uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

1 edit

Shaw DNU Miconception

lets start this with 3 questions

1. how many of you are in an area where DNU phase 2 is complete

2.how many of you currently get the phase 2 upload speeds (plz post pictures)

3.how many of you have been waiting for the DNU phase 2 to complete, better upload speeds, or both (assuming you are aware we are suppose to receive a bump in upload once DNU phase 2 is complete)

now 1 more question

how many of you understand if or why the DNU needs to be completed to get better upload speeds?

thats the big question

now what if i told you, the phase 2 DNU has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with increasing upload speed, my guess is you would probably be a little confused like i was

now to explain, cable works on a wide band of frequencies, upload is between 0-108MHz, and im almost positive shaw isnt even making full use of all that, the DNU is pulling channels to free space for download frequency, not upload, the channels that are being removed are all between 200-800MHz

why shaw has not upgraded everyone's upload is mind boggling to me, but whats even crazier, is how the refuse to bump mine up and tell me if i want it to buy bb100, this is garbage and needs to change, im waiting for a DNU for no reason because shaw doesnt know what there doing. ya that makes sense

i should also add that if the telus 50/10 were to be available in my area, i wouldnt be able to stay on the shaw unless they were able to match the speeds by that time, and i dont expect telus taking that much longer to get it done

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
My brother is in a Calgary area that has not had the DNU done and he gets 100/10
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
reply to 18286719
I don't know what phase I'm on, but at least the initial phase (removing most of the analog channels) has been completed now since last fall, and I still don't have the updated upload speeds.

Last summer I contacted Shaw and they said that the "faster tier" (in my case BB250 when I asked) should be available in the "fall" after the DNU upgrade.

Fall came and went and I called in again and asked about it, they said due to the fire in the Calgary office, that it would be postponed until the Jan/Feb timeframe.

Jan/Feb came and went, still no update, so I call in again and they basically changed to "we have no timeframe on a potential upgrade".

At some point it was noted that they're waiting for network hardware upgrades, and that was the reason they haven't introduced the new speeds in my area. Granted that was some number of months ago now.

Basically at this point, I'm just waiting for Teksavvy to start offering the 50/10 DSL package and I'll likely switch. The only reason I came back to Shaw (from Teksavvy) in the first place was the need for a faster upload.

adiabatic

join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC
reply to 18286719
1) I'm pretty sure the DNU was done for my area over a year ago. I have all the channels I should and no FM stereo signal.

2) Still stuck at 100/5

3) It's pretty frustrating as I can't host gaming any more because with the number of guys we have I don't have enough slack in my upload for other household users.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
u should call in and asked to be bumped up to phase 2 dnu speeds for the bb100, it should work, if it doesn't thats just sad, if it does work, plz post speeds!

S1L1K0N

@shawcable.net
Not sure where you get your facts, but in North America the Upstream (or Return) part of the CATV Spectrum is between 5-45MHz. Now, considering that anything below 15MHz is unusable for anything but FSK modulation (due to the fact that this area of the spectrum is very prone to RF noise) and that leaves the area between 20-45MHz useable for Telephone and Data traffic.

DNU is their first step in freeing up capacity on the Downstream (Forward) plant so that they can go back and move the lower channels (between 55MHz and 200MHz) higher in the band and then use the European CATV standard which allows them to occupy between 5-200MHz for Upstream capabilities.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

2 edits
Depending on the options selected
5 to 42 MHz, 5 to 65 MHz or 5 to 85 MHz

I'm sure I have seen other specs showing from 5-108, but it escapes me right now

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to 18286719

said by 18286719:

now to explain, cable works on a wide band of frequencies, upload is between 0-108MHz, and im almost positive shaw isnt even making full use of all that,

... NO ONE is making use of all of that. As someone else already said, anything below about 15-17mhz is unusable, and the vast majority of existing plant equipment won't work above 40-45mhz. In older areas you're still dealing with return equipment that won't work above 35-38mhz.

The less you know the easier it seems I guess.
I have a lot of HFC experience, and as a Shaw customer I definitely wish they were moving faster than they are. However, I also understand it is a massive, MASSIVE project. Their original timelines and estimates were obviously way too aggressive/optimistic.

said by 18286719:

im waiting for a DNU for no reason because shaw doesnt know what there doing. ya that makes sense

Or much more likely... you skimming a docsis article on wikipedia for 5 minutes doesn't make you an expert, and there are reasons for the schedule they're on (and for the delays they've had).

S1L1K0N

@shawcable.net
reply to kevinds
Well, I know for a fact that they are using the 5-45 band. Channel 2 is @ 55.25MHz. The actual bi-directional filters are good to about 50MHz, but most vendors won't allow you to go beyond 45MHz. This way they ensure there is a guard-band between directions.

One of the early benefits of switching to the DNU line-up is the ability to offer 8-channel downstream Internet services. Along w/ extra needed downstream capacity (from them to you) it also let's them offer the 250Mbps service. Another side benefit of the DNU line-up is that they offer 16-channel downstream VOD services, this means it's less likely to order a movie and get the 'service unavailable' message.

DNU is just a stop-gap until all analog services are removed.

Upstream speeds won't increase much until the vendors adopt 256QAM modulation for the upstream carriers (they are hesitant to do this because the upstream band is inherently noisy) or the operators move to the Euro-DOCSIS standard (5-200MHz upstream band). The maximum modulation scheme of the current DOCSIS products is 64QAM, and the chassis that handle the DOCSIS modems dynamically adjust their modulation downward if/when there are problems w/ SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio). From 64QAM they can drop to 16QAM and then QPSK. In terms of usable bandwidth it's about 12Mbps to 6Mbps to 2Mbps per upstream channel. So a 4 channel per serving group (current standard used @ Shaw) DOCSIS chassis is capable of 48Mbps. Most of the nodes in the Winnipeg region have their own serving group, so in effect each node has 48Mbps of upstream bandwidth available, yet 288Mbps available on the downstream (DNU). This is why the speeds offered are so asymmetric.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
I believe they are using 4x3.2MHz channels starting at ~28MHz right now

Even expanding to 6MHz channels (for upstream) would make a huge/massive difference
--

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
reply to 18286719
They had info on shaw.ca a year ago about 10mb upload coming, but there is nothing on the site now. Is it still possible?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
My brother has 10 mpbs upload, BB250 has 15 up, so it is definately possible, if you can, is a different question
--

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
Sorry, I dont mean technically possible, I meant possible to get bumped to the upload speeds or was it phased out in the multitude of changes this company makes eavery quarter.