gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Interesting financial info on SL

Some interesting numbers on how SL is doing financially..

Boy, it sure is a good thing they put these broadband caps in place, profits sure were suffering (not)

»www.cedmagazine.com/news ··· -project

They seem to be blowing a big chunk of money on their phone offerings too.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal

Premium Member

6.4% growth in revenue is pretty meager. How much money do you think they should be allowed to make?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by Cabal:

6.4% growth in revenue is pretty meager. How much money do you think they should be allowed to make?

How much do you think they should be able to gouge us?

Seriously, when is enough enough?

Some of you people, I swear, just bend over and take it, hand over your wallets, and be done with it.
sj
join:2007-08-21
Winterville, NC

sj

I don't at all like how much TV is, but Suddenlink is cheaper than satellite was (at least for me).

For internet however I am paying them roughly $30/month for a 15m package. That is less than I paid Embarq for 5 meg DSL. Where exactly am I being bent over? I'm quite satisfied paying a fair price for the service I receive.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

Gator is just jealous that he is paying more for internet than just about everyone on here. My bill shows $45 a month for 30mb internet. Of course this is because I bundle with TV.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

said by Cabal:

How much do you think they should be able to gouge us?

Seriously, when is enough enough?

Some of you people, I swear, just bend over and take it, hand over your wallets, and be done with it.

Are you for real? The article makes no mention of an actual net profit and you think they are gouging you? What is that based on? Your per-existing bias?

New flash SL lost $17M last quarter!

»phx.corporate-ir.net/pho ··· ghlight=

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Just as you are all free to have your opinions that you aren't being gouged, and are paying a fair price for your services, I am free to think otherwise.

How I come to my conclusions is based on all the postings I have read on these forums over the years. You'll find many instances where people in one market pay X$ for one service, and in another they are paying X$+ for the same service, or even a lesser level of service. We even have examples of people paying different prices for the same services in the same town.

They won't even publish their prices on their website, and it makes me wonder why.. Or, I should say at least not for their residential offerings.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle to benk016

Premium Member

to benk016
Benk, I have the 30 meg internet, my own modem, and bundle with tv and internet alone costs me just short of 80/month.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog to gatorkram

Anon

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

Just as you are all free to have your opinions that you aren't being gouged, and are paying a fair price for your services, I am free to think otherwise.

How I come to my conclusions is based on all the postings I have read on these forums over the years. You'll find many instances where people in one market pay X$ for one service, and in another they are paying X$+ for the same service, or even a lesser level of service. We even have examples of people paying different prices for the same services in the same town.

They won't even publish their prices on their website, and it makes me wonder why.. Or, I should say at least not for their residential offerings.

I don't wonder why, it is pretty simple. Differences in markets.

In more competitive markets they may lower rates to acquire new customers. That is a business decision. They may also adjust pricing for under/overbuilt parts of their network. Some municipalities have contractual requirements that create additional cost to deliver the service so the customer's price goes. In some cases they acquire pre-existing networks so the build out expense is less. Some locations are simply more expensive due to less population density or environmental factors.

Expecting the same pricing across the US is just dumb. Heck you can't even get an automobile manufacturer to charge the same price for an identical car across the US, which is a lot closer to a widget than what an ISP delivers.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

How about my personal issue of another customer getting a hell of a lot better price on the same exact service in my own town? lol I get your idea across the country and I agree to an extent, but inside the same town?! come on
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

I will admit that Suddenlink's pricing makes no sense sometimes. For a few years I was a modem only customer and paid $65/month for 15/1.5 Internet. Then I added TV, and suddenly the modem dropped to $30. So I thought hey what the hell, I'll upgrade to 30 meg. I don't remember the actual price but it was outrageous, so instead of getting online and whining I didn't upgrade and kept that money in my pocket.

So really though, have you tried just calling to see if there's a newly coded plan for the same speed that's less? The business department of SLink will change plans but leave customers on their old plan still paying more than someone on a new plan getting a faster speed. Until you inquire, you don't know. I meet with my sales rep yearly for this very reason.

Demog
@cebridge.net

Demog

Anon

Exactly. No ISP offers price reductions to existing CUs unless they ask or threaten to leave/drop services. The last few years have been the era of bundled services. I mentioned going to Direct TV and they dropped my entire bill by almost 50%. The irony was I had to upgrade the TV to get into a plan that they could discount, so know I have even more channels I don't watch.

moldypickle
Premium Member
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to sj

Premium Member

to sj
SJ, I have indeed called to ask and have always been turned down due to the fact I'm an existing customer. I have been offered the usual upsale though every single time. I also have no interest in getting a larger package for a better price just to see the promotional price vanish yet again.

And threatening to cancel my account would be iffy at best. If they called me on it and said no problem, click, well,,, I can't even get a basic dsl connection at my house (nevermind the fact att just put a brand new fiber drop and dslam 1/10th of a mile from my house, wiring goes the other direction >.)

This also doesn't have anything to do with me getting online and whinning. I needed the 30 meg package (more really, but not enough money) strictly for the upload speed, measly 2 megs. I will raise my voice though to the illogical and completely made up pricing schemes this company uses.

Would like to know what kinda of residential connection you have that comes with a sales rep, think that would be an outstanding addition.
sj
Winterville, NC

sj

The absence of promotional pricing is why I left satellite and got my tv service from SLink to begin with. I wanted a fixed price and no surprises.

If the deals in your market are really that bad, I'm surprised anyone signs up with them.
longgone
join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

3 edits

longgone

said by sj:

The absence of promotional pricing is why I left satellite and got my tv service from SLink to begin with. I wanted a fixed price and no surprises.

If the deals in your market are really that bad, I'm surprised anyone signs up with them.

I just canceled DirecTV and was given three different offers, each one being much better than the one before, with discounted and free services, and without any contract commitments just to retain me, because was told that I was such a valued customer, even though everything was tempting, especially with the large discount reduction, but just like I'd told them from the beginning, that I was not in anyway dissatisfied with anything, as I just wasn't watching much TV and especially the DTV channels anymore, and having very High Quality OTA Local Broadcast TV, along with a Smart TV and now popular on-line content subscription streaming services becoming even more available, so with all those options being far more than adequate enough, and for being so much more cost effective, then I've made the decision to cancel. All those offered discounts, all their excellent services, and now the best overall Picture Quality by direct comparison of any Sat and Cable TV provider that I've ever seen were a temptation to keep them, but canceled anyway just like I'd intended.

I also contacted SiriusXM to cancel all that service, and was also presented with better discounted offers, since I had been a long term valued customer, so I decided to stay-on after accepting an offer that also included their Internet Radio, and at a cost that is well below 50% any of their regular subscription rates.

Suddenlink never offered me anything, in anyway, to retain me whenever I called to cancel their TV services a few years ago, but just like I've experienced in canceling those Satellite services, then I'd think that now Suddenlink must surely be making similar offers to their customers just to maintain that type of a good level of customer relations, just like their competitors are practicing and offering in the marketplace.

I'm not a fan of those binding commitment contract obligations, "fixed price", sudden overt superficial restrictions and limitations placed on existing customers like Bandwidth Usage Caps, that is all very compromising and detrimental to providing good business and customer relation practices.