uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958

Re: [Speed Issues] Grants Pass, OR still getting slow speeds....

Positive. As much as I hate my local office. I was told the same by 2 different people. In my particular area. If you remain on old pricing. You are free to avoid the modem rental and continue to purchase your own. They want $7.00 a month here for a rental. If I ever change my speed tier. That is when I have to use theirs. Ultra is $129.99 along with $200 activation fee. I am paying $84.99 The lower tier is $54.99 here. When they tried to push me to cancel my Ultra service. They offered me a internet 30mb/4mb and phone bundle since we have phone as well with them. $69.99 for both and that is not a promo. They said it was regular price. It would give me a $35 savings. $30 on the net $5 on the phone.
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818

Interesting because I am paying 49.99 for 30/4 here in Medford, OR with no modem rental fee. I actually got a $30 credit last month for all of the speed issues I was having. I was told by the CSR agent at our local office that I had to use their modem and that customer owned modems will be phased out or not supported on their system. They sure do make up a bunch of stuff and charge different prices for the same services and equipment. I guess that is the Charter way.
Ryan818

Ryan818 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
deleted. Duplicate post

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to Ryan818

Premium Member

to Ryan818
said by Ryan818:

Interesting because I am paying 49.99 for 30/4 here in Medford, OR with no modem rental fee. I actually got a $30 credit last month for all of the speed issues I was having. I was told by the CSR agent at our local office that I had to use their modem and that customer owned modems will be phased out or not supported on their system. They sure do make up a bunch of stuff and charge different prices for the same services and equipment. I guess that is the Charter way.

EXACTLY what I was told also and I'm on the same tier and price as you.

I know EVERYTHING varies by area with Charter and once again I'm going to say it. Their left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing!! Wouldn't and don't trust a thing coming out of Charters mouth and doesn't matter if the whole freaking CSR team told me exactly the same thing either. Been there and done that before when told by a couple CSR's how something was going to go and it did not go that way. Luckily, that was back when we still had the Direct forum and that crap got fixed by them.
said by 15444104:

I don't know about the electronic details but as far as hardware robustness (the actual black box) the Moto units seem built to commercial standards and built to last, while the cisco seem more fragile.

The few Ciso's I've seen around here are basically junk! One person I know was given 2 absolutely worthless modems in 1 day! I'd take a Moto over a Cisco any day of the week, if given the option.
Ryan818
join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

Ryan818

Anyone can argue that Cisco is better that Motorola or the other way around. I am just telling you what my experience was with the Cisco DPC3008. I only had the Cisco modem 3 months and it started power cycling and couldn't hold a signal at night. I am fine with Charter supplying me with a 4 channel modem as we don't have 8 channel bonding in our area anyway. When we do receive 8 channel bonding I will request a modem that is capable of doing so. The reality is with the 30/4 package, 8 channel bonding is way overkill. If we ever see speeds over 150 Mbps then yes 8 channel could be worth it. Would I subscribe to it not really. Just my 2 cents.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Yes that power cycling issue was a HUGE problem. I recall in some other posts over in the Comcast forums which also uses this DPC 3008 modem that the the modem is not as tolerant of widely varying signal strength and s/n ratios as compared to say the current similar Moto modems like the 6121, 6141, ect.

I had an old surfboard 5101u and even though it occasionally was dropped off a work desk when the cable got pulled on when vacuuming the floor and the thing never had an issue also the casing didn't even show a scratch or crack.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Motorola modems once the new parent company takes over. My guess is they will not be built as well.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

4 edits

cork1958 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

Positive. As much as I hate my local office. I was told the same by 2 different people. In my particular area. If you remain on old pricing. You are free to avoid the modem rental and continue to purchase your own. They want $7.00 a month here for a rental. If I ever change my speed tier. That is when I have to use theirs. Ultra is $129.99 along with $200 activation fee. I am paying $84.99 The lower tier is $54.99 here. When they tried to push me to cancel my Ultra service. They offered me a internet 30mb/4mb and phone bundle since we have phone as well with them. $69.99 for both and that is not a promo. They said it was regular price. It would give me a $35 savings. $30 on the net $5 on the phone.

I received an IM from some one on here who claims to have been one of the former Direct forum guru's yesterday and was told by that person that I can swap my modem out at anytime, as long as I remain on the old pricing plan.

Edit:
Was just IM'd by the person stating they WERE NOT a member of the Direct forum, which almost makes it harder to believe them, even if they almost sound like they know what they're talking about. As with EVERYTHING ANYONE from Charter claims to know, I'll take it with a grain of salt and worry about it when I cross that bridge!

I called Charter after that and asked about it again and was told I COULD NOT do anything without having to take one of their modems. Even if my modem dies or I wanted to upgrade to an 8 channel capable modem, which I have no need for, I would still have to take one of their modems.

Doesn't sound like Charter COMMUNICATIONS is communicating with their own employees to well!

As for me and this topic, I consider it dead as none of it really has anything to do with me in particular, but does exemplify the fact that most of the people at Charter don't know what they're talking about, whether everything varies by area or not!!

Good luck to those of you having the issue that made this topic what it is.

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

said by cork1958:

I received an IM from some one on here and was told by that person that I can swap my modem out at anytime, as long as I remain on the old pricing plan.

I don't know why you are insulting someone who tried to give you some information they thought you desired.

FWIW, this person's understanding [above] is the same as mine, about what the general practice is now, if you DON'T make any changes to your existing package. And yes, I know there have been exceptions for some people.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

2 edits

cork1958

Premium Member

Where in the world do you come up with me insulting anyone in the part of my comment, or anywhere within the whole comment, you quoted? The closest you can come up with is me insulting Charter as a whole and I do that daily, whether here or working on customers computers!!

Pretty obvious that if you DON'T make any changes to anything, you shouldn't be forced to use one of Charters modems and that is not what was being discussed. Swapping a modem IS making a change and the Charter people here tell me that even if I simply want to do that, I MUST use one of theirs!

I simply stated a fact that Charter basically doesn't know it's a** from a hole in the ground, when discussing various scenarios with them.

As far as that link they gave me for some info I may have wanted, don't you think I have seen that before?

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

msmisfit

Different strokes... I just thought it was unnecessary to give your usual Charter diatribe to someone trying to help you.

If I were a Charter employee, I would consider this insulting:

"Was just IM'd by the person stating they WERE NOT a member of the Direct forum, which almost makes it harder to believe them, even if they almost sound like they know what they're talking about."

I'm not the net nanny, I just don't want the Charter techs who try to help us here, to be discouraged by responses like that. I appreciate their voluntary work here.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member

3 edits

cork1958

Premium Member

said by msmisfit:

Different strokes... I just thought it was unnecessary to give your usual Charter diatribe to someone trying to help you.

If I were a Charter employee, I would consider this insulting:

"Was just IM'd by the person stating they WERE NOT a member of the Direct forum, which almost makes it harder to believe them, even if they almost sound like they know what they're talking about."

I'm not the net nanny, I just don't want the Charter techs who try to help us here, to be discouraged by responses like that. I appreciate their voluntary work here.

Deleted