spc
Search similar:

uniqs

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

[Asus RT-AC66U] - Dyndns not updated frequently

Using the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.354 on the Asus RT-AC66U. The router's uptime is 34 days.

Today I received an email from www.dyndns.org stating my name was going to expire soon due to a lack of updates. Checking the dyndns web portal, the name was last updated April 4th.

When in the WAN -> DDNS section and clicking on Apply (to see if it will force an update), the following message is displayed: IP address & hostname have not changed since the last update..

Yes, I know I can manually refresh the info on dyndns.org, but that defeats the purpose of having the router configured with it!
gmaddry
join:2013-06-09
Raleigh, NC

1 edit

gmaddry

Did you get a solution to this problem? I have the same issue and so far I haven't found a solution.

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Logged the issue with Asus tech support same day as this thread. Sent in router system logs, etc. Was told to check back, "about in a month" to see if there was a new firmware released with this issue called out in the release notes. It hasn't yet.
ajohnson9
join:2013-06-28
Greenwood, IN

ajohnson9 to USR56K

to USR56K
I'm having the same issue. Same firmware version. Have not tried an older version to see if that might fix it, but I'm not even sure you can go to an older version with this router...I've only had it a few months and haven't done much with it. When I save the config in the UI, I can see the update entries in the routers logfile, so I know it's successfully logging in when it's set up. I'm not sure if it ever does a successful update after that. I suspect not. Just checked, still no updated firmware.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K
If I remember correctly it won't matter any more if your router updates the DYN address. DynDns now requires (I believe) that you log in every 30 days if you are using the free account. No longer will an update reset the timer. And DynDns no longer offers free hostnames at all, anyone who has one is grandfathered but there are no new ones.
ajohnson9
join:2013-06-28
Greenwood, IN

ajohnson9

Looks like my issue has nothing to do with the router, but is my ISP...Comcast. Apparently Comcast intercepts these updates and responds back to DynDNS with an incorrect value. I have to figure out an alternative way to keep up with the IP Address changes I guess.

I just moved to this area and just got Comcast as my provider...so I'm seeing some of their nice restrictions that they have on their service now...

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

As far as I know the DynDNS updates are http requests. I don't know how Comcast could mess that up. Do you have more details?

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to ctgreybeard

to ctgreybeard
Right you are ctgreaybeard.

Myself and a couple of other friends were using the free service for our home routers of assorted brands/models and ran into the same problem. The routers all were reporting the address had been updated about two or three days prior to receiving the email messages.

Checking on a couple of router forums it seems that dyndns had changed their free account policy and now sends out the account cancellation letters if you do not MANUALLY log into your user account at least every 30 days. This happens even if your router is correctly configured and has been automatically sending the update requests properly.

They are using this as a way of advertising/pushing users to purchase their paid service rather than continue to use their free service.

Router manufacturers and 3rd party firmware people like DD-WRT are getting tired of the bum rap about their router not updating properly when it is the change in dyndns's procedures that are causing these account cancellation letters.

To repeat, people are still free to use the free dyndns service but now they must manually log into their account at least every 30 days or the account goes away even if your router is properly configured and working.