Search similar:

uniqs

Cortland
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

When iWatch shows emails and texts, why use the Rolex?

How can one wear a luxury (dumb) watch that justs shows the time, when the iwatch is doing emails, texts, games, weather, alarms, Apps, pictures, etc., etc.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

Well, one wouldn't, would one?

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

It used to be one had a watch collection

Many have collections. Now if you get hooked on iWatch or Peble functionality, its like instead of the iPhone you'd take a walkie talkie for the day.

wmcbrine
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

I never really picked up the watch habit -- nasty things, pinching my wrists. Actually, I did carry a pocket watch for a few years. Then I got a cell phone, and I thought, "Hey, this thing has a clock on it, and even better, it's set automatically from a network time server." And I never carried a watch after that.

AFAICT, a whole generation has since grown up with the same kind of thoughts. I never see watches anymore. So if anything, these new devices might actually bring the watch back, from the near-dead.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

J E F F4 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland

Re: When iWatch shows emails and texts, why use the Rolex?

said by Cortland:

How can one wear a luxury (dumb) watch that justs shows the time, when the iwatch is doing emails, texts, games, weather, alarms, Apps, pictures, etc., etc.

Same reason why people wear "dumb" jewellery. It looks nice.

An iWatch won't "look" nice, nor will it be useful much longer than when Apple comes out with the iWatch 2 and 3.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Boy you are missing it. The point is the iWatch will be a computer. For $ 200. And you can upgrade it like I've upgraded the iPhone with every new model. The iwatch will do 200 Apps while the Rolex at home does 2 things: look pretty and give bad time.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

It's not a piece of jewellery. Not everyone needs a computer on their wrist. It's no different than the early 80's when digital watches came out, at some point, analog watches were almost impossible to find, but within a couple years, the digital watches were gone, this despite the fact they had more functions, including games.

Not saying that an iWatch wouldn't become popular, as it might very well be, but analog watches aren't going to disappear.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Oh J E F F you have joined the "who would ever need more than 640K" and who would need an iPhone?
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Cortland

to Cortland
How many of these threads are you going to start?

I don't want my watch doing that crap, it's distracting and makes you more inefficient if you constantly attend to it. Same reason I turn on DND on my iPad & iPhone when entering meetings (or even turn off wifi).

Will I get an iWatch? It depends. Will it replace my submariner? Hell no. My submariner will be worth MORE in 20-30 years than I paid for it. An iWatch is disposable technology that will be worth practically nothing in a year.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
Lol....no...not yet. I'm still waiting for a PB HD before I make that statement.

Have you ever worn an electronic watch (iPod Nano or digital) and/or a wind-up or self-wind, quartz or electric analog watch of some sort?

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo to Cortland

to Cortland
said by Cortland:

I guess when the rumors of iRing start, a device that fits on the finger and displays rotating images of precious stones, Zircon is default with the option to purchase and download diamonds or ruby images (as well various Kamma Sutra positions), we can start asking why men still propose with a dumb diamond?
I'm not sure if this is a tongue in cheek thread (if so, it went over my head) ...nor why I bothered to reply.
But I did.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
*sigh*

»[Tech] What to do with Rolex when iWatch comes out?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
you do not have to charge the rolex nightly or worry about software updates.

Also who would want to read emails on the tiny screen of a watch when they can just pull out their phone.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to rugby

MVM

to rugby
said by rugby:

Well, they are amusing at least.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
said by Cortland:

How can one wear a watch now when he/she has an iPhone in a pocket?

For almost a decade now, watches have become simple fashion items. They say something about both the style and status of the individual wearing it. Just because a wrist computer comes out doesn't mean that statement will go away.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

1 recommendation

bjf123 to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
said by rugby:

I don't want my watch doing that crap, it's distracting and makes you more inefficient if you constantly attend to it. Same reason I turn on DND on my iPad & iPhone when entering meetings (or even turn off wifi).

Will I get an iWatch? It depends. Will it replace my submariner? Hell no. My submariner will be worth MORE in 20-30 years than I paid for it. An iWatch is disposable technology that will be worth practically nothing in a year.

What he said, with one exception. I can't see me ever getting an iWatch, while he says "it depends". He's right; his Submariner (which is a Rolex in case you don't know), continues to go up in value. An iWatch will be obsolete inside of 18 months as the newer versions are released.

A watch for me is a piece of jewelry, about the only piece guys can wear. At this point, I've got a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, a Breitling Colt, a Heuer 1000, a Tag Heuer Monaco, a Tag Heuer Formula 1, an Ebel Classic Wave, an Oris Williams F1, an Oris TT3, plus an old Timex, and a titanium Citizen. I'm a big fan of Apple products, but why would I want an iWatch? Do I ever pull my iPhone out of my pocket to check the time? Nope. I just look at my wrist.

The Rolex that I paid less than $2,000 for back in the 80s is now worth over $15,000.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

How can you put the iWatch down? You can't, it will chirp!

Do this exercise I did: Put your Rolex on. Note how great it looks. Now put your iWatch on. (Make believe... see beautiful iWatch drawings online Google iWatch). Imagine it beeping, chirping, teasing you to play games, calling alarms. Its time to leave the house. You put your Rolex back on.

Suddenly as you head out the iWatch chirps. Then it beeps. Then it squeeks. You pick it up. You see information. Emails, texts, weather reports. Its gonna pour. Cute, you put it down.

You head out again, with the Rolex, and once again the iWatch chirps.

You get the feeling that you need the iWatch now, as you saw all those by just looking at your wrist.

Suddenly you say oh well and put the iWatch on. You feel like a caveman without it. Also like a nerd as you now have the iWatch and the Rolex on at the same time.

At that moment you realize your old watch collection has been replaced. Like that feeling when you packed up your IBM Selectrics (typewriters with 99% market share in the 70's) and changed them for Word Processors. Like that feeling when you replaced your word processors for computers. Like students felt when they replaced their 5 pound laptops for a 1 pound iPad.

RIP old watches. Collectors items. Never to be used again.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland

I do not see that will be the case. The issue is that Apple will most likely price the iWatch at several hundred dollars. pushing into a market where several hundred can get a respectable time piece.

Despite the privacy issues, I think the next big thing in personal data usage is going to be Augmented Reality. Not an iWatch.

I bet even Apple is planning a competitor to Google... odds are it will be the eyePhone...

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Cortland

MVM

to Cortland

Re: How can you put the iWatch down? You can't, it will chirp!

said by Cortland:

Do this exercise I did: Put your Rolex on. Note how great it looks. Now put your iWatch on. (Make believe... see beautiful iWatch drawings online Google iWatch). Imagine it beeping, chirping, teasing you to play games, calling alarms. Its time to leave the house. You put your Rolex back on.

Suddenly as you head out the iWatch chirps. Then it beeps. Then it squeeks. You pick it up. You see information. Emails, texts, weather reports. Its gonna pour. Cute, you put it down.

You get the feeling that you need the iWatch now, as you saw all those by just looking at your wrist.

Suddenly you say oh well and put the iWatch on. You feel like a caveman without it. Also like a nerd as you now have the iWatch and the Rolex on at the same time.

At that moment you realize your old watch collection has been replaced. Like that feeling when you packed up your IBM Selectrics (typewriters with 99% market share in the 70's) and changed them for Word Processors. Like that feeling when you replaced your word processors for computers. Like students felt when they replaced their 5 pound laptops for a 1 pound iPad.

RIP old watches. Collectors items. Never to be used again.

Is that your impression of Jobs?

Apples (excuse the pun) to oranges comparison. I can see some use for this iWatch you go on about - perhaps when running as I can never see the display on my upper arm too well, etc. But it will never replace my collection of real watches, just like my iPhone hasn't. As others have stated, many wear a watch for reasons other than just telling the time. I don't always wear a watch (yet I have a collection of about 15) but when I do put one on I can tell you now that it won't be an iWatch unless it's for one of those useful times like running. I'd personally feel pretty silly wearing one out to dinner.

If you're trying to evangelize for this iWatch thing I don't think you need to worry - such a thing will probably sell by the cart load just because it's Apple. But replacing real watches? Dream on.

wmcbrine
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to Cortland

to Cortland
said by Cortland:

Like that feeling when you packed up your IBM Selectrics (typewriters with 99% market share in the 70's) and changed them for Word Processors.

I'm now trying to picture typewriters surviving in the computer era, as luxury items. Only the finest craftsmanship behind every keystroke?

Maybe if people could wear them as status symbols...

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
But you see so far watches played nice together because they were so simple.

Wear the Seiko one day, the Rolex the next, the Swiss Army the next, set it in 30 seconds, go out the door.

Computers are deep and personal. You don't take your wife's laptop for the day. She does not take your iPhone for the day. And horrors not to HAVE the iPhone for a day.

Soon the iWatch will become part of your routine, and you'll wonder how you e g a w i !!!

You will have Apps for it, you will check calls and texts with one hand...etc.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

Nezmo

MVM

said by Cortland:

Computers are deep and personal. ...

I really don't think of computers that way. They are a tool. My watches on the other hand are nothing of the sort. Watches to me are personal. Each one has a story behind it and means something to me. If I drop or lose my phone or laptop it's inconvenient, that's about it.

It's apparent you are not understanding the point a few are making here. That or you are just trying to push buttons .
rugby
I think I know it all.
Plainfield, IN

1 recommendation

rugby to Cortland

to Cortland
I just bought a new house with modern appliances and you know what? Everything fucking chirps, or beeps, or dings. I hate it. There's no reason for the dishwasher to incessantly ding when it's done, nor the oven, nor the fridge if the door is open for 15 seconds.

Sometimes being connected isn't a good thing. When I go to the range to shoot, I leave my phone in the car and ignore the world.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Cortland

Premium Member

Secret you don't know

4 years before the iPhone was announced I posted several opinions asking Apple to come up with a phone. At the time I was very happy with my sleek Palm Pilot and my not so sleek wireless modem that piggybacked to it so I could get and send emails and news and limited websites when on the road. Then I had a handsome Motorola Star Tac phone. Later on the Treo was great, by then it was pretty clear Apple might do something.

In the forums I had hundreds of posts making fun of me, laughing themselves into a tizzy about how Apple should never do such a phone. People got mean. Not 1 person defended me.

Posts went on and on about how ridiculous Apple would be if they came up with a phone.

I'm telling you, the iWatch is gonna rock and change many things. And it will sink the watch industry.

The iWatch will be a best seller for Apple.

You heard it here.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland

Next time there's a hurricane in Florida, and earthquake in California, an ice storm in the mid-west, the only people who'll be able to cope and communicate are the ones that held onto their Seiko watches and manual typewriters.

Actually, writers still user manual type-writers. It's very personal. More so than a "personal computer".

Not to say people should move on over back to dumb phones or feature phones, I like my smartphone very, very much. I liked being able to stay connected if I choose to do so.

However, I don't need something on my wrist doing what my smartphone does. My wrist thing has one purpose, and that is to tell time, and perhaps give date as well. It can do that on one battery that should last two years before needing attention. These "smart" watches are good for 10 hours if you use it all. Maybe a week if you're only checking time every so often. No good if you're near water, no good if you want to go on vacation and not take dozens of cables with you. (and we know Apple would have a unique cable for the iWatch)

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

1 edit

Cortland to rugby

Premium Member

to rugby
Being disconnected loses allure when one has children. One wants to be accessible by them for safety.

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

Brendan to Cortland

to Cortland

Sorry, I'd rather have the Rolex...
rugby
I think I know it all.
Plainfield, IN

rugby to Cortland

to Cortland

said by Cortland:

Being disconnected loses allure when one has children. One wants to be accessible by them for safety.

No, I don't. And I have 3 kids.

Nice try. I am connected when I want to be. No more, no less.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Cortland

MVM

to Cortland

Re: Secret you don't know

said by Cortland:

4 years before the iPhone was announced I posted several opinions asking Apple to come up with a phone. At the time I was very happy with my sleek Palm Pilot and my not so sleek wireless modem that piggybacked to it so I could get and send emails and news and limited websites when on the road. Then I had a handsome Motorola Star Tac phone. Later on the Treo was great, by then it was pretty clear Apple might do something.

In the forums I had hundreds of posts making fun of me, laughing themselves into a tizzy about how Apple should never do such a phone. People got mean. Not 1 person defended me.

Posts went on and on about how ridiculous Apple would be if they came up with a phone.

I'm telling you, the iWatch is gonna rock and change many things. And it will sink the watch industry.

The iWatch will be a best seller for Apple.

You heard it here.

You're rather full of yourself aren't you.

The iWatch or whatever it will be called will serve a need, no doubt and yes, it will sell well for all the reasons Apple stuff sells. It will not sink an industry that has nothing to do with fulfilling a nerd or geek desire, ie. the luxury watch. They fill different needs.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium Member
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

1 recommendation

bjf123 to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland

said by Cortland:

You're saying all that like it's a good thing. Sounds to me like you're letting technology control you, instead of you controlling the technology. If my watch is constantly chirping and beeping and squeaking, I'm going to turn the damned thing off.