spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

possible to use actiontec or zyxel as router only?

just curious if its possible to use the actiontec or the zyxel from telus as just a router, i thought telus disabled the WAN ethernet port but im not sure, and if its not possible regularly is it possible with modded firmware or something like that..

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3

Now why on earth would you want to do that? There are far superior routers out there.

Normally people want to do the opposite, to use the Actiontec as a modem-only and use their own (superior and more reliable) router.

Whistler, BC

if it really matters i can have upto 4 dynamic ip on my shaw modem so just knowing i could have a seperate router with seperate ip could be good for certain reasons, right now i use 1 ip for each xbox and 1 for my dir so i have 1 free and why not use em if i got em laying around

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to 18286719

I'm sure it's doable, but probably more trouble than it's worth. More than likely you'll need the root passwords (which you will not be able to obtain on this forum) and you might also need to flash the firmware. Anyways, it's unlikely you'll be able to find what you're seeking here.

But really... what a mess, seriously, a proper router could do all 4 WAN IP addresses in a single device, with isolated/separate NATs and LANs if you really want to, all in a single device. There's no need to have physically separate routers for each IP.

But why do you want to use up all 4 IPs so bad? There's no need for it, unless you're hosting multiple servers or something.

Whistler, BC

yes but almost no routers can handle dynamic and static ip's at the same time, i want to have 1 static 3 dynamic

+my cisco dpc 3825 wont give more then dynamic ip to my dir 655, even when i only have 3 dynamic available

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to 18286719

said by 18286719:

if it really matters i can have upto 4 dynamic ip on my shaw modem so just knowing i could have a seperate router with seperate ip could be good for certain reasons, right now i use 1 ip for each xbox and 1 for my dir so i have 1 free and why not use em if i got em laying around

Would you mind not trolling the thread? How was your answer even relevant to the topic?
--
Bell Canada: It is “Preposterous" that consumers should get content they want on their cellphones.

Whistler, BC

are you dumb? he said why would i need to do it, if i have extra ip's why the fuck not..... my answer was completely relevant because if i only had 1 ip i would never wanna do this, and before i was on shaw i never new modems could get multiple ip's like that, so i would guess telus users dont know that either. and yes, i would like to have upto 4 ip's so i dont have different things on my home network fighting for ports, example is 2 xbox's

telususer

join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

Most people only need one router and one internet IP address. The router helps to protect the internal network. Generally it is bad to connect devices directly to the internet as there are thousands of bots scanning IP addresses for open ports to exploit. Since the XBox is a Microsoft product, it is probably vulnerable.

islandraised

@teksavvy.com
reply to 18286719

said by 18286719:

are you dumb? he said why would i need to do it, if i have extra ip's why the fuck not..... my answer was completely relevant because if i only had 1 ip i would never wanna do this, and before i was on shaw i never new modems could get multiple ip's like that, so i would guess telus users dont know that either. and yes, i would like to have upto 4 ip's so i dont have different things on my home network fighting for ports, example is 2 xbox's

different things fighting for ports?

Cool. I wonder how that works?