (as you are not signing a new contract or changing existing terms on the contract).

It is my understanding that you can use the new "Device Payment Plan" to purchase the device at full retail without changing the contract terms.

That sounds like a deal I might try then. Paying full price for a new phone will save me at around $1k over two years instead of getting a subsidized phone and switching to their new plans. Since right now I'm on unlimited data, text, video with 450 minutes of calls for only $70 a month(before taxes). And switching to their new plans would cost me around double that each month and I still would not have unlimited data and would have to worry about paying overages.
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura

That's funny. For us, we'll save $20/month based on their new plans compared to our existing ones from 2 years back. Something for all lol!
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to fishacura

to fishacura
I never heard about the device payment plan , how much would you pay off monthly (additional on the bill) for iPhone 5 16GB?