vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Phoenix22

Premium Member

to Phoenix22

Re: Thumb print required to cash a check?

said by Phoenix22:

you still use currency????????

Why wouldn't I?
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

said by Phoenix22:

you still use currency????????

A lot of us still do. And judging by the number of cash drawers at merchants and banks, many others still do as well. And, if merchants start charging customer fees for credit card usage (since they're now allowed to by the card issuers, and a number of smaller merchants are already doing it), you may see quite a few more folks using cash. (It's a lot easier handing a cashier a $10 bill than writing a check for a quick fast-food meal.)

I will write a check at merchants who decide to charge me a fee to use a credit card. I will write it slowly too and if that pisses off those in line I will explain exactly why I have returned to check writing. I never have more than $5 in cash and I won't carry much more than that so that means I'll have to write checks. I never use an ATM that is not one of my bank's in order to avoid that ridiculous charge. So, if some merchant points me to an ATM in their store that is not my bank's so I can pay cash, I'll just leave and never patronize that store again. I did that a number of years ago at a number of smaller stores and then I noticed they lifted their restrictions on credit card use and I began shopping there again.

The easiest thing to do is use a credit card at a store that requires no signature (and no pin because it is a credit card) for under $50 which is most stores here.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
Click for full size
said by AVD:

90% of humans in the western world over the age of 13 without a facebook account post in this forum.

baaaah

Trihexagonal5
join:2004-08-29
US

2 edits

1 recommendation

Trihexagonal5 to Phoenix22

to Phoenix22
I've never had a credit card, a cellphone, or a Facebook or Twit account. I've never had a flu shot either, for that matter, and haven't had the flu, or a cold, since the mid 90's.

I had to let a local bank take a thumb print to get a payroll check from a local company on their bank cashed. I had already provided a valid drivers license as a photo ID and asked the guy if he doubted it was me or what. I felt like dragging him across the counter by his tie and letting him get a good look, but had to get it cashed.

BBS_4242
@bhn.net

BBS_4242 to vaxvms

Anon

to vaxvms
I had to cash a check recently and they had this entire weird process that took 24 minutes.

You give them the check, they scan it. You then stand on a yellow line and they take a image of your face and then print out a form with a bag where you put a ink stamp of your fingerprint. After that they have a device that also takes your fingerprint and then you wait for it to be authorized over the internet while they put the check inside the bag and then put it inside a drawer. Then they give you the money and then the last two dollars they give you a non-refundable 1$ value paper coupons ONLY FOR USE IN THE STORE THEY ARE LOCATED IN on top of the 2 dollar check cash fee.

Is that even legal? For a 50 dollar check they wasted 24 minutes of my time, took two dollars for the check cash fee and then replaced two more dollars with 1 dollar vouchers for the store they were located in. I had to go home and get my debit card because I didn't have enough money to pay the sales tax on the 45$ item I was buying.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
It's all part of the government's plan to know everything about you. Now that a private entity (the bank) has your print, the government will get the bank to hand it over - just in the same way the telco's will hand over your e-mail, SMS, CDR.

It's all for your own protection. Really.
The government would never purposefully try to use all this information if your were actually innocent.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to CylonRed

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I know of no one who does not use cash at all.

Now you do .

I stopped carrying cash, & writing checks, ages ago.
And I have no cell phone nor Facebook account.

I get asked often, "what happens if", heh.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by therube:

And I have no cell phone nor Facebook account.

In that case your existence is just a figment of our deranged imaginations

»Pretty sure you're dead
quote:
“The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's definition of "Universe":

Population: None.

Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average population of the Universe is zero, and so the total population must be zero.

--The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by Blackbird:

I'd want the check-presenter's actual thumbprint on the check. While remotely possible, it's harder to come by a fake, real-time thumbprint than a fake driver's license or other ID.

But if you were a bank you'd also have managers with a minimum half a brain

"No Thumbprint, No Check-Cashing, Bank Told Armless Man"
»www.foxnews.com/printer_ ··· ,00.html

If they did issue a apology. They know they were in the wrong

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to StuartMW

MVM

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

quote:
“The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's definition of "Universe":

Population: None.

Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of the Universe must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of worlds. But not all of them are populated; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average population of the Universe is zero, and so the total population must be zero.

--The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

There is a problem with the logic. Just because not all of them are not populated does not mean that a finite number are populated it simply means that not all are populated. It does not mean that you can count the number of populated worlds, which would make them finite.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

It's called "humor". Obviously you've never read the book(s).

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
bingo!
Phoenix22

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
hez irrelevant............harold/bob will look out 4him
Phoenix22

Phoenix22 to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
as a u of m alum ..........and patient of the cancer/sarcoma center..........i'm pretty sure hez off his meds........the pharmacy at the center is huge........however the cafeteria is freezing...........now this is humor.......stuart.......in addition to yours
jd