Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

lead acid battery

Possible to ship a lead acid battery? The battery is the size of a credit card. 6v 800 mHA lead acid battery. The battery is about
26 years old. No signs of leakage.

It's a international shipment

It's a vintage "still video" camera from the late 80s

Buyer does want the battery since it's imposable to find a replacement. The collector wants a complete item.

Money is not a issue since the buyer wants it.

--
Live Free or Die Hard...

santyatwork

@comcastbusiness.net
You would have to check with FedEx or UPS to see if it's possible and what is involved. Domesticly I think you can ship via FedEx, but it is considered Hazardous Materials for ground shipping and Dangerous Goods if going express saver/2nd day/overnight. Has to be packaged a certain way and have certain markings on the box, plus special paperwork. Also means extra cost involved to ship.

More than that I can only suggest that if you can't find answers on their related websites, that you go to one of their offices/pickup buildings and ask.

hurfy
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Spokane, WA
reply to Anonymous_
I wouldn't have opened it and just shipped a camera. Probably a royal pain to ship internationally if at all. Domestic would have been ok

I had to 'replace' some batteries for some vintage camera gear too. One was some odd voltage mercury battery, takes about $30 worth of button cells to build a replacement. One of my pieces from the 50's-60's had the original batteries in the flash, just a couple of C cells.....but they had used Photo-Grade Ray-o-Vac Guaranteed not to leak and they hadn't in 50 years!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
well it was a used item it looks like so it was all ready opened,
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_
If it is a a sealed led acid (SLA) battery then yes.
After all thats whats in USP's and they ship them.

A wet LA like a car battery no way, even if a maint free semi sealed one. Those must go special freight.

PS I had to return 4 bad 12v SLA batteries and they fit in the large USPS Flat rate box. When it weighed 25lbs they asked what was in there... well clerk had to check... and again pointed out that's whats in UPS's the ship all the time... came back well OK.... so I got to ship them back for $13 instead of $38.

International is trickier... but its that small and light I'd just make something up. Nothing is going to go wrong with it and leak toxic material.
--

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
reply to Anonymous_
26 year old battery is nothing but a piece of plastic, and worthless. You are better to send them a picture of what one looks like, and not waste your or their money on this worthless cause.

At that age, they are more dangerous of an item, than a brand new one out of the box being shipped, due to who knows how unstable the electrolytes in it are at this time.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by old_tech:

26 year old battery is nothing but a piece of plastic, and worthless. You are better to send them a picture of what one looks like, and not waste your or their money on this worthless cause.

At that age, they are more dangerous of an item, than a brand new one out of the box being shipped, due to who knows how unstable the electrolytes in it are at this time.

Yeah but the battery is HIGH quality deep cycle battery.

Not a china mart battery.
--
Live Free or Die Hard...

old_tech
Premium
join:2013-03-31
Springfield, IL
said by Anonymous_:

Yeah but the battery is HIGH quality deep cycle battery.

Not a china mart battery.

Does not matter. It is 26 years old, and is not worth the effort or cost of shipping. By now, the electrolyte material inside is about as dry as the Sahara, and would never hold a charge.

Regardless what the OP wants, they could most likely go to a Batteries plus, etc. or go online and get a brand new battery that will work with the device if they want to.

This may help you better understand about batteries. »batteryuniversity.com/le ··· atteries

»www.ecn.nl/resdas/inflea ··· d_a.aspx