Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Verizon trying to push users to Wireless

I just had Verizon/DirecTV bundle installed a month ago after getting all fed up with Comcast and their useless customer service. I kept Comcast for Internet but went with Verizon for home phone and Directv service billed through Verizon.

I keep a home phone because I have an alarm system that relied on dial tone and Verizon home phone connect is not compatible with alarm systems.

Now I just got an e-mail today promoting Verizon home phone connect. I like the idea but I would not trust it with an alarm system as the alarm dialer uses Ademco Contact ID, which is less tolerant to noise on the phone line.

I would switch my Internet to home fusion if it weren't for low caps as I am fed up with Comcast.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
I just upgraded my alarm system for $12/mo to a cellular monitoring system and it has the ability to remotely arm/disarm/interact with the panel.

$12/mo more, but I dumped an AT&T landline that costs $32/mo which we never use. So the net result is a more secure alarm system and $20/mo saved.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Alabama

@bellsouth.net
reply to IowaCowboy
Verizo Home Phone Connect will not work with alarm, or computer, or fax. Click on learn more and read about it. It will tell you up front.

Alabama

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to IowaCowboy
BEWARE of the extra taxes that Verizon is going to add on the Verizon Home Phone Connect . . . . . . .

it was like $7.32 a month when I had it, I cancelled after I discovered that.....

Another option would be to get the Straight Talk home Phone Connect and pay a flag $15 a month (of course, you must buy the device for $80 at walmart.)

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to IowaCowboy
None of these wireless solutions work during a power outage of more than a few hours.
I keep a POTS line and a wired phone for 911 and occasional faxes for about $9/mo here in Chicagoland.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
reply to IowaCowboy
Alarms work with digital voice so I'm not sure why they would not work with this. Odd.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable
reply to compuguybna
The Straight Talk home Phone Connect also uses Verizon as well.

I'm currently thinking about this as well.. as $40 /month for landline services and the junk fees / taxes is a bit much. [Only have it because it is bundled w/ At&t U-verse internet service.]

The savings by getting the Straight Talk version for me would be about $25 per month.. it would pay for the device in about 3 months or so. [Would save about $200 per year.. hmmm.]

Of course, I also have a cell phone for emergencies.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by AMDUSER:

Of course, I also have a cell phone for emergencies.

correction you would have two, as the home phone connect is a cell phone

I use one of the Straight Talk ones for a phone line at a cabin.. works pretty well.