how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chucksg

join:2013-05-06
Hesperia, CA

Change Netgear Ip Adress

I'm using a Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall Fvs338. The DSL modem I'm using is a Westell 6100 from Verizon.
The problem is when I connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port, the network is running fine but no internet connection. When I connect Ethernet cable through the local port, internet and network work fine but no router functions.
I have talked to Verizon tech support (for hours) and change settings (with tech guidance) on the DSL box and the router, but still doesn't work. One thing I noticed is the IP address for the DSL box and the router are the same 192.168.1.1 Not sure if that's the problem.

Thanks for the help.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by chucksg:

I'm using a Netgear Prosafe VPN Firewall Fvs338. The DSL modem I'm using is a Westell 6100 from Verizon.
The problem is when I connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN port, the network is running fine but no internet connection. When I connect Ethernet cable through the local port, internet and network work fine but no router functions.
I have talked to Verizon tech support (for hours) and change settings (with tech guidance) on the DSL box and the router, but still doesn't work. One thing I noticed is the IP address for the DSL box and the router are the same 192.168.1.1 Not sure if that's the problem.

Thanks for the help.

If you are using DHCP on the router's WAN interface (or even static IP assignment on that same IP subnet), then yes that is the problem. The router's LAN interface can not be on the same IP subnet as its WAN interface, much less use the same IP address on its LAN as is used for its gateway. Change the router's LAN interface to use a different IP subnet (such as 192.168.2.1) and your connection will probably work. You could alternatively change the LAN IP address used by the Westell 6100 to use another IP subnet, but I don't know if Verizon's firmware will allow you to change it (ISPs often cripple modem configuration capability).

With that configuration you would have a cascaded NAT condition (because the Westell 6100 is also a NAT router), but if you put your router's WAN IP address in the "modem's" pseudo DMZ, that should minimize the problems caused by cascaded NAT.

Another solution for cascaded NAT (which may or may not be a problem for you, depending on the applications you run) may be to setup the Westell 6100 to use "IP Passthrough" mode to your router's WAN interface (that would put the public IP address on the router's WAN interface). AT&T's version of the Westell 6100 had that mode, but I don't know if Verizon's version supports it or not.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

chucksg

join:2013-05-06
Hesperia, CA
reply to chucksg
Thanks for the replay.
Findley got a Verizon tech to come out, told him I thought is was a IP conflict. They when over all the same things I did with the other techs and after 2 hrs, changed the IP address on he modem and that was it, everything works great!

Thanks