TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

4 edits

Update - Rent-to-own and MyWorld changes - May 9th, 2013

Hey gang,

The team has been hard at work drawing up our first attempt at Rent-to-own we believe we've got most of the kinks ironed out. There are a number of factors we had to consider throughout in order to make it all happen. I'm sure I will hear the feedback as some of you make use of that option.

So as of now a rent-to-own option is available for the Sagemcom VDSL modem needed for 15/10, 25/10 and 50/10 speeds. This option is available as well as a purchase option when you order those speeds.

We have also updated MyWorld to allow you to make changes to your existing service. We can now take all speed and usage change requests via MyWorld. We are hoping that we can drive more users to those online tools as we continue to hire additional staff to manage the increase in demand.

EDIT: so, it looks like the gang deployed a bit early on the $20 change fee. But that's ok. We can roll with it... Given everything that has happened on the DSL side of things over the last year I wanted to make sure that existing users had a bit of a leg up. This is entirely a TekSavvy specific thing where we are eating the difference. I figured that it was one area where it would be a meaningful gesture to show that I appreciated the support in particular from our DSL users. So the promo is basically that all changes are $20. So that's a $30 savings if you're upgrading to a different technology.. And $5 if its a speed change within the same technology. As we see how well this works we may expand this, however for now it is only available via MyWorld for existing users. Part of the reason for that is that we really can't handle more calls right now... We are training additional staff but it will be a couple weeks still before they are online.

I hope that helps some out who were looking for an extra reason to upgrade.. Or even an additional reason to stick with us if you were planning on moving for whatever reason.

--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Actors or factors?

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to TSI Marc
50/0 ? Seems a tad slow

GTAmissions1

join:2013-03-18
reply to TSI Marc
You may also want to correct the 50/0 speeds. It is actually 50/10.

Also, any progress about modem buyouts for current rentals?

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to TSI Marc
As per new portal:

- for cable - $5 to change speed:

1. If you are changing speeds, there will be a $5 one-time charge for the speed change. Please allow 15 business days for changes to take effect.

2. If you are changing bandwidth caps but keeping your speed, please allow 5 business days for changes to take effect.

- for DSL - $20 to change speed:

1. There is a $20 fee for speed changes, and a technician may need to come to your home. See below for the change scenarios where a technician may be required.

2. Usage changes are $0.

No more $25 and $50 speed changes fee for DSL?

kabes

join:2010-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc
15 business days to change speed? Is that how long it actually takes or just a worst case scenario?

Looking forward to k-w upgrade in June.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

Actors or factors?

Actors they looking for someone to play Rocky in TSI movie.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to kabes
said by kabes:

15 business days to change speed? Is that how long it actually takes or just a worst case scenario?

Looking forward to k-w upgrade in June.

Probably worst case scenario. Due to the poi conversion to apoi, things get backlogged with several hundred (or thousand) requests going in on the same day or within 2 or 3 days following the conversion.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

theboyk

join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc
So, what do I need to do to purchase or rent-to-own the Sagemcom F@ST 2864 if I'm already renting it from TSI? Can I do this through the web, or do I have to call in? Are there any discounts for those of us who've already been renting (as there was no other option but to rent)?

Also—I've been waiting until I could own the modem before moving from 15/10 to 25/10. Am I reading it right that it's a $20 speed change fee as well as a "technician" required?

I'm cool with the $20 fee (not really, but whatever), but I'm not even remotely ready to experience a technician being required. The last 5 times I've dealt with TSI for any sort of speed change or whatever, a "technician was required". And never once has a technician ever showed up. The last time, I ended up stating home for two days and it wasn't until the third day I was told a technician wasn't required (and the time before that, they never showed, but eventually just dropped the whole-house DSL filter in my mailbox and I had to install it myself).

So, I'll pay the $20 to a speed change, but if a technician is required, I'll stick with the 10/15 line.

Thanks,
Kristin.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
For those currently renting, we are still working on the buyout plan.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

SimplePanda
Go Habs Go
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TSI Marc:

Good to hear. Any chance there will be any retroactive credit for those of us who have been renting VDSL2 modems for 18 months or so?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
Well at least now maybe it will be easier to get more of my family to switch over from an incumbent to TSI.

(Had one friend switch over though on DSL, been a week in hell for him :\, I've been cursed at a lot lol).

Maybe after everything's settled later in the year after the ATPIA migration, take another look at renting modems Marc? Right now is probably not the time since you're all busy, but I don't think it's evil a sin as you think it is.

Edit: Read the post again, rent-to-own isn't an option yet on cable modems Marc?

GTAmissions1

join:2013-03-18
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Thanks for the response Marc. I don't want to keep renting the modem longer than I have to. Looking forward to buying out my equipment.

Montreal DSL

join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc
Hi Marc,

Can you please confirm if the speed change fee for cable is $5 AND that the speed change fee is now $20 for DSL and not $25 or $50 as previously mentioned by Andre?

Edit: I just see your edit confirming it ...

We'll update our website as well (when available at large, not only via MyWorld)

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to MFido
said by MFido:

As per new portal:

- for cable - $5 to change speed:

1. If you are changing speeds, there will be a $5 one-time charge for the speed change. Please allow 15 business days for changes to take effect.

2. If you are changing bandwidth caps but keeping your speed, please allow 5 business days for changes to take effect.

Uh.. First Teksavvy said there's a $5 fee. Then the fee got removed. Now it's back?

TypeS

join:2012-12-17
London, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
You should sharpen your reading and memory retention a bit there.

TSI never said the $5 fee was gone, its being waived one-time on TPIA to ATPIA package changes. If you go read the tarrif documents, its a fee there authorized by the CRTC just like activations & technician visits.

If someone wants to change their speed again after switching to an ATPIA package, that's a $5 fee.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Please don't forget those of us who already have a working modem other than a Cellpipe or Sagemcom that *DO NOT WANT* to pay more money for the bell crap.

I just want to return the Cellpipe back to Bell and drop the rental fee.

I have paid more than $125 renting the Cellpipe over the past 14 months and I sure as hell am not paying another dime to buy it out and not en up using it.
--

s0dhi

join:2011-08-02
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

Please don't forget those of us who already have a working modem other than a Cellpipe or Sagemcom that *DO NOT WANT* to pay more money for the bell crap.

I have paid more than $125 renting the Cellpipe over the past 14 months and I sure as hell am not paying another dime to buy it out and not en up using it.

+1

I'm in the same boat and in full agreement.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by s0dhi:

said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

+1

The entire rental fee for the modem went straight to Bell. The modems still belong to Bell. Bell isn't about to just 'give' your modem over to you without paying for it, despite the fact you've probably almost paid for it in rental fees.
--

s0dhi

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by resa1983:

The entire rental fee for the modem went straight to Bell. The modems still belong to Bell. Bell isn't about to just 'give' your modem over to you without paying for it, despite the fact you've probably almost paid for it in rental fees.

I don't think you understand. I am using my own ZyXEL modem.

I have the Bell modem sitting in a box. They can have their modem back whenever they want - I'll even pay shipping to return it.

I don't want to continue to pay rental fees for a sub-standard device that's been sitting in a box since Jan 2012.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
said by s0dhi:

said by resa1983:

I don't think you understand. I am using my own ZyXEL modem.

I have the Bell modem sitting in a box. They can have their modem back whenever they want - I'll even pay shipping to return it.

I don't want to continue to pay rental fees for a sub-standard device that's been sitting in a box since Jan 2012.

Gotcha.

Well, there's a modem process ongoing right now with the CRTC, which'll determine whether or no you'll be able to use other modems, without paying for the Sagemcom.
--

s0dhi

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by resa1983:

Gotcha.

Well, there's a modem process ongoing right now with the CRTC, which'll determine whether or no you'll be able to use other modems, without paying for the Sagemcom.

On a related note, I would buy a Sagemcom from Bell providing a generic, working, firmware for the device (with a proper bridge mode) is available.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to s0dhi
said by s0dhi:

said by HiVolt:

said by TSI Marc:

+1

+1

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

So as of now a rent-to-own option is available for the Sagemcom VDSL modem needed for 15/10, 25/10 and 50/10 speeds.

Rent to own but do we control what we own or does Bhell still have the ability to force updates?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to s0dhi
said by s0dhi:

said by resa1983:

Gotcha.

On a related note, I would buy a Sagemcom from Bell providing a generic, working, firmware for the device (with a proper bridge mode) is available.

Same here. If they ever get their shit straight and release a proper, non butchered firmware that works as a proper bridge modem providing full speeds, without any sync no surf issues.

The Sagemcom hardware is not the problem. Its Bell's custom butchered firmware that's the issue.
--

lleader

join:2011-01-01
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Marc
All the talk nowadays is about the Sagemcom. Not all of it good. I have been renting a Cellpipe for 17 months, and for me it is working well. I'm at 25/7 (can't have 25/10 because of distance) and that's fine by me. I'd gladly buy it out to stop the rental fee, and consider buying another modem (NOT the Sagemcom) when/if one ever turns up. Perhaps the reason I am satisfied with the Cellpipe is I run it routed (not bridge mode) and with the wireless off (don't need it).

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits
You would gladly buy a modem that is crippled by its firmware and includes wifi you dont want or need?
Being forced to buy these crippled multifunction wifi/modem/router is bs.

We used to buy ST516's on ADSL and be on our merry way.
Modem issues were then all put on the end user.
Why is this so difficult for Bell to give us?

I dont want to pay $8/month for a modem sitting in the corner collecting dust.
Nothing forbids me from using my own modem now, and I've already found one that works.
I will gladly take the risk that if my modem stops working I will have to be "tech savvy" enough to find out why.

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to the cerberus
+1

simsin0

join:2008-01-06
reply to TSI Marc
Thanks Marc for the constant updates! I really appreciate this touch, as do many others I am sure!

Now to wait for the CRTC to approve a BYOM and ill change to 50/10!

s0dhi

Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

You would gladly buy a modem that is crippled by its firmware and includes wifi you dont want or need?
Being forced to buy these crippled multifunction wifi/modem/router is bs.

If you're referring to my comments, I never said "gladly".