how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dondude

join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL
reply to billaustin

Re: How long it takes to increase speed?

Yes old embarq/sprint area. Thought it said up to 10mb. Would they cap it because I can't reach 10mb? My modem says
DSL Speed (Down/Up): 5824/576 Kbits/sec. Will modem retrain constantly if they took 5mb filter off?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

The ADSL modems usually negotiate the best speed possible when powered on (up to the limit specified), and then maintain that speed until power-cycled or until line conditions cause a drop and re-sync.

You could have line issues preventing you from getting a higher speed. Try testing at the NID and see what speed it syncs at. Check the stats and see what your attenuation and SNR numbers are like (at the modem jack, and at the NID).

They may have fixed your speed at that level based on your distance from the DSLAM. It could be that they set your speed lower because they don't have the capacity to provide you a 10mb connection. It's also possible that they just screwed up the order.

You could try your luck with phone support, or send an email with all the details and your account and contact info to talktous@centurylink.com and ask them to look into it.

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

5824 is 5.6mb than subtract 12% overhead it comes to 5mb? Sounds like I'm set to 5mb. It's fine with me, went from 3mb and it feels a lot faster especially with the ping being so much lower.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:3

It's very possible that they set you for 10mb, but the line conditions are keeping you synced at a lower rate. It was common for them to disable interleave on 10mb connections, which lowers ping times quite a bit.

I would still check the line stats, at the modem jack and at the NID. If there is a significant difference between locations, you should be able to clean up the wiring and improve the sync rate.

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

2 edits

CenturyLink™ High-Speed Internet

Congratulations! You already have the fastest speed available in your area.
Your current Internet service is: CenturyLink™ High-Speed Internet - 6.0

Thank you for your business.

Our records show that you already have the fastest speed available in your area.

CenturyLink's fiber-optic service will be expanded to selected areas throughout the year. Want to be notified via email when faster speeds are available in your area?

My account shows I'm set to 6mb.

[att=3]

GrandMstrBud

join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA

I just upgraded to 40 from 5 online. They said it would take up to 3 business days. I rebooted the modem and now I'm at 7mb down. Do they have to go out to the CO to do anything?

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Crusty

Still working great even in prime time.

GrandMstrBud

join:2005-05-25
Davenport, IA
reply to dondude

Waiting for this seems worse than waiting for it to become available. Come on Wednesday at 5

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL
reply to GrandMstrBud

From what others have posted they do need to adjust things at the CO. Not sure about 40mb service but for my service they did.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to GrandMstrBud

If your 5 Mbps connection was on Adsl2, then you they would need to switch your line to Vdsl2. I originally went from 3 to 12 & it took the same amount of days. 2 weeks later when I switched from 12 to 20, it was changed within a day or so (was told it was going to take 24 - 36 hrs, but they switched it sooner)

said by GrandMstrBud:

I just upgraded to 40 from 5 online. They said it would take up to 3 business days. I rebooted the modem and now I'm at 7mb down. Do they have to go out to the CO to do anything?

OOMJR

join:2011-02-09
Avilla, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to dondude

Having 5824 for your down sync doesn't give you much of a 6Mbit down connection. They should of given you some head room so you could actually hit 6Mbit down. Like a sync of example 6400. You can't get 6 down with a 5824 sync.

Just my 2 cents. If you happy with it, then I'm happy for you.

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

3 edits

DSL Speed (Down/Up): 6208/576 Kbits/sec

It's been at this setting since I rebooted on friday evening. Maybe I should try another reboot? Would sync increase by itself if left alone?
I also noticed new dslam 3400 feet from my house. Wonder if I have any chance getting my line switched to closer dslam. My line turns north approx 100 feet east of new dslam. My dslam is 5000 feet west from new dslam.

Did a search on centurylink website and house 100 feet from new dslam still shows 3mb max speed available. Power is connected to new dslam maybe it's not activated yet?

Centurylink is also installing fiber along main road (3 miles from my house. CO is located there.)hope that means extra capacity and faster speeds coming.

OOMJR

Avilla, IN
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to dondude

Yeah sounds like their expanding and in the future will offer fiber but don't think that will happen fast.

Usually you want to leave your modem on for a couple days speeds at the CO will adjust the sync rate to what your like can handle within your speed limit via noise and attenuation. I would leave it on and see what happens. If nothing changes reboot it and see if it keeps the 6208/576. if so that's probably what it will be set at for the future.

As for the other DSLAM location, the only way to get info on that would probably be through a local techs #, or a local store(maybe). If you see someone at the box just stop by and ask about it. Most the time the techs are nice and will explain things.

If there running fiber there probably installing gigE connections to the CO's. Not sure how many racks they will have for each CO but increased speeds are very possible, even more since you'll be closer to that other location...

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

1 edit
reply to dondude

I went online last week to change my speed from 20/0.8Mb to 20/5Mb when I found that 5Mb was available and it didn't cost any more. They said it would be done on the 22nd but I found that it's working at the higher speed today, the 20th and I didn't have to reset the modem or anything. Now I'm getting 18.8/4.50 according to speedtest dot net. Woo Hoo!

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Still going strong here as well. I can only hope we'll eventually get to your speeds. Lol

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

5.57Mb isn't really that bad. 1.5Mb is all you can get in lots of areas around here and that's what I signed up for at first since nothing else was available but they could never get that to work reliably because the loop length was over 10,000'. It wasn't until the new fiber network was put in that I could get faster speeds. Now I can get speeds of 6- 22Mb on my phone though!

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

They are installing fiber right now down the main road. Will they use that to feed the remotes higher speed? Or does fiber need to be ran to my house?

OOMJR

Avilla, IN
reply to dondude

I know they can run bonded phone lines, not sure on if they run fiber to house.. Maybe someone else can ring in and answer that.

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

Finally hit 6mb.
Plus we have torrential rain right now.

nettech208

join:2013-05-21
Kuna, ID
reply to dondude

Not sure where you are at but I'm pretty sure they are running fiber to the R/T. There is some FTTH going in but if you neighborhood is already established it's a good bet it's going the the remote.

ArizonaSteve

Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US
reply to dondude

No, they don't run fiber to your house. That would be very expensive. Here they ran the fiber down the main street with little boxes along it every block to connect the homes to. They still ran a regular phone line down the alley from my house to the box since they are a Phone Co. They were able to connect everyone up and down my block to the fiber over phone lines but I think everyone another block away is out of luck since the high speed ADSL2 will only go a couple thousand feet at most. They probably have the same setup in your area too where you have to be within a block or so of the fiber network in order to get it.

dondude

Lehigh Acres, FL

They are marking the utilities down the street. Not sure if it's for centurylink or the gas co. Will have to wait and see who it is. Just hope they run the fiber close enough to my house. 2800 feet and 3400 feet from closest remote terminals.

nettech208

join:2013-05-21
Kuna, ID

The 3400' mark should still get you 896/20. Any further will probably knock you down to a 12 meg but there are lots of different things that come into play. Gauge of the cable being the biggest. Hope the locates are for CTL and they are bringing fiber into you area.