join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

4 edits

1 recommendation

New Equipment 2013(VIP2500, NVG589, 5031,VAP2500, and more)

Click for full size
NOTE TO MODS: PLEASE LOCK OR DELETE OTHER EQUIPMENT THREADS OF MINE. THANK YOU. I plan to place everything all in one thread to make it not so all over the place. Changed my mind quickly after I posted about the VAP/VIP2500.

Took me a lot of time to put together and find some of these links...

NVG589 FCC page link is credited to mackey.

Motorola NVG589 VDSL2+ Gateway

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html

»certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_cer···WFA16256

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···Z5NVG589

»www.att.com/media/att/2013/suppo···ment.pdf

-It's 2x2 wireless N with 300 Mbps with no dual band

-VDSL2

-Pair Bonding

-Can do HPNA

-Triple Play Gateway

-Doesn't require an external battery backup

- IP Passthrough

Pace 5031 ADSL2+ Gateway(Pending)?

»www.att.com/support_media/images···5031.pdf

»www.att.com/support_media/images···5031.pdf

Motorola VAP2500 Wireless Access Point

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···-VAP2500

»certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_cer···WFA18369

»www.att.com/support_media/images···01_a.pdf

- 3x3 5 GHz only

Motorola VIP2500 Wireless Receiver

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···-VIP2500 - Credit to mackey
- Can see in VAP2500 AT&T documents.
Can find pictures of these devices in their guide or on the FCC page.
Motorola VIP2502(Either part of U-verse or just a generic version) - Credit to mackey

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···-VIP2502

Some receiver details posted by mackey here:
»Re: New Equipment 2013(VIP2500, NVG589, 5031, and VAP2500)

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

Re: New Equipment 2013(VIP2500, NVG589, 5031, and VAP2500)

Interesting so despite them releasing a new RG they will still need another Wireless AP. That is disappointing.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
said by nephipower:

Interesting so despite them releasing a new RG they will still need another Wireless AP. That is disappointing.

It remember it being planned to be dual band but I guess they changed their minds. Atleast the newer AP is 3x3 compared to the Cisco's 2x2. I wonder if the VIP2500 is also up to 450 Mbps.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall
And we have the VIP2500 and VIP2502. Outputs include HDMI, Component, Composite, analog L/R audio, and digital TOSLINK audio. Wireless is 5 GHz only; the 4 antennas are all internal but not part of the main PCB. There is also a RJ45 network jack and a (front) USB port, and it appears to be OEM'd by Gemtek.

Edit to add: no coax port means no HPNA, only Cat5 or wireless.

/M

Darknessfall
Premium
Thanks, I added that to my post. So any clue what the difference is between the 2500 and the 2502?

mackey
Premium
Looks to be mainly just the case.

The 2500 is boxy and slightly larger, has the AT&T/Uverse logo, a larger (front) power button and a (top) WPS button. It also does not have LEDs on the ethernet port.

The 2502 is much more rounded and slick looking and only has generic 'Motorola' branding.

/M

mackey
Premium

1 recommendation

From the FCC docs:

VIP2500:

VIP2502:

I just noticed, the 2500 does not appear to have a reset button, but the 2502 has both reset and WPS buttons on the back. Both also appear to have a 'Recording' LED...

/M

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to nephipower
said by nephipower:

You do not have to use the A/p for the tv receivers & dvr if you do not want to. It is for flexibility.

The access Point runs on the 5ghz band, so it is above the regular 2.4ghz congested band that all of us deal with.

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Darknessfall

Re: New Equipment 2013(VIP2500/2502, NVG589, 5031, and VAP2500)

Looks like the units are getting smaller in footprint size also. Wonder what is up Ericsson's sleeve with IPTV, now that they own the rights to the MediaRoom platform.

The big one that all is wanting, is for eSata to be enabled on the dvr's, so more drive space can be added, for those that want to save everything that they can.

nephipower

join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX
reply to Darknessfall
Are these just receivers or are they DVRs too?

mackey
Premium
Just receivers, but they can link up to a whole home DVR.

/M

efong

join:2002-05-05
reply to Darknessfall
Any new DVRs?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
There's also a VEN501
»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···9-VEN501

and an ISB7105 but, no clue if these are even going to used with U-verse.

I couldn't find any DVRs but maybe I'm not looking hard enough .

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits
Update 5/10/13:

A Pace 5031NV showed up in U-verse Realtime Stats

»www.att.com/esupport/mobileSuppo···ting.jsp
Lists Devices:
Motorola NVG589
Pace 5031NV
Pace 5168NV

I predict a very messy equipment rollout with a lot of combinations :/.

AT&T website also lists "AT&T U-verse Receiver Manual - Cisco IPN 7500 Series." Not sure if it's an error or not but, it's showing "IPN" and not the "ISB" of the ISB7500.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
My guess is that the Vip2500 is a wireless DVR and the vip 2502 is a wireless stb receiver to replace the cisco wireless?

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to Darknessfall

Re: New Equipment 2013(VIP2500, NVG589, 5031,VAP2500, and more)

Just had a tech visit on Thursday evening and I inquired about the new 45Meg gateway profiles and new pair bonding services and when they are supposed to start rolling out here in the DFW market. He mentioned that AT&T execs have had the service for almost a year now as part of their testbed. He said they have been doing training and it should be fairly soon in the DFW market. He also mentioned that the new RG supporting pair bonding would not be available still for awhile. He didn't give an exact timeframe but generally inferred it was going to be another couple of months, at least.

So, it is likely there will be no official announcements or marketing, until the new RG arrives. That sounds like we'll be waiting until at least July, I guess.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

sepremtech22

@sbcglobal.net
The new 5031 is already being available for use in the south east. And by the appearance it can be used with tvs on ethernet. (If you look at the install guide it shoes that). And its a vdsl modem not an adsl2+. It is the replacement for the 3600 in the southeast. Looks like a smaller 3801. And the nvg589 is already being sent to tech garages for use. I havent seen one yet but they beimg sent out as available and needed. They are omly for use in new installs and cant be used in repairs yet. As far as the pair bonded 45 its in swing as well. Havent seen one yet either

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Darknessfall
Can we expect better max user rates with the NVG589 over a 3801 or would they be the same?

I know when going to from a 3800 to a 3801 there was a decent amount of a difference in the max rate.

SEpremtech22

@sbcglobal.net
okay, heres the thing, The equipment never changes your max user rate. You might notice a difference from one piece of equipment to another, and it will vary in that equipment. the max user rate is determined by distance from the VRAD. After all it is still just DSL, its VDSL, but still DSL. generally the Max user rate comes out of the card between 55m-80m on an "f" card, and betweek 65m-95m on a "K" card. and over distance and the quality of you phone pair coming to your house determines you Max user rate. And any tech can figure out your max user rate by measuring at the side of your house. Then the issue comes into play with how the dsl is run to the rg. If its brought to your rg with cat5 it gives you the best chance at being close to your true max user rate. Running over coax to the rg changed things, the signal then has to go through a balun and possibly even a diplexer, then get to your rg and your rg sees about a 10-15% drop in the max user rate. but lets say that youre running over cat5 to your rg and youre about 2000' from the vrad on a "f"card (because its the most common card in most areas), youre max user rate on a perfect pair at the rg location before you add in the rg should be roughly 45m-60m. then you add in your rg and it can only see as much as how good the equipment is, if its a new 3800 which havent been around in a while youll see somewhere in the upper part of that range, if its a refurbished 3800 you could see anything from great to crap, same is true for the 3801. So the equipment does and doesnt change your max user rate. And finally we can expect the same from the NVG589 until proved differently. Then if its a bonded the same should be true as well

SEpremtech22

@sbcglobal.net
So hopefully that answered your question. The only way to change your max attainable is with how hot it comes out of the card, and they need to develop cards. and as fast as the need is coming out, it takes them twice as long to realize it. There is an "unconfirmed" "N" card coming out supposed to take the max at the VRAD well over 100MBPS. But rumors are rumors. Why are you so interested in your max rate anyway?

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to sepremtech22
said by sepremtech22 :

The new 5031 is already being available for use in the south east. And by the appearance it can be used with tvs on ethernet. (If you look at the install guide it shoes that). And its a vdsl modem not an adsl2+. It is the replacement for the 3600 in the southeast. Looks like a smaller 3801. And the nvg589 is already being sent to tech garages for use. I havent seen one yet but they beimg sent out as available and needed. They are omly for use in new installs and cant be used in repairs yet. As far as the pair bonded 45 its in swing as well. Havent seen one yet either

Thanks for the information. I wish I could edit my post to show VDSL . Where did you see the part about using it with TV? I cannot see it but then again, I'm just skimming.

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL
reply to SEpremtech22
I'm interested because I'm right on the tipping point of being able to get on a 32Mb profile to be able to get 24 Mbps internet.

I went from a 3800 to a 3801 gateway and that took my max rate from about 27/28 to about 31/32 Mbps. Then went from a F card to a K card which took be to about 34.5 Mbps down 7.5 Mbps up. I can't quite get on the 32 Mb profile, I have a friend on the other side of my Apartment building who is about the same distance as me and he has 36 mbps and is was able to get AT&T to put him on the 32 Mb profile.

SEpremtech22

@ameritech.net
reply to Darknessfall
In the "install guide" from pace, it shows connecting it to a set top box. but ive tried and it doesnt work... I guess pace has the theory that itll work but att wont let it

SEpremtech22

@ameritech.net
reply to dlewis23
Youre probably never going to get to a 32m profile, theyve really cracked down on changing profiles. once you get over 2200' they automatically say you cant have it now. Ive tried fighting with them on it, to no avail. i had a customer who was 3400' and had 45m at the house on a k card and they werent eligible.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Here's the Pace 5168NV gateway with U-verse labeling:
»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/V···GR2W5100

SEpremtech22

@ameritech.net
said by Darknessfall:

I dont know where that 5168 is going to be used yet, we havent been introduced to it, in my area were going to be using the NVG589.

gamersglory

join:2012-11-11
Chapel Hill, NC
reply to Darknessfall
Can I please get an upgrade from my 3801HGV? I need 802.11 n and GB Ethernet ports. Some one from AT&T help me out

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to SEpremtech22
said by SEpremtech22 :

said by Darknessfall:

I dont know where that 5168 is going to be used yet, we havent been introduced to it, in my area were going to be using the NVG589.

I have no clue either lol.

SEpremtech22

@ameritech.net
reply to gamersglory
No you cant, and im not being rude here. None of the current Modems have N capability yet. Thers that are just starting to come out that have inbanding, not dual banding, but they are N. If you want N and no one can tell you when the new modems are coming out go out and buy a N router and put your rg in DMZ and work through your router. thats your only solution unless you can be patient

Nick82650

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Darknessfall
I'm new to U-verse, so I'm curious how one would get new equipment. When I was with Comcast, I could just take my old DVR box to the Comcast store and they'd happily exchange it for the latest model whenever a new one was released. Is AT&T the same for receivers and gateways, or would I have to call them and pay to upgrade equipment?