uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlgUSF

join:2013-05-06
Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Wow! in Pinellas

Just got WOW Internet installed, and I am pleased with the results. I am not a bandwidth snob, and like that their 15/2 is about $20 cheaper than brighthouse's 10/1.

Details of my install.... The young man who installed it was very professional and installed it exactly how I asked. Since I didn't have an underground cable running from their box to my garage he had to leave it above ground and mark it until a trenching crew could bury it within 8-10 days. I do like the fact the Wow has their employees ground to my meter ground as opposed to my water line, even though it is more work.

I am getting 1.7MB/sec on average which equates to almost 14Mb/sec when I was only getting 1.1MB/sec or almost 9Mb/s with brighthouse. These are real-world results pulling Fedora ISOs over bit torrent.

Since FIOS is not available in my area it is finally nice to have some competition to Brighthouse.

AlgUSF

Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Here are my results from speedtest, like I said not a bandwidth snob, just looking for the best deal. Promised 15/2 for ~$20 cheaper than Brighthouse.

baess

join:2011-01-28

4 edits
reply to AlgUSF
Glad you're getting good service. I'm a longtime customer and generally happy with WOW's service.

As an aside, I thought WOW only offered 15/1 to new customers? On WOW's page for my area it definitely says 15/1 only.

AlgUSF

Seminole, FL
On my area's (Pinellas County, FL) wow page, it says 3/1 or 15/2. I have the 15/2.

»www.wowway.com/wow/our-products/···pinellas

AlgUSF

Seminole, FL
reply to baess
»www.wowway.com/wow/our-products/···pinellas

In Pinellas County, Florida, the 15Mbps internet is two up.

baess

1 edit
That's interesting, different speed offerings for different markets. I think that's new. I guess with all their expansion it was bound to happen.

Apparently a new customer in my market only gets 1Mbps upload. Seems like that could be made more consistent.

AlgUSF

Seminole, FL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
said by baess:

That's interesting, different speed offerings for different markets. I think that's new. I guess with all their expansion it was bound to happen.

Apparently a new customer in my market only gets 1Mbps upload. Seems like that could be made more consistent.

Wow! bought out a under performing provider called Knology, who only offered 7/1 IIRC. I guess when Wow! bought out Knology, they sent Dan down here to juice us up a little. I remember when RoadRunner was first offered here, I would get faster speeds dialing up to the University than I did with my friend's RR service, and now they are offering 90/10.

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
reply to AlgUSF
In Rapid City, SD also. The 15/2 is the package new customers were put on. Knology had a 30/3 package here in Rapid City but that was $20 more than the popular 15/2.

baess

said by devolved:

In Rapid City, SD also. The 15/2 is the package new customers were put on. Knology had a 30/3 package here in Rapid City but that was $20 more than the popular 15/2.

Maybe they have changed it to 15/2 for everyone. Any new customers in Illinois that can comment?

devolved

join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Call W.O.W. and see if they offer 15/2 in your area, if not, why not? They might not have updated the website info.