spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Teksavvy Tektalk

Hey all, Ive had tektalk working for a few weeks and all of sudden today it stopped registering. Their support asked me to move the ATA in front of my router however this to me is not a solution as Ive had it working behind the router since I signed up for the service. Any ideas why it may not be working? I have the ATA's IP in my DMZ so ports shouldnt be an issue and nothing has changed hardware wise so not sure what could be the issue - Ive reset both my router and ATA but still not registering. ATA is the CISCO SPA122

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Asking you to connect the ATA directly to the modem with no router is always the first step in troubleshooting for any company. It tells them (and you) right away if it's their problem or your problem.

Even if you're 99% sure it's not your router, they still probably won't help you unless you take out the router and show them it's their problem. And I can't blame them. They don't want to be on the line for an hour troubleshooting something that turns out to be a misconfigured router.

Troubleshooting 101: Start with the easy tests, then move on to the hard stuff.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to DSMdude

Premium Member

to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

Their support asked me to move the ATA in front of my router however this to me is not a solution as Ive had it working behind the router since I signed up for the service.

As [cybersaga] said, as long as the company is suggesting this for diagnostic purposes (and not as a permanent solution) you should do it.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to DSMdude

Premium Member

to DSMdude
It's safe to connect your SPA122 directly to your modem, because the SPA122 contains a router. This is a good first troubleshooting step.

If that works, we can help you troubleshoot your router. Just let us know the model number, and if you have third-party firmware installed on it.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Strange - I just did a reset on the ATA and re-entered all the values and its working - never changed a thing on my router.

We'll see if it stays registered Appreciate the assistance guys.

My router is an Asus WL520GU with DD-WRT firmware.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Next time, just change the SIP PORT on your SPA122. If that solves the problem, the NAT tables on the router were corrupted. Let us know if that worked or not and we can go from there.

I'm glad it's working now!
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Is that the SIP TCP Port Min and Max Mango? If so, what should I change them to?
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

It's not SIP TCP, but I don't have a SPA122 in front of me and I'm not sure of the specific wording they used on that device. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

NM I see it - currently at 5060
DSMdude

DSMdude to Mango

to Mango
Well its happening again - this time after a power outage. Any suggestions? Ive tried the usual reboot, re-entering the host that sort of thing.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Did you already try to change the SIP PORT, and the problem continues?
Mango

Mango

Premium Member

Assuming my guess is correct,

Check your router in Administration >> Management >> IP Filter Settings and make a note of UDP Timeout.

Then configure your ATA so that its Reg Retry Intvl is greater than the UDP Timeout. If the UDP Timeout is at its default of 120, a Reg Retry Intvl of 150 should be suffice.

If the ATA is "smart" enough not to keep sending Keep Alive packets while unregistered, this should work.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Thanks will try that - before your post however I did a rest of the ata and it picked up an IP from my router but I cant log into it - yet if I were to connect it directly to my laptop with its default IP, I can login just fine. How frustrating
JeanInNepean
join:2012-09-19
Grenoble, FR

JeanInNepean

Hi DMSDude,
One more suggestion. Assign a static IP address to your ATA if you're using DHCP. This will eliminate another path of failure.
rjwells
join:2013-04-29

rjwells to DSMdude

to DSMdude
Did you stick the ATA in front of the router as support suggested? Even if you don't intend to leave it that way, try it. If everything suddenly works then you know you have some sort of problem with that router. If it still is broken, you know the router is fine.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Ive left it behind the router for now but made some changes Mango suggested and so far (since Saturday afternoon) its been fine. Though this time I left it in NAT mode with a static IP so I believe I need to hook up an Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port in order to login whereas when I put it into Bridge, I could log into the ATA through the Internet port. Need to login as the default dial plan isn't so good.
Mango
Premium Member
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

DSMDude, how are things going?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to JeanInNepean

Premium Member

to JeanInNepean
said by JeanInNepean:

One more suggestion. - Assign a static IP address to your ATA if you're [currently] using DHCP. - This will eliminate another path of failure.

I dunno about the rest of what happened here, but I strongly support doing that.

I have done that for my own ATA, because I had done it for all of my regular wired PCs some years ago, to improve reliability, after discovering that it did so for the PCs of one of my customers at the time.

Having Static IPs on local devices also simplifies any Port Forwarding which a person might wish/need to do, IME.

dmbcanada
join:2009-06-01
London, ON
Asus RT-AC66U B1
TP-Link TC-7650

dmbcanada to DSMdude

to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

Hey all, Ive had tektalk working for a few weeks and all of sudden today it stopped registering. Their support asked me to move the ATA in front of my router however this to me is not a solution as Ive had it working behind the router since I signed up for the service. Any ideas why it may not be working? I have the ATA's IP in my DMZ so ports shouldnt be an issue and nothing has changed hardware wise so not sure what could be the issue - Ive reset both my router and ATA but still not registering. ATA is the CISCO SPA122

What are you using DSL or Cable, what speeds?
Expand your moderator at work

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006 to JeanInNepean

to JeanInNepean

Re: Teksavvy Tektalk

As per JeanInNepean

I have Tektalk and assigned it a static IP from the start. We have had no issues with it that being said we are light phone users. Also use the Cisco 122.