spc
Search similar:

uniqs

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

[Telephone] Business telephone not working

Getting a fast busy on Charter business phone (4 lines). This is where I'd normally post a message in the social media forum and get an almost instant response.

Now, I've been on hold for 10+ minutes and zero support here in the forums. Thanks, Charter!
Velosity
join:2006-12-08
Cape Girardeau, MO

Velosity

Charter Business Phone out in Missouri also. Can't get through to support......

morbo

morbo

25 minutes and counting on hold. Phone service has come back and gone away several times now...
gochiefs
join:2013-05-08
Saint Louis, MO

gochiefs to morbo

to morbo
Down in Glen Carbon, IL as well. Been on hold for 21 minutes.

morbo

morbo

Phone lines appear to be back now. Just hung up my cell phone after 30 minutes on hold.
gochiefs
Saint Louis, MO

gochiefs to morbo

to morbo
i called the charter line from my cell and they answered, but they couldnt call out. Something about operator services for charter. Just got another message that are still not receiving calls so im guessing its not fixed yet.

STLCustomer
@tation.org

STLCustomer

Anon

Anyone know what happened to the phones? We have three locations across STL and all phones are down but internet is up
gochiefs
Saint Louis, MO

gochiefs

Everything seems be to be working at our two locations now. Glen Carbon and St. Louis.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
Charter had a major outage with their phone services. It affected well over 1/2 the customers. Everything should be good to go now.

morbo

morbo

Is there an official statement from Charter somewhere about this? I've never lost phone service, and it makes me seriously question moving from the phone company to Charter.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

This was likely a local outage. With the ground thawed, anybody and everybody waiting to do underground work is digging. I wouldn't be surprised somebody cut something, causing the outage. Just a likely scenario...

morbo

morbo

Is this a weakness of cableco infrastructure vs telco infrastructure? If the same thing happened to AT&T or Verizon, would it completely sever voice communications or do they have built in fail safes for that type of scenario?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

Hard to answer when the cause of this particular issue is unknown. While rare, I've heard of telco service being disrupted by severed fiber-optic lines.

morbo

morbo

I recall one instance when my voice and dsl was seriously degraded due to a cable issue. Took the weekend +1 day to resolve. Was many years ago.

I've had plenty of problems with telco DSL. I've only had one (the above) with losing voice connection.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to morbo

MVM

to morbo
It sounds like this was a widespread issue with Charter.
The telephone companies typically have redundant IXC between offices. In other words, if one IXC is severed between two offices, calls are shifted to another IXC (routed through another office).
Telco failures tend to be local in nature. While rare, there have been C.O. fires that could knock out a switch. From the switch out, the failure rate is probably similar (failures in the outside plant). These can be backhoes, squirrels, drunk drivers, fires, oversized trucks on suburban streets - you name it.

I do recall an instance in the early 90's where AT&T loaded shit code onto all of their 4ESS switches (toll tandems) and they crashed like dominoes.

Even if an office loses all connection to the outside world, local lines should remain up (excepting a switch failure).