how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

Crank-up towers

A recent question here about 4 CCTV cameras inspires me to ask about towers as I've been considering to put-up a tower, with four outdoor cameras facing N-S-E-W, to enable me to watch for both weather and wildfires (and trespassers).

But I need to get up above-the-trees and think maybe a 30-45' tower is needed.

Are these something that can be erected as a DIY project (I have a steel barn and can pour concrete)? If not, how do I find a tower erector (don't even know how to search for one)?

battleop

join:2005-09-28

A crank up tower is going to be pretty expensive. You could get 5-6 sections of Rohn 45g or 55g and put it up for less than $1000. If you are able to follow instructions on the foundation and you are not scared of heights and follow safe practices while erecting the tower you can do it your self. There is no real reason why you could not do the project alone except it's not a good idea to climb on the tower without another person there that could help you in the event of an emergency.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to laserfan

No personal experience, but there is a forum for those running WISP's here and discussions on towers and such.

Just doing a site wide search for "tower" gave over 4000 leads -
»/nsearch?board···&q=tower

Glancing through the posts, see stuff on grounding, wiring to tower, and bunch more.

Try some other terms, who knows what you may find?

Have fun and hth

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
reply to laserfan

might post in the Electronics forum, there are a couple of radio engineers there with tower experience.

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
reply to laserfan

There's also a "Ham Radio" forum. Ham people tend to be intimately familiar with towers, and may even have specific recommendations for your area.

Brad.
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
reply to laserfan

Look for a fiberglass flag pole.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to laserfan

Why bother with 4 cameras? Just put up one in a dome that you can direct in whatever direction you want. That way you could put up a very nice camera (high resolution). You can even set it up so it pans automatically if you desired.

Tig

join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to laserfan

Towers can be self installed. Think of the TV antenna towers that radio shack sold.
Not sure of the price these days, but I've seen 66' installed by home owners.
Since cable through, there are many un used towers around here.
If you do find a tower to remove, use a safety harness and check carefully to ensure bolts are tight and the structure is sound. As a teenager I worked for a TV shop (with no training). One day I marched up an old tower not noticing one loose and one missing bolt, until the structure shifted.....

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to laserfan

Just keep in mind that motion detection recording isn't going to work for shit on a swaying pole. For live monitoring, not an issue. Unless you get motion sickness.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to laserfan

said by laserfan:

Are these something that can be erected as a DIY project (I have a steel barn and can pour concrete)? If not, how do I find a tower erector (don't even know how to search for one)?

If you stay with a lightweight camera one is these is within the scope of a DIY type project.

»www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_Ma···s/83.htm

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to laserfan

Grabbing a decent 360 camera will do the trick and save you time and money.
I suggest something along the lines of a Vivotek FE8171V
Here is a demo/discription

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1btEGH2nbI

Also the camera is POE powered and it can record locally to the camera on a SD card.
--
Getting it Done.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Have you noticed that Vivotek and Foscam have nearly identical software?

laserfan

Texas
reply to hortnut

said by hortnut:

Just doing a site wide search for "tower" gave over 4000 leads

Thanks for all the input fellas. Yeah I posted here because I got too many hits on any of the search terms I've used.

Lotsa good ideas and I will pursue them.

I have a lot of experience with Foscam stuff but want cam(s) on this pole/tower that are high(er) def and pro quality if possible...

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
reply to nunya

Most of the cameras out there are made by the same companies, just different firmware and company logos.
We sell everything from cameras that cost us $50 to ones that run $6k.
We do however try to stay away from Chinese camera systems, as for years, they have been known to have back doors in them.
--
Getting it Done.

cosmicvoid
Infinity Or Bust

join:2001-01-02
Kingston, WA
reply to laserfan

As for erecting a tower or working on the camera install, you could rent a Genie lift for the day, and do it safely.

laserfan

Texas
reply to 54067323

said by 54067323:

If you stay with a lightweight camera one is these is within the scope of a DIY type project.

This seems an easy answer at first until I realize I don't want guy wires all over-the-place, to get in-the-way and to look cheesy.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by laserfan:

said by 54067323:

This seems an easy answer at first until I realize I don't want guy wires all over-the-place, to get in-the-way and to look cheesy.

Any tower that tall you put up, unless it's 6+ inch round, is going to sway without guy wires.

alphageek911

join:2007-08-10
Fresno, CA

1 recommendation

I've placed a number of fixed and PTZ cameras on used wood utility poles, they can usually be obtained and installed fairly cheaply, and the wood dampens vibration and wind sway better than freestanding metal poles.

laserfan

Texas

Yeah I like the utility poles too but getting at the gizmos on top for service would be a challenge.

I need to find a tower pro, and show him what I'm thinking of doing, which atm is a crank-up tower of some sort that apart from the concrete base could be attached 17' up to the steel beams in my uber-strong storage barn. My question to him would be: how much farther-up could a tower reach stiffly i.e. before requiring guy wires.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

You might want to consider a tilt over tower like the one shown here:

»www.qsl.net/ei7ba/Crank-up%20Til···ower.htm

The way you set the tower up for easiest use, depends on the roof style of your house. A friend of mine that was an active Amateur Radio Operator set up a tilt over tower on his property. He had a two story house and set the tower up so that the tower tilted up parallel to the roof line and locked into a special locking device installed at at the peak of his gabled roof. The locking device was controlled from ground level. He added counterweights at the base of the tower so that it required a minimum amount of effort to tilt over the tower. He also included a built in stand about half way up from the pivot point to the top of the tower. It was extended by gravity when the tower was lowered.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to laserfan

20' to 60' Rohn Foldover
»www.rohnnet.com/towers-foldover

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

said by laserfan:

said by 54067323:

Any tower that tall you put up, unless it's 6+ inch round, is going to sway without guy wires.

I have a self supporting tower without guy wires. 86' total height. Does not sway.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to laserfan

First question - do you have zoning approval? When I put up my tower I had to get a permit. As a ham radio operator I was exempted from the onerous requirements that commercial tower operators have.

So if you are not putting up this tower for ham radio use, you may run into some problems with your local zoning board and neighbors who will complain when they see your tower going up.

As for the actual tower, crankups are fine but expensive. US Tower is the popular choice for crankup towers. You also can't climb a fully extended crankup tower. It is extremely dangerous to do so.

YOu can get a fixed height tower. Usually you get 10 foot sections in various widths, For cameras you can use Rohn 25. You will need guy wires. You'll also need lightning protection per code.

I use a self supporting tower from AN Wireless. The tower itself is about $5000 but the foundation added to the cost. I had a 5 foot tower section embedded in the concrete base per the manufacturer's specs. It was in a rebar cage and they used high strength concrete. The foundation contractor also used a concrete vibrator during the pour.

I used a crane to lift the whole thing and it was bolted to the foundation.

If you want to hire someone to do this soup to nuts, look for a wireless contractor. Talk to local hams. They may know people. I know a few people who travel. However the foundation is something you would have to get done.

And it might be a good idea to get a ham license and say the tower is for ham radio.

laserfan

Texas

My needs are simple, relatively short (see post 1) and no neighbors/zoning/approvals are involved.