join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

[DD-WRT] Connection Type Static IP - Invalid Subnet Msg

I installed the latest dd-wrt DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/15/13) and have a fixed IP from Brighthouse. When I attempt to save the subnet of 255.255.255.252 I get an invalid subnet msg.

This is a new install for me. Am I missing a setup step when using a static connection with DD-WRT? I even attempted to set NVRAM subnet using the command, but that did not resolve my issue.

My stock router works fine using the fixed setting. Any info is appreciated.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Just a total guess here, but are you sure you typed everything else in correctly? The thing that sticks out to me, would be your static ip and gateway, dont fall within the given mask of your subnet, thus you are getting an error.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

said by gatorkram:

Just a total guess here, but are you sure you typed everything else in correctly? The thing that sticks out to me, would be your static ip and gateway, dont fall within the given mask of your subnet, thus you are getting an error.

I don't disagree with you there, and I've entered it until I'm blue. I'm thinking that the BHN are tinkering with the subnets somehow and dd-wrt is catching this.

I called BHN support, and of course they said it was a valid subnet for the IP. 71.4X.2XX.238 - I'd like to prove them otherwise.

I have the fixed IP as I run a PBX at home. Makes things easy.

breto

join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to Trimline

255.255.255.252 means 4 hosts (2 usable), so is the static IP they gave you within 4 IPs away from the Default Gateway IP they gave you?

If not, I suspect your ISP does belong to the funny routing club.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

said by breto:

255.255.255.252 means 4 hosts (2 usable), so is the static IP they gave you within 4 IPs away from the Default Gateway IP they gave you?

No

My static IP is 71.X3.XX3. 238
Default Gateway is 71.X3.XX3. 237

said by breto:

If not, I suspect your ISP does belong to the funny routing club.

I would not be surprised. I'm tempted to open a trouble ticket with them, but not sure what to ask for.

breto

join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL

That looks OK to me, 71.x3.xx3.238 is within 4 addresses from 71.x3.xx3.237

If this worked in other version of DD-WRT, I am more likely to think this is a bug in the latest firmware, and you should be asking the DD-WRT folks for help.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

said by breto:

If this worked in other version of DD-WRT, I am more likely to think this is a bug in the latest firmware, and you should be asking the DD-WRT folks for help.

Thanks for looking at the addresses. I really appreciate it. I'll search for DD-WRT bugs on this, if not, open one.

Cheers.

Trimline
Premium
Windermere, FL
reply to breto

Found this bug. Very similar with a workaround. Thanks.

»www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=751544