Premium Member
join:2004-05-01

Webslinger to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26

Re: It's not free...

said by BACONATOR26:

Since it's just a matter of check boxes

And costs. Clearly, the big issue here is costs.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Webslinger:

said by BACONATOR26:

Not for modems.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Webslinger

Premium Member

to Webslinger
said by Webslinger:

said by BACONATOR26:

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

Leave at door and Do Not Safe Drop options are available free of charge on Xpresspost to Customers who use a Canada Post-approved electronic shipping system (excluding Ship-in-a-click).

I suspect TekSavvy uses an approved electronic system and if not they bloody well should.

It's all in the Xpresspost manual.

»www.canadapost.ca/tools/ ··· #1399968
Jaxom
join:2012-03-10
East York, ON

Jaxom to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
LOL, the company gives away something for free and people still find a way to complain.

Simply. Amazing.

Such horrible first world problems!! oh dear!!

Doctor9
join:2012-11-26

Doctor9

said by Jaxom:

LOL, the company gives away something for free and people still find a way to complain.

That is not the issue. You buy a modem from them and pay for shipping yourself, and they still do "card for pickup". You purposely ignore the majority of the posts that say they can't complain for a free item.

This "card for pickup" poster issue has put Teksavvy's shipping policies under scrutiny as a whole.

Not to mention the owner saying (paraphrased) "I don't believe Canada Post even has delivery to your door." and "Canada Post doesn't even have that option" yet he just provided a screenshot that proves that they do. (As if it were a surprise to anyone.)

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Doctor9:

That is not the issue. You buy a modem from them and pay for shipping yourself

Shipping is currently free (hopefully they'll make that permanent), so no, you don't.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
I'm ordered a poster and haven't received mine

Doctor9

Doctor9 to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Doctor9:

Shipping is currently free (hopefully they'll make that permanent), so no, you don't.

No it is not. That temporary promotion is for new customers only. So what's next?

»i.imgur.com/mR3NbPN.jpg
Webslinger
Premium Member

4 edits

1 recommendation

Webslinger to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Doctor9:

I had to pay for shipping a few weeks ago, and I was never told by anyone that the modem would be shipped "card for pickup". Also, I had been recovering from an injury, so my mobility was an issue. I don't have a disability, and I'll recover. But what about people who have permanent mobility issues? Are they lazy too and should suck it up when paying for shipping for a modem?
Webslinger

3 edits

Webslinger to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

said by Webslinger:

said by BACONATOR26:

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

I'm referring to whatever deal Teksavvy has negotiated with Canada Post, which must include the "card for pickup" option, since that's how Teksavvy ships all parcels. If they're not getting a special rate for selecting that option, then /facepalm. Also Marc said there are R&D costs involved to make changes.

If there's no cost advantage to choosing "card for pickup" as opposed to other alternatives, then insert eye roll here.

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

said by Webslinger:

If there's no cost advantage to choosing "card for pickup" as opposed to other alternatives

I beleive they do this to avoid theft , if someone was to steal an item that canada post left there would be outrage about that also .

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Webslinger

Premium Member

to Webslinger
Hum, we've tried a number of different ways of shipping and we landed on this because it was better than other alternatives. So, to say this what we are doing now doesn't work most of the time, I think is not accurate. The fact that there are so many pickup sites available with Canada post is a big plus.

The fact is that most times these modems do t fit in your mail of or else they would be delivered right to your home each time.. Past that we obviously don't want to have just anybody picking these up.

So then it becomes a question of asking for and spend more on shipping and having the post office person spend more time getting signatures, attempting multiple times... Would people be willing to pay double for shipping.. Is that something we would want to offer for everybody by default...

Seems toe that if shipping was way more expensive, more ppl wouldn't be happy about that either... So that doesn't leave much wiggle room.

Seems like, for the price, it's not a bad option as is and if you are able to receive oversized packages.. It will be delivered right to you..

I'm still investigating internally but as it stands. There isn't a silver bullet here and what we already have isn't bad in most cases.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

But where is the added cost exactly? Because it seems like the way you're wording things, you have the worst and inflexible agreement with Canada Post whereas if you look at my link,

if you're the average business customer like a VentureOne member you'd actually have more options with the same prices.

Unless of course you have an agreement with bottom barrel pricing in which case it probably would make sense the added costs and why you stick to it.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I don't follow.. The issue I think is that these are oversized shipments. They don't fit in your box. So, normally, the mail person puts the envelopes in your mail box and walks away.

In this case you can't do that because it won't fit.

So they leave a card in its place.

If they have to stop, knock on the door. Wait, if nobody is there, try again the next day.. If that doesn't work they eventually leave it at the nearest place for pickup... All of this is a considerable amount of extra work that they will charge quite a bit more for. I mean, you don't have to think about it much to appreciate that fact.

So, most people I think would prefer to pick it up when they have the time, than to try to be home when the mail person happens to come by. That's a big advantage. It decouples the mail schedules from yours.

So that's the advantage of doing it this way.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

Well aside from the option costs, it is their job and they do deliver a fair bit of packages by hand. Otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

And you should really read the guides because it explains it all. And they only attempt a delivery once then it gets sent to the post office same day.

Actually it's really like a courtesy drop because that same postman even if it's a carded item will likely be dropping it off to the post office right after anyway even if they don't bring it to the door.

Anyways the point still stands, they do it all the time for every other business customer.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Sorry for typos. On my iPhone.. Very frustrating to try to type long messages on here. Going to try the Q10 on Monday.
Webslinger
Premium Member

Webslinger to Crowbar10

Premium Member

to Crowbar10
said by Crowbar10:

I beleive they do this to avoid theft

No. It's done to save money. The signature option and "do not safe drop" options also avoid theft.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
Right, they do it all the time.. And you pay more for that.

I can do it that way too.. And charge more too otherwise I can tell them to leave it on your porch. And risk theft or whatever..

I.e. it's cheaper for you guys in the end.

So anyway, looking at that form, I hadn't seen it until now either.. Seems like there aren't many options... Attempting once or more I think doesn't change the fact that the big cost difference for them is attempting even once as opposed to not attempting at all.. As soon as they have to attempt.. That's where costs go up I'm guessing.

So if we wanted something different, it seems we would have to either increase shipping across the board or add a second option that's more expensive...
Webslinger
Premium Member

2 edits

Webslinger to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Hum, we've tried a number of different ways of shipping and we landed on this because it was better than other alternatives.

In other words, it's cheaper.
quote:
So, to say this what we are doing now doesn't work most of the time, I think is not accurate.
I never said this.
quote:
The fact that there are so many pickup sites available with Canada post is a big plus.
If the customer has no other choice but to pick up the parcel him or herself, then, sure, Canada Post is the best option.
quote:
The fact is that most times these modems do t fit in your mail of or else they would be delivered right to your home each time.
No, I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. I have much larger parcels than modems that do not fit in my mailbox delivered right to my door from Canada Post on a weekly basis.

The fact is because Teksavvy chooses "Card for Pickup" nothing you ship ever has a chance to be delivered to the door.
quote:
Past that we obviously don't want to have just anybody picking these up.
Right, so there's a signature option--or a "do not safe drop" option. Of these, signature is the safest.
quote:
So then it becomes a question of asking for and spend more on shipping
Okay, sure. Some people, like me, do not care if I have to spend $20 on shipping when I'm injured or coming out of surgery or something else. I'm not talking about the poster here (I don't care about the poster issue that others are complaining about. The poster was nice. Thank you). Will everyone want to pay that much for shipping? Probably not. But some will. I would have. As a consumer I know if I look around hard enough I can find the modems Teksavvy sells for about $20 cheaper anyway. So, I probably don't care too much about shipping costs as much as I care about inconvenience. It's more convenient for me to pay more money to Teksavvy for a cable modem and not have to worry about return shipping costs, dealing with the manufacturer for warranty, etc. So if I have to pay more money to get the modem to my door, then, fine (especially if I'm recovering from an injury or something).
quote:
and having the post office person spend more time getting signatures, attempting multiple times...
Oh, come on, now. No company really cares about that. That's out of your hands, and that's Canada Post's responsibility.
quote:
Would people be willing to pay double for shipping
A lot of people won't. But some will. Options are good things. Give them options.
quote:
Is that something we would want to offer for everybody by default...

Seems like, for the price, it's not a bad option as is and if you are able to receive oversized packages.. It will be delivered right to you..
No, it won't, Marc. The item gets delivered straight to a local post office if you choose "card for pickup". No delivery attempt is ever made in that case. Look, I'm not trying to be belligerent. I'm not trying to pick a fight either.

I'm just saying that when I pay for shipping, I expect items to be delivered to me. And like most Canadians, I don't have a supermailbox. For those that do, then Canada Post for door delivery isn't an option. They would need a courier option.

Options are good things, especially for those with mobility issues. Just sayin'

It would have been nice to have been told, "Oh hey, you'll have to go to a post office to pick up your modem." There is a bit of a surprise/shock factor here. If I ever have to buy another modem from Teksavvy, it would be nice to have it shipped to my door if I'm recovering from an injury or something again. I'll pay more for shipping to my door.

Anyway, as a customer, I'm more concerned about network issues and not having big congestion issues. So, if you have priorities, I'd rather that be your focus.

Doctor9

Doctor9 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

So if we wanted something different, it seems we would have to either increase shipping across the board or add a second option that's more expensive...

Even though literally, and I mean literally, no other company I have done business with does this except yours, you do have another option.

If you really don't want to pay for quality shipping for your customers, (even though I don't believe it costs more) you could have in addition to your regular offering, a $15 or $20 shipping option for people who insist on the package coming to their door. It can't be that hard to add it to the drop down menu online.

Although it is a little insulting in my opinion to pay for a feature that we didn't even know was a "feature", IE an attempted delivery to your home.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Well I suppose you're talking about all TSI customers since you offer one shipping method but personally I always prefer shipments to be left at my door since I'm in an area with virtually no crime and no incidents of theft but I slightly understand what you're saying.

It's just that also even some smaller companies I have seen will offer multiple shipping options but I have no idea of the actual costs to implement such a thing. And normally it seems like if you do enough in volume then there aren't much added costs you're already doing so much shipping.

The thing I'm still trying to find out is that you still haven't given us an idea of your current costs under agreement vs what your costs would be outside of that.
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

So, most people I think would prefer to pick it up when they have the time, than to try to be home when the mail person happens to come by. That's a big advantage. It decouples the mail schedules from yours.

I certainly find this shipping method to be more convenient and more accurate than door-delivery that actually never delivers when it's convenient for me, drops a card for 2 or 3 days in a row before I'm able to go pick it up, not to mention that the package is sometimes not at the post office when the card said it would be, thus sometimes requiring 2 trips to the post office...

However, I can see that this may not be the most convenient option for all your other customers (for instance, those who stay home all day).

Feel free to add extra charge for more convenient delivery options, but please keep this service as an option.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

lleader

^^ +1

Doctor9

1 recommendation

Doctor9 to JeanInNepean

to JeanInNepean
Regular delivery as done by practically every other business in Canada minus Teksavvy - Postman rings doorbell, or if you are in a condo/apartment, he/she buzzes your suite. If a person is at home they get their parcel. If they aren't the postman leaves a card that says pickup will be available at such and such location tomorrow.

Card for pickup - Postman doesn't even attempt delivery and leaves a card that says pickup will be available at such and such location tomorrow.

How is it advantageous exactly by the customer's perspective by and large to choose the second option? Doesn't option 2 kill 2 birds with 1 stone as they say?

The lengths people will go to defend and spin Teksavvy's doctrine is unbelievable. These same people would savagely rip apart Telus, Bell, or Rogers in a heartbeat if they did the exact same thing. But it's Teksavvy, so it's "different", just don't ask why.

lleader
join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

lleader

said by Doctor9:

Regular delivery as done by practically every other business in Canada minus Teksavvy - Postman rings doorbell, or if you are in a condo/apartment, he/she buzzes your suite. If a person is at home they get their parcel. If they aren't the postman leaves a card that says pickup will be available at such and such location tomorrow.

Card for pickup - Postman doesn't even attempt delivery and leaves a card that says pickup will be available at such and such location tomorrow.

How is it advantageous exactly by the customer's perspective by and large to choose the second option?

I choose the second option because I sleep during most of the day and don't want to be disturbed. Also, on occasions when I have had something delivered during the day by the time I get out of bed, get somewhat dressed, and get to the door the truck is vanishing into the distance. They literally don't wait 60 seconds after ringing the bell.

I have tried putting a sign on the door saying 'At home but in bed, ring bell and give me a couple of minutes to get to the door.' This works for couriers, but the postal deliveries don't bother ringing the bell but just leave the card. Can't pickup until tomorrow.

Until this thread I wasn't aware of 'Card for pickup'. If I could I would insist on this method exclusively.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
Yup I hear every one uses a signature down here because its costs less than hold for pickup. But a lot of times the Ups Guy hides it in between my screen door and the door that enters the house.

Doctor9

2 edits

Doctor9 to lleader

to lleader
While I respect your personal wishes and situation, perhaps you could take the batteries out of the doorbell or close the door to the bedroom as to not interfere with the majority of people whom a personal delivery would be beneficial to them being at home, their office, or aware Canada Post's deliver schedule is after work time in their area that they live.

I did say by and large.

Due to knowledge that my personal home usually has a delivery time of around 10-11AM by Canada Post, I had a Teksavvy delivery scheduled to my office to overcome missing the delivery at home. Imagine my surprise when the worker at my office gave me my mail and I saw a card for pickup. The post office near my office was even farther away than my home's local post office.

This is the luxury and convenience of "card for pickup".

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

OMG - horse - cementary - quit ur floggin's all ready - gerrymanderer.
Quite enough of the medicine don't you think huh? Maybe its time you give up hot dates to nurse sick computers instead doc.

Here, have a carrot - and leave the apple cart alone.

Okay then; let's move on to our next caller in the queue.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Doctor9

Premium Member

to Doctor9
said by Doctor9:

How is it advantageous exactly by the customer's perspective by and large to choose the second option? Doesn't option 2 kill 2 birds with 1 stone as they say?

The lengths people will go to defend and spin Teksavvy's doctrine is unbelievable. These same people would savagely rip apart Telus, Bell, or Rogers in a heartbeat if they did the exact same thing. But it's Teksavvy, so it's "different", just don't ask why.

Its a choice. We can attempt to deliver, and we would have to charge more for that. Or we can do it as it is now and charge less for it.

The *cost* is different. So, I'm game to change the delivery method.. And consequently, we would have to charge more also. It is advantageous because it costs less. That is an advantage. I.e. the customer pays less.

I don't see why you or anybody is so upset.. I mean, I'm the one who raised the issue in the first place, for the modems that is.. Being that this has been in place for a few years now and that I hadn't been involved in those decision at that time.. I was as curious as the rest of you why it was the way it was.

I do have to say though, that you don't at all appear to care one way or another why things are the way they are or what or why we are doing things the way we are. Considering that shipping is ten times more expensive than the dollar we charge for paper invoices.. On the one hand you are willing to pay more and on the other you think it's too much. Yet, in both cases you can pay zero if you want to pick the modem or buy your own and for invoices we can send you your bills electronically like the majority of other retailers. Which, that is again a double standard.. You want paper invoices when most don't, but you want shipping like most but we do it slightly different in order to save our customers a few extra bucks and and somehow that's not ok but you are happy to moan about paper invoices.

Even the level of care you are showing here is a double standard.. You expect me to care what you have to say yet you don't care about the circumstances we are faced with.

In short, Its you who is difficult.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

In short, Its you who is difficult.

Nods, I agree with Marc, sometimes we customers go just a smidge too far in being extra special entitled snowflakes - especially the younger set thats been brought up in the atmosphere of overbearing political correctness and over reaching protectiveness.

The middle ground is always going to be the best option.

Compromise.