spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cwelles

join:2002-10-30
New York, NY

[Anveo] Any way to disable Music on Hold?

I've just started using Anveo, and am mostly happy with them. Their website is definitely on the more confusing end of the spectrum, but I can deal with that.

The showstopper that I've just run into is the Music on Hold feature. Per their chat tech support, there's no way to disable this, and it's apparently "by design". Is that really the case? It seems hard to believe. I know a lot of people want hold music, but it's really something that doesn't work for me.

Actually, I can disable it by uploading a blank recording and selecting that for Music on Hold. This has the unfortunate side effect of disabling the "ringing" sound people here before I pick up the phone. That really doesn't work for me either. Any suggestions before I give up and move on to a different provider would be appreciated. Thanks.

jhouston21

join:2004-12-17
Hampton, NH
How about recording a music on hold recording that contains a ring-back tone?

cwelles

New York, NY
Then the caller hears a ring-back-tone whenever you put them on hold. They use the same configuration setting for both ring-back and hold music. Apparently no way to separate them.

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17
reply to cwelles
said by cwelles:

I know a lot of people want hold music, but it's really something that doesn't work for me.

When you say it doesn't work for you, what exactly do you mean? How does it affect you or your callers? I'm trying to see what the issue is and if it should be something I too should be concern about.

cwelles

New York, NY
I'm on conference calls a lot. Everyone suddenly hearing hold music when I answer another line or transfer to another extension would be a big problem.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
I use the legacy SIP control. On the Advanced tab is a check box for Enable Music On Hold. It doesn't matter whether it is checked or not a caller hears music on hold. Sounds like a bug to me.
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

cwelles

New York, NY
It works the same way with the new SIP control. The person I dealt with in support insisted that this was by design. I thought I had a good solution by just putting a silent "Music on Hold" file up there, but it turns out that setting is used for the ring back tone as well. Apparently there no way to specify records for ring back and hold music.

cybersaga

join:2011-12-19
Welland, ON
Click for full size
Can't you uncheck it? This is what I see. I have it unchecked, and I just tested a few minutes ago and there is no on hold music.

grand total

Mississauga
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
said by cybersaga:

Can't you uncheck it? This is what I see. I have it unchecked, and I just tested a few minutes ago and there is no on hold music.

Mine is unchecked, I still have hold music. This used to work, but it doesn't now.
--
DPC3825 (bridge mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 1.8.10.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.ms - Localphone - UKDDI

cybersaga

Welland, ON
I'm not sure what makes my situation different then......

In the Inbox, do you have anything in the 'Music on Hold' folder? I don't. I can't remember if there was something there by default and I just deleted it.

grand total

Mississauga
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
said by cybersaga:

I'm not sure what makes my situation different then......

In the Inbox, do you have anything in the 'Music on Hold' folder? I don't. I can't remember if there was something there by default and I just deleted it.

My Music On Hold folder is empty. At one time I uploaded a file, but I have since deleted.
--

cybersaga

Welland, ON
I think I see what's happening. If I just put a call on hold, I just hear silence. However, if I hit 'flash' to make another call, or take another call, I hear the on hold music.

Kind of creepy music too.

anveo
Premium
join:2010-02-08
kudos:3
reply to grand total
said by grand total:

I use the legacy SIP control....

The difference is that grand total uses outdated 'Legacy SIP' control while cybersaga uses new 'SIP Phone' control.

'Legacy SIP' control is deprecated and no longer supported.

cybersaga

Welland, ON
said by anveo:

The difference is that grand total uses outdated 'Legacy SIP' control while cybersaga uses new 'SIP Phone' control.

But.... the new SIP control doesn't seem to change anything here. There is still on hold music even when the checkbox is unchecked (when using call waiting that is, not when strictly putting someone on hold), and changing the on hold music also changes the ring the callers hear before you pick up the phone.

grand total

Mississauga
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Anveo
reply to anveo
said by anveo:

said by grand total:

I use the legacy SIP control....

I have just duplicated my call flow with a SIP Phone control replacing the legacy control. I still have music on hold even though the Enable Music On Hold check box is not checked.
--

anveo
Premium
join:2010-02-08
kudos:3
Thanks to cwelles for reporting the issue and to grand total and cybersaga for confirming it. It is something to look into for our engineers...

cybersaga

Welland, ON
said by anveo:

It is something to look into for our engineers...

Awesome, thanks!

cwelles

New York, NY
reply to anveo
Excellent! Thank you.

cwelles

New York, NY
reply to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

I think I see what's happening. If I just put a call on hold, I just hear silence. However, if I hit 'flash' to make another call, or take another call, I hear the on hold music.

Kind of creepy music too.

Just to clarify on the "Hold" button causing music. When I use "Hold" with a legacy phone using a Linksys SAP3102 ATA, it's the same effect you're seeing and don't hear the hold music unless I flash or something similar.

However, when I use "Hold" with SIP based phones, I get the music immediately. I've tried this with both a Cisco SPA302 and a Panasonic KX-TGP500.