poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

router question

we just got 50/15 service and with our older router I can only get around 24/8, directly connected to the modem I get more advertised speeds.
This is my router
»www.amazon.com/TRENDnet- ··· 00BI1XNE

Should I consider upgrading my router maybe? Could the router even be the problem?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

You would need to upgrade your router and wireless card(s) to "N" class devices, preferably in the 5 GHz band and not the 2.4 GHz band.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to poppster

to poppster
I second what aguen said about wireless speeds. Additionally, your router likely doesn't have the processing power to push packets between WAN and LAN at anywhere near 50 Mbps.

For 65 Mbps throughput, look for a router with at least a 500 MHz CPU, and/or NAT acceleration.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Asus N65U comes to mind there clarke.
Its the follow on to the capable N56U.

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

1 edit

poppster to clarknova

Premium Member

to clarknova
its not a very "good" router, but it's served it's purpose for the years I've had it. I just made a quick trip to walmart and they had a belkin 5ghz router for 40 bucks, wireless N300. I almost got it, but I didnt want to jump the gun quite yet. I really appreciate the replies so far!

what about this router
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 3320088R

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

Asus N65U

This would work...

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

direct connection

router

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

It's your router. You need one with more horsepower. The one you linked would work fine, but I am wary of open-box items. You can get a new one for the same price (after a $10 rebate) with free shipping (which actually makes it less than the open-box item).

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

said by billaustin:

It's your router. You need one with more horsepower. The one you linked would work fine, but I am wary of open-box items. You can get a new one for the same price (after a $10 rebate) with free shipping (which actually makes it less than the open-box item).

shoot me a link

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

»www.amazon.com/Asus-Wire ··· s=rt-n53

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33320088

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to poppster

to poppster
I have no experience with that one but I would think it would be up to snuff.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to poppster

MVM

to poppster
Start at smallnetbuilder.com, specifically their router charts. Generally speaking,
the $50 price bin MAY get you something that can push 50Mbps speeds, but I wouldn't
put money on that.

Hitting the 50Mbps speedmark over WIRELESS is alittle more difficult proposition
and may necessitate all wireless equipment being upgraded to N standards.

My 00000010bits

Regards

poppster
Premium Member
Midwest

poppster

Premium Member

I've got several wireless N usb adapters that I can use, that will hopefully work. I hate to use a wireless card on a laptop that has wireless built in (not "n"), but if it helps to achieve what I'm paying for, then the more the better!

Thanks for the reply HELLFIRE See Profile
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to poppster

to poppster
I was able to push a full 55 Mbps over a WNR3500L in 40 mhz mode so there's probably even a few cheap routers that can do it.

The choices recommended look good, and if you can afford a little more I'd look at an RT-N66U or even the RT-AC66U. Those are two very good models. I like getting a little more then I think I need because I usually end up needing it hahaha.