how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jfrench33

join:2013-05-08
Surprise, AZ

[Exede] RV Traveling with Exede

Is it possible to travel with Exede if installed on tripod and would I have to pay each time to have it reset or is possible to set it yourself with the proper tools.

viasatguy
Premium
join:2002-06-11
Carlsbad, CA
No, it is not possible at this time. Only certifed installers are given the code to enable the pointing mode.

There is also the issue that terminals are assigned to a given spot beam and if you move to a new spot beam location with the RV the modem won't recognize the new spot beam and won't come on line.

That said, there are auto-deploy antennas new available for the satellite news gathering community that would work great on an RV. However, the antennas are pricey for the average conumer and service plans are higher too.

OldSatUser

join:2012-05-10
Fresno, OH
reply to jfrench33
While a signal is not always available because of location, I have found it best to have a mobile internet service option available such as offered by Verizon, AT&T, etc.

Because satellite internet involves two way communication, it is not as simply as pointing a dish at a satellite (such as with Directv) to receive a television signal.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to jfrench33
At this time I'm aware of two people moving Exede on a tripod. One is a certified installer. The other moves infrequently and is paying for new pointing at each move. Those appear to be the only options with Exede other than the very expensive ones.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

jfrench33

Surprise, AZ
reply to jfrench33
Thank you for your information, I have been talking with a Exede Rep and he has led me to believe I can do this, of course he forgot to mention the code to re program the beam on satellite. Glad forum is here for information I require. I know that Hughesnet has a Camper RV package unfortunately the cost of internet each month is expensive.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH
Reps say a lot of things to get the sale...

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1
reply to jfrench33
said by jfrench33:

cost of internet each month is expensive.

Just a thought, with 500 RVers pooling together for a three year term, along with maybe some $20,000.00 for installed equipment each RVer, Network Innovation Associates might have a plan for $54.60/month per person, or $27,300.00/month for the group, which would be a dedicated system to your group.

Total Bandwidth: 5 Mbps down, and 1 Mbps up.

»www.niasat.com/satellite-internet-solutions/

Note - Just ask....real money talks, you know

Since ViaSat has gone after the SNG group (broadcasters mainly), I suspect RV market will not be considered for some time....maybe not. Many common folk RVers stay in places where WiFi is available, and many of these folks still count their pennies, so RV sat-internet may be a thing of the past.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

1 edit
said by DrStrangLov:

RV sat-internet may be a thing of the past.

Yep. It may never go away, but it is becoming limited to a small subset of what it once was. When I started using satellite internet in 2002, RV park internet access consisted of a phone jack in the office, rec room, or laundry room where you could use dialup as long as you had either a local number or an 800 number. In large places there was often a queue to access the connection.

On my last trip in my prior bus (August-November, 2012) I traveled some 5000 miles, spending nights in 33 places, all in the West (12 states). While I still had both Hughes and iDirect service I used Hughes one time, and never used the iDirect myself although I did deploy it for a group gathering in Albuquerque to provide WiFi for others. Other than that I used 4G devices and RV Park WiFi throughout.

Based on that and the experience of others, I sold my 1.2 meter and cancelled the Hughes service on the .74-meter when I removed it prior to sale. I left the automatic TV dish on the sold bus.

Now I have the .74-meter re-mounted, but only using it as a DirecTV HD dish, with a SWM LNB used on offset. I can turn on internet service if I ever need it, but it is looking unlikely.

A growing portion of the members left at my DatastormUsers site are, like me, using theirs only for TV. They make great TV dishes!
--

DrStrangLov

said by dbirdman:

but it is becoming limited to a small subset of what it once was.

Exede's coverage is not Continental United States, and SB-2 modem from tech literature I've seen, can not cross over to Wildblue legacy beams, which are across US.

ViaSat's coverage vision, as seen in this map of Exede-5 and Exede-12 beams, dropped short on those Exede-5 beams, last I knew, beam 172 was not active, and there may be others.

But, if there was say a group of 500 or so who had an interest in Exede's coverage area, I suspect if this group was organized in terms of this group doing in-house training relevant to tri-poders/etc, along with their own member only web-site (which actually could be done on WildblueWorld's Forum), ViaSat might consider. But, at some $600.00/year for a 10 Gig monthly bucket, will they pony up?

For RVers who travel the back roads, like graveled Hwy 52 south of Very Large Array in New Mexico, they might have an interest since cell service is only a dream there.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
said by DrStrangLov:

For RVers who travel the back roads, like graveled Hwy 52 south of Very Large Array in New Mexico, they might have an interest since cell service is only a dream there.

That is pretty much the subset I was talking about. Not a chance that there are 500 of them willing to pay for satellite internet service, even if the hardware were free. Those that are willing to do so already are using satellite service anyway. Their current service works, and has no beam limitations. A lot of them head into Mexico during the winter, where their existing service continues to work. Same with those who travel through Canada and into Alaska.

There are too many limitations with spot-beamed service to ever appeal to very many of the hardcore boondockers.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to DrStrangLov
There has always been an interest in higher-level internet among another subset of RVers. These tend to be at the higher-end of RV travel. Expensive rigs, with expensive equipment. Many are employed as contractors in computer-related fields, and want reliable high-speed communications. In the satellite world that has meant big dishes with iDirect service, where the sky is the limit in terms of service as long as you are willing to pay for it.

That subset is shrinking just as rapidly as the others. Today one can get unlimited 4G service at a cost of $5 per gigabyte (note that I'm not talking "free" unlimited) that covers almost all of the heavily traveled portions of the US and coverage is growing rapidly. For someone used to paying hundreds per month for iDirect, $5/GB is peanuts.

I'm talking Verizon, in case that isn't clear. A perusal of RV forums will tell you that user experience says "Verizon, Verizon, and never anything but Verizon" if you travel a lot. Other services may be better in any particular spot, but if you pick 100 spots at random all others will pale in comparison to Verizon.
--

exedeDog

@rr.com
reply to viasatguy
I'm not too entirely sure in regards to the modem key and provisioning. I'm a certified installer and the modem key isn't unique to the customer -- but to the beam itself. If I had the time to actually go through Support Portal and run an address in each beam, I could go compile a list of every modem key for every beam.

I'm not sure back to provisioning if you'll get a mismatch error if you're on the wrong beam on VS-1. (eg the WildBlue error -- "WildBlue provisioning system has detected the satellite you are attempting to provision onto does not match the satellite assigned at the time of order")

I DO know the portable Exede systems that I saw seem to just be a modified Surfbeam 2 modem and possibly most logic being contained in the router that is attached internally (maybe even correlating location to modem key and using a backdoor to push the modem into pointing mode).

DrStrangLov

said by exedeDog :

modem key and provisioning.

SB-2's MAC address, I would suspect is the Control Mechanism. So, it is checked, and if not authorized for that beam...no cigars.

Just another means to prevent do-it-yourselfers from moving outside their beam. Also, they might assign Gateway pathways via MAC address.

Via Exede Lizz - Per our moves process a new 24 month contract is required when services are moved to a different location.

»www.wildblueworld.com/forum/show···ost60088

exedeDog

@slic.com
I would think gateway paths would be via beam assignment.

I'm curious to test several scenarios with a kit:
1: Moving to adjacent beam on same gateway
2: Moving to a distant beam, again, same gateway
3: Moving to a different beam, different gateway
4: Crazy one: Moving to an augmented exede5 beam

I don't think #4 would work if at all, but... all we have is thoughts, nobody testing in theory yet -- I'd love to go on a roadtrip to try it if my day job weren't in the way!

DrStrangLov

said by exedeDog :

I would think gateway paths would be via beam assignment.

If using say Riverside Gateway for Exede-5 users, the first Gateway IP can be all the same....or the same for Exede-12 users funneled thru Phoenix. After first gateway IP, users can be forked on this/that path, as inferred from other WBW conversations....load balancing.

But, if you tried Exede-12 and Exede-5 beams that were in the same AcceleNet Server, say Phoenix AcceleNet Server, you might get lucky. I don't know if Gateway or AcceleNet Server examines your MAC address.

satKat

join:2013-05-25
Gouverneur, NY
I'm going to take a look into this. (I'm exedeDog -- but more fitting to be satKat!)

I know I have detailed log data from my SB2 modem and I do know the Accelenet is activated after successful beam login.

We of course have to note that any SBII system, if properly pointed on the beam, and completes Modem Lock, will place you onto the WB Provisioning Network (and thus actually gets you onto the walled garden online) -- so maybe, just maybe you'll just end up on the Provisioning Network... or it might throw a mismatch.

Also, did you know why beams start in the 300s? Satellite 3, beam XX. So 318 would be Satellite 3 (VS1), Beam 18.

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL
said by satKat:

Also, did you know why beams start in the 300s? Satellite 3, beam XX. So 318 would be Satellite 3 (VS1), Beam 18.

Satellite beam numbers were assigned in this order:

Anik-F2 01-99
WB-1 100-199
AMC-15 200-299
ViaSat-1 300-399

So for the 4 satellites used by ViaSat/Exede/Wildblue services there are no confusion on what beams are used by what satellite....

The 300 range beam numbers are actually Satellite 4...If/when ViaSat-2 is launched (2016) I assume those beam numbers will be 400-->>which will be Satellite 5..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

satKat

Gouverneur, NY
Hrm. Didn't think they'd start out at 0 for the beams. Anyways, I'm off to plug away at making a list of modem keys for the beams

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jfrench33
Let us put this to a rest with an analogy

You sign up for service

WB looks at service address and determines which beam will serve that address and reserves a parking spot for your account at the internet parking lot at the gateway serving your service address

If you move modem to a different beam, even if you put in the modem key for that beam, you won't have a parking spot at the gateway for that beam

birdman suggested it might be possible due to his observations and I am not going to argue (still not buying it but I try to avoid always and nevers) but I will say if his observation was accurate it is probably due to absolutely unique circumstance - due to the alleged installers non-typical relationship/duties with corporate WB
For example, maybe he was doing some testing for the JetBlue inflight internet service beam hopping technologies

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
said by Liberty:

birdman suggested it might be possible due to his observations and I am not going to argue (still not buying it but I try to avoid always and nevers) but I will say if his observation was accurate it is probably due to absolutely unique circumstance - due to the alleged installers non-typical relationship/duties with corporate WB
For example, maybe he was doing some testing for the JetBlue inflight internet service beam hopping technologies

My information is second-hand. Initial posting from one of my members at DatastormUsers:

quote:
i'm sitting along the pacific coast highway, like i have since spring, and a guy drives by and gives me his old hughesnet arm, radio assembly, and power supply. he got set up a couple of years ago like i did with portasat tripod equipment right before they went belly up, doesn't need it anymore because he is now an exede installer, and pays $50 a month for 12 mb/sec service. it's Ka spot beam stuff, but what he says is he got certified as an installer and reinstalls himself wherever he goes - it just takes an email. this is the new wildblue system; 12 mb east of the mississippi and along the west coast, and 5 mb in flyover country...every time you move more than a couple of hundred miles you switch beams. he says certification is $200 for some online courses and a one-day hands-on training. he has the codes for the 4 beams covering the pacific NW down to frisco now, and can move at will without doing anything with his account - just put in the codes when he switches beams.
Then a couple of days later:

quote:
i went by the guy's home base where he is workcamping in a state park on my way south out of oregon this morning, and got some photos of his setup. right now it's a little ungainly because he has a roof mount thing sitting on top of his tripod while he's fabricating a new offset bracket. he'd rather have a whole new bracket than sleeve down the hughes pipe diameter. what i did see is him switching beams (we're in an overlap area) with no trouble. the audio feedback is really neat - some kind of a buzzer mounted inside the radio that you can hear through a sheet metal panel on the bottom of the radio. i also saw repeated speed tests in the mid-7 mbps area. i will post some photos as soon as i get my dish back up - i am on the card now. the modem-generated webpage interface is really slick and you just punch in the codes for the new beam to switch.
Then the pictures:

»www.flickr.com/photos/81571751@N···/detail/

Make of it what you will.
--

jfrench33

Surprise, AZ
i went by the guy's home base where he is workcamping in a state park on my way south out of oregon this morning, and got some photos of his setup. right now it's a little ungainly because he has a roof mount thing sitting on top of his tripod while he's fabricating a new offset bracket. he'd rather have a whole new bracket than sleeve down the hughes pipe diameter. what i did see is him switching beams (we're in an overlap area) with no trouble. the audio feedback is really neat - some kind of a buzzer mounted inside the radio that you can hear through a sheet metal panel on the bottom of the radio. i also saw repeated speed tests in the mid-7 mbps area. i will post some photos as soon as i get my dish back up - i am on the card now. the modem-generated webpage interface is really slick and you just punch in the codes for the new beam

Trying to understand, can the installer share the codes so that people like yourself can travel and use the satellite set up or can you share the person information so that I can get more information on getting a internet satellite without having all the issues

jfrench33

Surprise, AZ
reply to exedeDog
ExedeDog would you please give me a call so I can understand satellite setup 602-618-3482

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to jfrench33
said by jfrench33:

Trying to understand, can the installer share the codes so that people like yourself can travel and use the satellite set up or can you share the person information so that I can get more information on getting a internet satellite without having all the issues

I do not know who this guy is, only the one who reported stopping by to talk to him. Note that part of the process involved sending an e-mail; just entering a code would not get him online.

Note also that his codes did not cover your area.
--

satKat

Gouverneur, NY
The 'code' is just a 'modem key' -- it replaces the WildBlue APA and left/right hand TRIAs alltogether. It configures the TRIA to scan only a set of frequencies as well as configures polarization to that beam.

Interesting note -- Tooway over the pond uses 'beam color' instead to set polarity and frequency settings in lieu of the Modem Key.

I wonder if his 'email' is just to someone that can get him a modem key...

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
Presumably there have to have been some Exede customers who have moved, and some installers here who have setup customers after a move. Perhaps they can tell us what they had to do, since that is what anybody moving would have to do?
--

satKat

Gouverneur, NY
Moves are handled like a new connection. They cancel the old equipment (and require you mail off the modem + TRIA) and set up a 'new' account. It's more of a pain than you think. (Bonus: 24 month contract required... again.)

Reinstall orders are just moving the current equipment on the current property.

DrStrangLov

said by satKat:

Moves are handled like a new connection.

This is true for Exede customers...but for NRTC customers, I'm not sure about policies.

I asked my local Coop, and installer only could say they move within "their beams," but he didn't know about beams outside of their "turf."

Its a free re-install with new cable, but I think they use same equipment...I think.

satKat

Gouverneur, NY
I know AT&T customers are handled like that. You're required to take the TRiA and modem with you but leave the rest of the ODU behind.

sigh Unless we could actually ask the installer that's actually doing his own portable RV we will never know...