aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

Mac OS has Unix/Linux code in it?

I have heard/read that on the Mac OS that there is Unix/Linux code in it.

Is that true?

Thank you

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

Mac OSX is based on a BSD version of UNIX.

From Wikipedia:

OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X. NeXTSTEP was the graphical, object-oriented, and UNIX-based operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

1 recommendation

dellsweig

MVM

said by donoreo:

From Wikipedia:

OS X is based upon the Mach kernel. Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in NeXTSTEP, the core of Mac OS X. NeXTSTEP was the graphical, object-oriented, and UNIX-based operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985

Being based on the BSD Unix is one of the reasons security and malware have never been an issue with OSX

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by dellsweig:

said by donoreo:

From Wikipedia:

Being based on the BSD Unix is one of the reasons security and malware have never been an issue with OSX

Mac OS X is UNIX 03 certified:
»www.opengroup.org/openbr ··· egister/

As for malware, there is no reason to change someone's religion.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to aefstoggaflm

MVM

to aefstoggaflm
Mac OS X consists of a core operating system called Darwin as well as a graphical user environment and applications.

The core OS (Darwin) contains a kernel, shell and utilities (command line tools) much of which were derived from *BSD Unix.
Darwin itself is a certified Unix implementation and released as open source under the Apple Public Source License (this means Darwin is definitely full of Unix code ).

I don't believe that there is any Linux code in Darwin if you use the term Linux to strictly refer to the kernel itself. There is however a strong possibility that there is common code in some of the utilities used in Darwin and many Linux distributions (using the more loose definition of Linux to refer to the entire OS). Chances are however that in many cases this common code can be traced back to a *BSD heritage.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 recommendation

dennismurphy to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Mac OS X does not just "contain Unix code" - it IS Unix. Full stop. It's a Unix system, period.

»www.levenez.com/unix/unix.pdf

Just what it derives (BSD, V6, etc.) from depends on how far back you want to go.

wmcbrine
join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

There is however a strong possibility that there is common code in some of the utilities used in Darwin and many Linux distributions (using the more loose definition of Linux to refer to the entire OS).

There's tons of GNU stuff in both, of course.

To me, the command-line environment in OS X has felt increasingly Linux-like over the years.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
Curious, are there any simple programs out there that can run on OS-X and Linux?

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by DarkSithPro:

Curious, are there any simple programs out there that can run on OS-X and Linux?

Binary compatibility is a separate issue, but much software written for Unix platforms will compile and run on OS X as well as Linux.

The same is not always true in reverse (Darwin or Linux specific functionality may not be present on other Unix and Unix-like operating systems).

As long as you consider shell scripts simple programs then it is definitely possible to write programs that will run unchanged on most Unix platforms (including OS-X and Linux).

Goobster
@sherwin.com

Goobster to wmcbrine

Anon

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

To me, the command-line environment in OS X has felt increasingly Linux-like over the years.

To say that a Unix system has become increasingly "linux-like" is hilarious to me. Unix being the chicken that laid the penguin egg.

wmcbrine
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by Goobster :

said by wmcbrine:

To say that a Unix system has become increasingly "linux-like" is hilarious to me. Unix being the chicken that laid the penguin egg.

Spare me the patronizing. I'm well aware of the history. The command line of the average Linux distro has a certain flavor, and that was different from the flavor of earlier versions of OS X. Later versions of OS X have felt progressively more like Linux to me. That's not me being a stupid noob and thinking that Unix is a copy of Linux.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Goobster

MVM

to Goobster
said by Goobster :

To say that a Unix system has become increasingly "linux-like" is hilarious to me.

I understand perfectly where you are coming from but I also remember when Linux started to become seriously popular (for very good reasons) that all of a sudden the traditional Unix vendors bend over backwards to add Linux compatibility to their proprietary platforms.

Think of Linux as one of those examples where the student surpasses its mentor/teacher.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Here is a tech brief you might like:

»www.apple.com/media/us/o ··· 2011.pdf

While not directly related to your question, Mac OS X also contains a lot of open source software as well:

»www.apple.com/opensource/
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

1 recommendation

intok (banned) to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
You didn't know OS X was BSD based? They still maintain Darwin BSD and are a using tons of OSS software. If you have to run OS X you should add the Darwinports Repo to it so that you can get most Linux/BSD software working on it when you need it. Theres even Wine for OS X.

Heres some links that should be interesting for you:
»ssl.apple.com/opensource/
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da ··· _system)

Apple's first foray into Unix was A/UX, they should have never let it die. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX
intok

intok (banned) to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

»www.macports.org/ports.php

The MacPorts Project currently distributes 17010 ports, organized across 86 different categories and available below for viewing.

rexbinary
MOD King
Premium Member
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
·Frontier FiberOp..

rexbinary to intok

Premium Member

to intok
said by intok:

Apple's first foray into Unix was A/UX, they should have never let it die. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX

MkLinux was pretty cool too.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MkLinux
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

I never got around to that one, I first tried YellowDog on my old PPC Macs, and then went to Ubuntu until the community effort died, The one old PPC box I keep going usually runs Debian, only loading Mac OS 9.2.2 or OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.8 for gaming or video editing. Though I can retier it fomr that duty at any time these days with Lightworks ported.

A heavily modified old 2002 Quicksilver G4 Dual 1.8Ghz Apollo8's w/ a vBios flashed 7800GS AGP card and 3 Gb of PC133(almost impossible to find these days, extremely rare in the non server versions even when it was new). It's held back by it's system and 4x AGP bus speeds, but benchmarks show it trading blows with the early Intel iMacs in several benchmarks.

Sucks PPC was killed off in the consumer space, for many tasks it was by far the superior architecture of it's day.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

to aefstoggaflm
Here is something crazy, BlackBerrys new OS, BB10, uses QNX as their OS, QNX is Unix-based.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

dennismurphy to wmcbrine

Premium Member

to wmcbrine
said by wmcbrine:

Spare me the patronizing. I'm well aware of the history. The command line of the average Linux distro has a certain flavor, and that was different from the flavor of earlier versions of OS X. Later versions of OS X have felt progressively more like Linux to me. That's not me being a stupid noob and thinking that Unix is a copy of Linux.

Could that be because the default shell changed from tcsh to bash?

(Which was a welcome change since I could remove):
if (-x /bin/bash) then
  exec /bin/bash
endif

from my .cshrc ... Sure, I could've changed my shell in Netinfo, but this was a lot easier and a behavior I picked up in the Thall Shalt Not Change Root's Shell Away From /sbin/sh On Solaris days :)

wmcbrine
Laurel, MD

wmcbrine

said by dennismurphy:

That was a big part of it, but there were other things, too. More GNU utils showed up...

mxmumtuna
join:2000-08-11
Ashburn, VA

mxmumtuna

said by wmcbrine:

said by dennismurphy:

That was a big part of it, but there were other things, too. More GNU utils showed up...

Not enough, unfortunately. I don't know how to live life without GNU tar, coreutils and findutils.