Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Re: New Equipment 2013(VIP2500, NVG589, 5031,VAP2500, and more)

Click for full size
Figured I would mention that there's a new Motorola NM55 standalone modem for U-verse that can bond ADSL2+/VDSL2.

Seems like it's only for business though based on it's description.

"NM55
BONDED VDSL2 BUSINESS MODEM
The NM55 Business Modem is optimized for high-speed data applications."

I still wish I could edit my OP.

Equipment that I have seen reports of people getting:
Motorola VAP2500
Motorola NVG589
Pace 5031NV
Pace 5168NV
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

So basically it's a NVG589 without the VOIP and IPTV capabilities?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by doubleohwhat:

I am guessing so. It has a gigabit port.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to doubleohwhat

MVM,

to doubleohwhat
said by doubleohwhat:

There is nothing really special about IPTV and the CPE gateway hardware, unlike the VoIP service that requires the physical RJ-14 port on the back of the router. TV service is just multicast traffic running on the same VDSL connection. If the STBs can plug in to the LAN segment and join multicast groups back to AT&T's IPTV servers, you are good to go. The only possible difference under the covers would be QoS support. This box may not be designed or configured to provide different queueing behavior depending on the traffic type. In that case, they would not want to use this box on an install with TV service.

More than likely that box would only be deployed for Internet only business customers.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by rolande:

said by doubleohwhat:

There is nothing really special about IPTV and the CPE gateway hardware, unlike the VoIP service that requires the physical RJ-14 port on the back of the router. TV service is just multicast traffic running on the same VDSL connection. If the STBs can plug in to the LAN segment and join multicast groups back to AT&T's IPTV servers, you are good to go. The only possible difference under the covers would be QoS support. This box may not be designed or configured to provide different queueing behavior depending on the traffic type. In that case, they would not want to use this box on an install with TV service.

More than likely that box would only be deployed for Internet only business customers.

Too bad they can't sell it for residential customers who are internet only and don't want a gateway. Would be a great idea.
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to rolande

to rolande
said by rolande:

There is nothing really special about IPTV and the CPE gateway hardware

What about HPNA over coax that all of the current gateways that support IPTV have?

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

HPNA is just another network technology over RG-6. It is not a requirement for access to Uverse IPTV services. It is used as a cheap option when an install location only has RG-6 wiring and wireless wont cut it or can't support enough STBs. Odds are probably better than 50% of customer installs do not have CAT5 to each room from a central patch panel. So wireless or RG-6 fill that need. It is probably very wise that AT&T includes the HPNA over RG-6 by default on the RG units they use for TV installs.

I have CAT5e terminated in every room, so most of my STBs use 100Meg Ethernet connected to a dedicated VLAN on my switch with a separate uplink to my 3801. My home network sits behind my router which is connected to another port on the 3801.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Well, that was fast. There's already a 5031NV on Ebay .

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Hmmm, for $65 I'm tempted. If it wasn't for the stupid "1 MAC = 1 IP" restriction I might of considered buying it. Also no gigabit and not bonding capable? I'll wait for a NVG589 to pop up

/M

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by mackey:

Hmmm, for $65 I'm tempted. If it wasn't for the stupid "1 MAC = 1 IP" restriction I might of considered buying it. Also no gigabit and not bonding capable? I'll wait for a NVG589 to pop up
/M

I'm pretty sure the "Cascaded Router" option for Static IP block handoff that has been in the Moto modems (nvg510 and now nvg589) is now appearing in the new firmware versions of the 2Wire/Pace equipment.

The new firmware is rolling out still for the 3600s, 3800s, and i3812s, but the 3801s and the new 5031s should have the new firmware version with Cascaded Router

Also, the NVG589 is a modem rented from AT&T, similar to 3800s, 3801s, and i3812s -- if they are listed for 3rd party sales, they are likely, at best, non-returned equipment from a canceled line - I would not recommend "buying" one from eBay/Craigslist/etc

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

Also no gigabit

I didn't know it was 100 ethernet until you said that. Kind of surprised it is since all the rest of the new ones have gigabit.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

It looks like gigabit ports will only be on the Motorola NVG589 for pair bonded VDSL2, the Pace 5168NV for pair bonded ADSL2+, and the new NM55 business modem for pair bonded business customers.

Looks like no one will be getting gigabit ports unless they are pair bonded or can get one of the aforementioned models another way.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Paralel:

It looks like gigabit ports will only be on the Motorola NVG589 for pair bonded VDSL2, the Pace 5168NV for pair bonded ADSL2+, and the new NM55 business modem for pair bonded business customers.

Looks like no one will be getting gigabit ports unless they are pair bonded or can get one of the aforementioned models another way.

I wonder what TV subscribers will get when they're on single pair. Not sure if they'll keep using the 3801 for many more years or if they'll just move VDSL non pair bonded TV subscribers to the NVG589 when it becomes more widely available.

I envy you Paralel and your NVG589 . You're so lucky to get it. You don't have pair bonding right?
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

2 edits

Paralel

said by Darknessfall:

said by Paralel:

I wonder what TV subscribers will get when they're on single pair. Not sure if they'll keep using the 3801 for many more years or if they'll just move VDSL non pair bonded TV subscribers to the NVG589 when it becomes more widely available.

I envy you Paralel and your NVG589 . You're so lucky to get it. You don't have pair bonding right?

Considering how many 3801's are out there, I have no doubt they will be the default for single pair installations for a long, long time. There are still plenty of 3800's that have been refurbed to within an inch of their life still in circulation.

You are correct, I am currently on a single pair, but I just finished prepping my side of the wiring for pair bonding, so as soon as my area goes green, I'm all set for two pairs. Any work they'll need to do will be strictly from the Ped to the VRAD (probably hardly any work to speak of, my neighbor is all Comcast, so I figure they'll just give me their pair, and then hook it up to a card in the VRAD)

I'm looking forward to hooking in my forthcoming 802.11ac router to it. Running it on 100 Mbit ports would be a travesty.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

My neighbor just got U-verse installed and I can see that they installed a VAP2500.

Default SSID: MotoVAP_XXXXXXXXXXXX

Seems it's listed as 600 Mbps max rate over N

Guess it's either using 4x4 streams or it's using 256-QAM with 3x3.
Darknessfall

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Here's a data sheet for the NVG589 if anyone was interested.

Confirmed: VEN501/ISB7105 will be used along with the VAP2500/VIP2500. Wonder if it'll be based off whether or not your market uses Cisco or Motorola now?
»www.att.com/media/att/20 ··· n501.pdf

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose to rolande

to rolande
I'd be curious to see some pics of this setup.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX

rolande

MVM,

»Re: FTTH Internet speed drop - started last month

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

Durr, totally forgot about that thread.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
Shiny .

Has anyone heard anything/found any new DVRs yet? I've been unsuccessful in finding any .

dopplertrix
@sbcglobal.net

dopplertrix

Anon

Anyone know if the NVG589 has the 1024 NAT session limit that the 3801 had?

Trying to decide between going W.O.W. or ATT 45/6 for my move. U-Verse has been 'ok', but after a LAN party, reached that 1024 limit on the 3801 fast, caused some issues.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
The other day I got one of these VAP2500 boxes along with another receiver since the tech couldn't get the old one to work with the new gateway.. it went into blinky blink mode and wouldn't reset.

I see this thing running wireless N in 5Ghz and it shows up with an SSID of "MotoVAP_xxxxxx...."
Tried connecting to it with my phone using WPS but it wasn't having it.

And.. scouring the net for the login/password for the web interface was of no use.
Anything interesting about this piece of kit?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by TestBoy:

The other day I got one of these VAP2500 boxes along with another receiver since the tech couldn't get the old one to work with the new gateway.. it went into blinky blink mode and wouldn't reset.

I see this thing running wireless N in 5Ghz and it shows up with an SSID of "MotoVAP_xxxxxx...."
Tried connecting to it with my phone using WPS but it wasn't having it.

And.. scouring the net for the login/password for the web interface was of no use.
Anything interesting about this piece of kit?

Wild guess, but have you tried:

User: ATTadmin

Password: 2500!VAP

I don't think it'll work, but guess you can always try :P.

The VAP2500 by default only works with the STBs at the moment and doesn't allow non STBs to connect, at least that's what I believe.

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

Doesn't like that combo... oh well.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by TestBoy:

Doesn't like that combo... oh well.

Hopefully someone figures out what the username/password is soon. Have you tried all of the basics like admin/admin, admin/password, admin/motorola, etc and tried with caps on/off?

The VEN401 AP has the defaults of ATTadmin/401!VEN

TestBoy
Premium Member
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

Yeah I tried those and some other Motorola known default combinations.
Tried stuff like it's mac address as both, etc...
TestBoy

TestBoy to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Introducing.. the innards of the VAP.

»imageshack.us/a/img849/9 ··· ey2h.jpg
»imageshack.us/a/img818/5 ··· 6hb5.jpg

Yes.. my name is mr. blurrycam....
I suck at taking pics.

dopplertrix
@sbcglobal.net

dopplertrix

Anon

Interesting innards. Sill wonder about that nat session limit!

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to dopplertrix

MVM,

to dopplertrix
said by dopplertrix :

Anyone know if the NVG589 has the 1024 NAT session limit that the 3801 had?

That would have been a memory related restriction. The question is how much more memory the 589 has than the 3801. I would bet that it does but don't know how much off hand. I think you can overcome this limitation by running your own router behind it in DMZ+ or IP Passthrough mode anyway.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

rolande's post of NVG589.PDF in other thread: »Re: NVG589 & Chromecast

page 88, image of NAT Table, has line: "Total sessions available 8192". Suppose doesn't necessarily mean that as configured by ATT the limit is still 8192.

page 77, NAT default server: something I'm not familiar with.